Gaming PSA: microSD Management, SMBv1 and Windows 10.

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If you've been keeping up with Windows 10 updates, you might have heard that in the latest Fall Creators' Update, SMBv1 has been disabled due to the WannaCry attack. SMB1 is a protocol the 3DS uses for SD Management and honestly it's quite damn old and vulnerable. Nowadays, SMB2 and 3 are considered much better. I found out how to enable it again and make sure it actually works.

In Windows, search for ''Turn Windows Features on or off'' and select it. In the dropdown menu. find ''SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support'' and enable it. Now that's not enough, at least it wasn't for me because my PC kept giving me errors while trying to pair it with my 3DS even after that.

In Windows settings, click on ''Network & Internet'', find the Ethernet or Wi-Fi(depending on your connection) tab and select ''change adapter options''. There you'll find your internet adapters. Right-click on the one you are using and go to Properties. There's a list of items there. Find ''Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)'' and click on the highlighted Properties button. Then click Advanced and then, the WINS tab. On the bottom, you'll find three choices for NetBIOS. Please make sure ''Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP'' is selected, otherwise SD Management won't work.

Honestly, that last setting took me days to find out, but in the end I managed to fix what Windows had ruined for me. I know that SD Management is quite horrible, but some people like me are perfectionists when it comes to their devices. I hope I helped somehow.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well let me tell you a story about a clean install Windows 10 Fall Update.

Install it on computer 1, nothing works with SMB. Enabling v1, regedit etc. Nothing works. Install the version before and then upgrade, works like a charm.
Install on computer 2, clean install. Works like a charm right away, no need to enable SMB v1. Everything works like it should.

So Windows 10 Fall Update is a dick without the right card and drivers.

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well let me tell you a story about a clean install Windows 10 Fall Update.

Install it on computer 1, nothing works with SMB. Enabling v1, regedit etc. Nothing works. Install the version before and then upgrade, works like a charm.
Install on computer 2, clean install. Works like a charm right away, no need to enable SMB v1. Everything works like it should.

So Windows 10 Fall Update is a dick without the right card and drivers.
Well, a clean install is what I had in mind before I found the fix but I simply have too much stuff on my PC and it's only two months old. Microsoft shouldn't have disabled SMB1 in the first place. No one uses it nowadays for danger to be there, only niche stuff like SD Management require it.

TesseractStorm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why it had to be shut down. It's the little used protocols that malware often uses to compromise a system. Somewhat surprised they didn't remove it entirely.

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
That's why it had to be shut down. It's the little used protocols that malware often uses to compromise a system. Somewhat surprised they didn't remove it entirely.
I understand, but they should have been a bit more direct towards users about disabling it. Honestly, I didn't even know what SMB as a protocol was before this happened. It took me some time to find out it was SMB I had to fix.

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wish someone would make a pc side app that can connect to the 3ds without having to enable smb1.
Windows said:
System error 384 has occurred.

You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack.
Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dont you love forced updates. Windows server 2008 R2 has a similar problem when connecting legacy Os like windows 98. The authentication fails because of the security that server 2008 forces. At least in this case its only when accessing server shares from win 98.
For the 3ds, a virtual machine running windows 7 is the solution.

Focus0685

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This worked for me (has an alternative samba share feature): muCommander. Google it.
(put "smb://3DS/microSD/" into the adress bar).

I sign up in this forum just to say thank you, this worked for me. I tried everything, I was using the SMB 1 protocol before, but some update must have moved something and it absolutly does not work anymore. Even looked into the NETbios option this thread mentions, but nothing worked.

Reactions: SnakeOil992

logicdrip

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I sign up in this forum just to say thank you, this worked for me. I tried everything, I was using the SMB 1 protocol before, but some update must have moved something and it absolutly does not work anymore. Even looked into the NETbios option this thread mentions, but nothing worked.

As this friend here, i signed up only to say THANK YOU!!!!!!

Reactions: SnakeOil992

logicdrip

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I am glad this works for you guys.

Damn, are you also a Greek ???
Anyway, thank you very much friend !!!!
I was looking for a long time to see what was wrong!

[Ρε εισαι και Ελληνας παναθεμα σε ??? :P
Οπως και να χει σε ευχαριστω πολυ φιλε !!!!
Εψαχνα πολυ καιρο να δω τι εφταιγε!]

Last edited by x65943, , Reason: Please type in English

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Isn't there some homebrew you can use to have a more secure transfer protocol than SMB 1.0? There should be a more secure way to conveniently locally connect to a 3ds' SD card and edit files on there.
Did you read any of the other posts in this thread? FTP is more secure than SMB 1.0, and you can also use muCommander if you don't want to enable SMB 1.0 at a system level.

Why did Nintendo need to make the Micro sd cards so hard to access. Some people like me don't like wearing out the screws. (It's not like you can easily remove them anyways because they have plastic washers in them)
It seems to me that corruption is more likely to happen when removing and inserting the SD card. Many people's cards seem to work perfectly fine right up until they take them out and try to use them in their computers, so it seems reasonable that Nintendo might try to discourage that. And besides, many smartphones are already built that way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night