PSA: microSD Management, SMBv1 and Windows 10.

Elysium420 Jan 19, 2018.

1. Elysium420
    OP

Elysium420 Shitposting bastard

Feb 10, 2016
    Greece
    Shitville
    If you've been keeping up with Windows 10 updates, you might have heard that in the latest Fall Creators' Update, SMBv1 has been disabled due to the WannaCry attack. SMB1 is a protocol the 3DS uses for SD Management and honestly it's quite damn old and vulnerable. Nowadays, SMB2 and 3 are considered much better. I found out how to enable it again and make sure it actually works.

In Windows, search for ''Turn Windows Features on or off'' and select it. In the dropdown menu. find ''SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support'' and enable it. Now that's not enough, at least it wasn't for me because my PC kept giving me errors while trying to pair it with my 3DS even after that.

In Windows settings, click on ''Network & Internet'', find the Ethernet or Wi-Fi(depending on your connection) tab and select ''change adapter options''. There you'll find your internet adapters. Right-click on the one you are using and go to Properties. There's a list of items there. Find ''Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)'' and click on the highlighted Properties button. Then click Advanced and then, the WINS tab. On the bottom, you'll find three choices for NetBIOS. Please make sure ''Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP'' is selected, otherwise SD Management won't work.

Honestly, that last setting took me days to find out, but in the end I managed to fix what Windows had ruined for me. I know that SD Management is quite horrible, but some people like me are perfectionists when it comes to their devices. I hope I helped somehow.

2. robertrobertblaze11

robertrobertblaze11 GBAtemp's Empress

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    want to know where i live huh,u perverted stalker
    hmm deep talk

3. Elysium420
    OP

Feb 10, 2016
    Greece
    Shitville
    Okay?

4. robertrobertblaze11

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    i mean what u said happened to my friend too

5. Elysium420
    OP

Feb 10, 2016
    Greece
    Shitville
    Did he/she fix it?

6. robertrobertblaze11

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    nope she broke it in frustation.then she bought a new one.:sleep:

7. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Well let me tell you a story about a clean install Windows 10 Fall Update.

Install it on computer 1, nothing works with SMB. Enabling v1, regedit etc. Nothing works. Install the version before and then upgrade, works like a charm.
    Install on computer 2, clean install. Works like a charm right away, no need to enable SMB v1. Everything works like it should.

So Windows 10 Fall Update is a dick without the right card and drivers.

8. Elysium420
    OP

Feb 10, 2016
    Greece
    Shitville
    Well, a clean install is what I had in mind before I found the fix but I simply have too much stuff on my PC and it's only two months old. Microsoft shouldn't have disabled SMB1 in the first place. No one uses it nowadays for danger to be there, only niche stuff like SD Management require it.

9. TesseractStorm

TesseractStorm GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    That's why it had to be shut down. It's the little used protocols that malware often uses to compromise a system. Somewhat surprised they didn't remove it entirely.

10. Elysium420
    OP

Feb 10, 2016
    Greece
    Shitville
    I understand, but they should have been a bit more direct towards users about disabling it. Honestly, I didn't even know what SMB as a protocol was before this happened. It took me some time to find out it was SMB I had to fix.

11. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    i wish someone would make a pc side app that can connect to the 3ds without having to enable smb1.

12. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    dont you love forced updates. Windows server 2008 R2 has a similar problem when connecting legacy Os like windows 98. The authentication fails because of the security that server 2008 forces. At least in this case its only when accessing server shares from win 98.
    For the 3ds, a virtual machine running windows 7 is the solution.

13. Handymayne

Handymayne Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2019
    Sweden
    This worked for me (has an alternative samba share feature): muCommander. Google it.
    (put "smb://3DS/microSD/" into the adress bar).

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted