Hacking PSA: Nintendo blocked the Sky3DS (partially) through new anti-piracy checks in their upcoming games

NeroAngelo

Clueless Importer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
Oh noes! I can't pirate a few new games for the foreseeable few weeks/months!

question though; I wonder why they went after the Sky and not the Gateway type exploits.

and honestly, until something is proven, this just sounds like another "OMG Nintendo is BANNING Sky/ROM users!!1!"

Last edited by NeroAngelo,
Reactions: mary1517

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
maybe because gateway been blocked since 9.3 and still no emunand on 9.5n3ds?? and so the next target is sky

it will be like a ps3 exploitable system which gets hard to find as years pass

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

question though; I wonder why they went after the Sky and not the Gateway type exploits.

and honestly, until something is proven, this just sounds like another "OMG Nintendo is BANNING Sky/ROM users!!1!"
Gateway has been patched since 9.3 they can't do anything about it. anyone who owns a sky card right now can't play either Fire emblem or Animal crossing not because of "bad dumps" but because of new security measures

tvo770

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
reminds me of the late console life security measures they used in some DS games
It's unlikely Sky will be able to patch them without a hardware update assuming the team is even competent enough to make a hardware update to bypass the new security.

proof of gateway patched ? or just words ...
Um what are you talking about if you need proof just update your console though I wouldn't recommend it as far as making game not working on Gateway no Nintendo can't we have too much control over the 9.2 FW.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I definitely don't know much... but this complaining is just nuts. I don't like buying a new card any more than the next person, who the heck would want to do that. But any way I look at it...

$90.00 (what I paid for my Sky3DS)
650 Games (approximately, as of June 2015) that works on the sky3DS

Lets assume you're using it to backup and play your own games and keep the originals safe and in mint condition when you want to sell them... Priceless really... And you can carry as many of your legal backups as you want... and the few games with AP protection.... well... you're using your Sky for BACKUPS, right? So you have the original of that game anyway.... Non-issue in the short term.

Now, lets assume you are downloading and playing your 3DS games on the Sky 3DS. My quick calculation... and I'm no math whiz....

$90.00 divided by 650 potential games you can load and store from your CURRENT Sky3DS card = $0.1385 per game...

13 CENTS per game... Let that sink in....

How the heck does that make the Sky3DS a waste of money???

13 cents....

Even if I had to buy another Sky3DS for the NEXT 650 games that it would be able to play... I would go out and spend that $90.00 in a second if I could run another 650 games on some new version... Hell, even if I could run just 100 games on another card... that's STILL means only a cost of $0.90 PER GAME...

And the funny thing is, I'm not even a sky3DS fan... I WISH I could use the gateway OR CFW... but I can't, so I use the Sky3DS and it does what I need it to do. If the Gateway every supports 9.9, I'll buy one of those - because I would love the extra features, but my Sky won't be going anywhere, because it will STILL be able to run 650 games !

The old games might cost 14 cents, but new ones will cost a lot more. It all depends on how often Nintendo change their protocol. Maybe Sky will release a revision and then Nintendo will change the protocol again forcing another revision. Etc etc. So each new Sky cart might only be able to play two or three new games. Assuming you buy a new Sky cart every time there is a revision it will cost you $90 divided by how many games were released between changed protocols. Could be $10, $20, $30 or $45 per game. This, with the fact that Sky users might not be interested in one of the small batch of games being able to be playedn (making cost per game they want to play higher), and also that they have to wait weeks for the new revision to come out and then order it and have it shipped to them, means it will probably be more cost-effective for Sky users to just buy the games they want. They can pay for the games they want and not the games they don't want, and play them from release day if they want to. Even if they are determined to stay on the pirate route, once it becomes obvious that Nintendo are going to change the protocol every system update Sky users will probably just shell out for a new system on 9.2 and go the CFW route as that will cost less than continuously buying new Sky cards. I can't imagine anybody sticking with Sky if this is the future. More or nearly as expensive as just buying the game plus waiting weeks or months to be able to play it

Reactions: Zidapi

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why I dont like purchasing 3DS flashcards. They get patched and are not update-able. Ill stick to my cheap R4s that can only run DS games and homebrew.
gateway is updatable and as long as you have an exploitable o3ds you can do just about everything

Reactions: Ericss

LordStarkiller

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This whole thread summed up: This has always been a giant game of Whack-A-Mole/Cat And Mouse. Squash one thing and another crops up. Why? Cause it's human nature to share and people will continue to do so.

Reactions: Deleted-355425

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Gateway and CFW are already patched in newer firmware and they know the supply of <=9.2 systems is drying up, they're probably not too worried.
A 3DS owner nowadays who doesn't already have a flashcart/CFW is more likely to go with the Sky, since it's likely they already updated their firmware (or if they're just getting a 3DS, they'll probably go with the n3DS, which is hard to find on hackable firmware)
Plus, CFW/GW is a bit harder to block completely, since you always have the option to install a .cia version which isn't so easily detectable as long as you stay offline.
They might be able to detect the GW cart but Gateway could just release an update that patches out those checks, it would be a temporary solution at best.

delete this post please. replying to a post on the 13th page. damn forums remembering which page you last read got me again.....
Does it matter? Those posts were only yesterday :P

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love my n3ds w/ gateway. but my GF has a n3ds w/ 9.9 (originally had 9.5 but to take advantage of ironhax updated) I wanted to get her sky3ds but now I do not know if I should. Opinions?

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I love my n3ds w/ gateway. but my GF has a n3ds w/ 9.9 (originally had 9.5 but to take advantage of ironhax updated) I wanted to get her sky3ds but now I do not know if I should. Opinions?

Wait until another "big-name" game release and see if it has the new AP measure, if it does then I wouldn't suggest buying the Sky3DS as you won't be able to enjoy any decent future games, maybe only shovelware.

phoenix_wrong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm its up to you. Do you think she will be content with the catalog of games sky3ds can support? You might want to wait for another big-title game to release and/or the sky3ds team response.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The old games might cost 14 cents, but new ones will cost a lot more. It all depends on how often Nintendo change their protocol. Maybe Sky will release a revision and then Nintendo will change the protocol again forcing another revision. Etc etc. So each new Sky cart might only be able to play two or three new games. Assuming you buy a new Sky cart every time there is a revision it will cost you $90 divided by how many games were released between changed protocols. Could be $10, $20, $30 or $45 per game. This, with the fact that Sky users might not be interested in one of the small batch of games being able to be playedn (making cost per game they want to play higher), and also that they have to wait weeks for the new revision to come out and then order it and have it shipped to them, means it will probably be more cost-effective for Sky users to just buy the games they want. They can pay for the games they want and not the games they don't want, and play them from release day if they want to. Even if they are determined to stay on the pirate route, once it becomes obvious that Nintendo are going to change the protocol every system update Sky users will probably just shell out for a new system on 9.2 and go the CFW route as that will cost less than continuously buying new Sky cards. I can't imagine anybody sticking with Sky if this is the future. More or nearly as expensive as just buying the game plus waiting weeks or months to be able to play it

Wow... in a thread consisting of little more than speculation and masses of Sky bashing, that post just pushes speculation to a whole new level.

The facts are that two Japanese games released over the past month contain some sort of new encryption that no one really properly understands at present, and those two games are currently unplayable on Sky3ds.
The Sky3ds card IS NOT BLOCKED in any way, shape, or form (Gateway is technically more blocked than Sky, as it cannot be used on any sysnand firmware after 9.2... yet it is still very useable on the firmware that allows it... the same is true of Sky - aside from these two games).

Pretty much everything in this thread is conjecture, speculation, and fanboy bias.

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow... in a thread consisting of little more than speculation and masses of Sky bashing, that post just pushes speculation to a whole new level.

The facts are that two Japanese games released over the past month contain some sort of new encryption that no one really properly understands at present, and those two games are currently unplayable on Sky3ds.
The Sky3ds card IS NOT BLOCKED in any way, shape, or form (Gateway is technically more blocked than Sky, as it cannot be used on any sysnand firmware after 9.2... yet it is still very useable on the firmware that allows it... the same is true of Sky - aside from these two games).

Pretty much everything in this thread is conjecture, speculation, and fanboy bias.

True, but since these 2 games are unplayable then it most likely means that the next to come are the same. Aka, blocked. No one is saying that gateway is not blocked, we know it is, but there is a difference in card being blocked by firmware (gateway) and the card being blocked by games (sky3ds) Honestly I would prefer to have an n3ds on old firmware 9.0-2 and be able to play all games, then be on 9.9 and only play games older than august 2015.

PS: I like your icon.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is full of retards. If it is proven that sky can't play games that house new encryption than Nintendo will start rolling out new games with this same encryption. What does that mean? It means your sky3ds will soon be rendered useless when it comes to newer games. Since sky3ds team haven't even made any attempts or posted any news on this being worked on, its a good guess that they haven't cracked it either. I can't speak for GW because they haven't released anything about emunand 9.5+.

What follows next when users can't play certain games on sky3ds? We'll wait and see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!