psp emulation vs psp homebrew

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Restlesscisco, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Restlesscisco
    OP

Restlesscisco Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    United States
    Hi i am either thinking of getting a psp emulator or buying a psp to homebrew.. Are the psp emulators good enough to play most games? And if i do choose to buy a psp which model is best?

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    No experience with playing PSP on a computer, but the official emulator/compatibility layer on PS3 does a passable job, and Vita/PSTV have perfect virtualization

There are no truly bad models, but the key features of different models are:

1000 and early 2000 series - unbrickable
    1000 - infrared port
    Anything except 1000 = 64MB ram (used by a few plugins and homebrews, mainly emulators)
    2000, 3000, N1000 = Go - video out
    Anything except Go - affordable storage via microSD converters, standard miniUSB data port and commonly available charger
    Go - folding and compact, Bluetooth (with video out and a PS3 controller it makes a fine portable PS1)
    1000, 2000, 3000 - easily replaceable battery (not like there still are any excellent ones on the market), brightness and mute physical buttons (convenient for homebrew plugins)
    3000 and E1000 = Street - brightest screen
    anything except Street - stereo sound, autobooting CFW
    very strongly debated - best screen
    none - good range or WPA2-compatible wifi

My choice is an early 2000, but any model will do its job -- playing media and games

3. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Fan

Mar 23, 2016
    Germany
    PPSSPP is the best emulator on PC and also for android phones. Nearly 100% compatibility. I've never have any problem with it.

PSP is really cheap nowadays, but I would rather suggest a vita for both psp and vita homebrews.

4. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Maniac (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    I HIGHLY suggest you get a PSP since PPSSPP (PSP emulator for PC) is VERY buggy and will even crash on some amazing games (eg: can't even get 10 seconds in any of the Project DIVA games). I advise you to get the 3004 as it has the best compatibility with homebrews and better screen at the mere cost that you need to manually launch CFW (only takes 3 seconds so it's no biggie).

5. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Today PSP screen is kinda shitty to look, and in terms of software, its outmatched by... I dunno, anything. So buy anything else and emulate psp on it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice