Hacking PSA - Do not use the R4i-B9S Revert Flasher!

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
nice. but picture is of clone.
cndstt.com is clone that cloned fake killer firmware into theirs to brick originals.

also website is long gone. card unsupoprted. should just be pre-flashed ntrboot before shipping if requested.
as with ALL R4's they are clones the original do not exist anymore.

i got a DSTT from there for testing, works perfectly fine.

Reactions: Hmed

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
still surprised there's no firmware link that I can see.

most other places seem to have raised the price a lot.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone with a bit of common sense knows it and gets it.
But the vast majority of pirate kiddies here don't care or simply refuse to care and will continue to purchase shitcards.
Not to mention facebook people who heard via via that they can get a magical card from the internet that allows them to pirate.

It's a battle you'll never win.
Especially not with so many companies producing fantastic fakes that contain a timebomb.
Well at some point you have to hold the consumer responsible for doing their research. When working at GameStop I don't know how many times I got yelled at because a parent bought a Wii U game for their Xbox and got mad when it didn't play. Somehow I should have known they didn't own a Wii U and knew it wouldn't work.... When all they had to do was tell me what system they had, or you know look it up themselves. So of course he gets mad because I can't refund it as it's opened and I essentially "robbed" him because he bought something he couldn't use. Not my problem you don't know what you're buying.

Snake Oil sales go through the roof with people that don't care to research a product before purchase. Reviews are a thing for a reason.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well at some point you have to hold the consumer responsible for doing their research. When working at GameStop I don't know how many times I got yelled at because a parent bought a Wii U game for their Xbox and got mad when it didn't play. Somehow I should have known they didn't own a Wii U and knew it wouldn't work.... When all they had to do was tell me what system they had, or you know look it up themselves. So of course he gets mad because I can't refund it as it's opened and I essentially "robbed" him because he bought something he couldn't use. Not my problem you don't know what you're buying.

Snake Oil sales go through the roof with people that don't care to research a product before purchase. Reviews are a thing for a reason.

If some anus where to do that in me store, I'd simply tell them "fuck off"
What you gonna do? call for me boss?
Tough luck for you buster, you're speaking to him.

People are dumb and they'll never learn.
Doesn't matter how idiot proof you make things, someone will make a better idiot.

Kitlith

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
kitl.pw
XP
Country
United States
Their reverter doesn't appear to have any brick code, but it does appear to have several failure points.

First off, it uses the flash to detect if it is actually the right cart, and appearantly uses a hash of a portion of the flash in some crypto. So, if your flash isn't exactly as they expect it to be, it won't detect it.
Second off, it erases and writes to the entire cart. If something goes wrong, poof goes the data that should be there.

(As a few funny sidenotes: They applied crypto to their flash file, and then decrypt it before flashing. 1. they left in the code a debug feature to dump the decrypted stuff to file, so if you wanted you could patch it to trigger the debug feature. 2. This doesn't even matter if you know how to read from flash -- they didn't bother to try and obfuscate their reading/writing code, so... )

Meanwhile, we're working on support for these carts in flashcart_core/ntrboot_flasher. Reading works for sure, writing works on a related cart (r4isdhc.com), ntrboot injection isn't implemented yet.

Last edited by Kitlith,

sp3off

GBATemp's least active boy
Trophies
XP
Country
France
18 euros on "jvmonde" (France) so it's a bit more expensive...wow

Meanwhile, idc because I'm already on B9S thanks to my reaction to haxes and because I always want the newer version xD.

+ I have a R4i-3DS from that same site xD.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

That's interesting, we have EB Games here which I believe is the same company as GameStop, and they have a policy where you can bring it back for any reason within seven days of purchase (eg you just didn't like the game). Surprised the policies aren't the same with GameStop.

Reactions: Hmed

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's interesting, we have EB Games here which I believe is the same company as GameStop, and they have a policy where you can bring it back for any reason within seven days of purchase (eg you just didn't like the game). Surprised the policies aren't the same with GameStop.
We have that too but you can't get a refund in cash or anything, you can exchange it for something of equal price or take store credit. We only give full refunds on unopened games within 7 days.
EDIT: Or you can sell it back if you really want cash. Once it's opened GameStop considers it "used".

Last edited by Majickhat55,
Reactions: Hmed and Quantumcat

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
We have that too but you can't get a refund in cash or anything, you can exchange it for something of equal price or take store credit. We only give full refunds on unopened games within 7 days.
EDIT: Or you can sell it back if you really want cash. Once it's opened GameStop considers it "used".
wow, i consider games used when they are opened also, but EBgames sell opened games as new......... I refuse to buy them when they are opened

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, i consider games used when they are opened also, but EBgames sell opened games as new......... I refuse to buy them when they are opened
I agree with you 100%, because they do that all the time; they call it gutting. A lot of stores have claimed to have discontinued the practice but a lot that I know of still do when they don't have cash wrap to rotate.

fonk666

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm REALLY stupid, I misread and used the linked flasher, it seems I just bricked my cart :__( somebody knows some fix to this?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thank you Lilith! I am trying that, it seems to be working, but it is taking a while
It tends to take a hot minute to restore
That makes sense, of course but it also makes me sad.
I actually like my R4i Gold. No timebomb, decent RTS, Wood R4 support, no timebomb.

fonk666

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It tends to take a hot minute to restore

I actually like my R4i Gold. No timebomb, decent RTS, Wood R4 support, no timebomb.

Yesss ! it worked :) thank you very much. (it took like 10minutes though)
Now it looks like a bomberman kart but if I click it it only displays a white screen... I read something in other thread, I'll work on it.
But the cartridge is alive now :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-