PSVR Sells 915,000, Higher Than Expected

psvr.jpg

Virtual Reality headsets are still in their infancy. Every time someone mentions them, you'll always find dozens of skeptics proclaiming VR simply isn't ready for the mass market, or there's not enough content to fuel a successful VR headset. Whether or not that's true still remains to be seen, but it appears Sony's own VR headset, the Playstation VR, has sold beyond even Sony's own expectations. Sony's internal goal for sales of the PSVR was to hit the 1 million mark after 6 months, sometime in April, but it looks like they're going to hit that lofty goal rather early.

Sony's own Andrew House has announced that PSVR consumer sales, as of February 19th, is currently at ~915,000 units worldwide.

“It’s the classic case in any organization — the guys who are on the front end in sales are getting very excited, very hyped up,” Mr. House said. “You have to temper that with other voices inside the company, myself among them, saying let’s just be a little bit careful.”

It turns out Mr. House was too cautious...In an interview at his Silicon Valley office on Friday, Mr. House revealed PlayStation VR’s sales for the first time, saying consumers had purchased 915,000 of the headsets as of Feb. 19, roughly four months after it went on sale.

Sony’s internal goal was to sell one million of the headsets in its first six months, by mid-April...“You literally have people lining up outside stores when they know stock is being replenished,” said Mr. House, describing the scene in Japan, one of the largest games markets.

Mr. House said the supply of PlayStation VR headsets will improve by April. By fall, Sony expects to begin selling them in Latin America.

This is good news for the VR market. If the PSVR continues selling as well as it is, we're sure to see more AAA companies take up the reins and provide more VR content, which could lead to some seriously cool games (like Resident Evil 7, one of the more successful AAA VR games).

:arrow: Source

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Here in Japan, the PSVR is perpetually sold out. The 'sold out' sign board for the PSVR in my local Yodobashi store is a permenent fixture. I think Sony really underestimated demand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1