Hacking Unbrick your r4i-B9S Card

spkuja

OP
Trophies
Website
www.glaciergaming.co.uk
XP
Country
TO CLARIFY: This restores the card to a working state after it has been bricked, in this case playing NDS roms. Once it is working again you can use the official flasher to revert it back to being able to use ntrboot.

Hey all,

Thanks to an oversight by the R4 team, loads of us were left with bricked r4i-B9S cards. But thanks to the help of so many people over on the thread below (I'll post the link at the end) there is now a method to unbrick the card!

I've provided the files in a zip below (links to their source will be below as well).

* Copy these files to your 3DS memory card
* Make sure your r4i-B9S card is in the gamecard slot
* Boot your 3DS holding start and select ntrboot_flasher from the chain loader
* Press A at the red screen and then select "R4iSDHC family"
* Press the "Restore flash" option and wait.

It should read the backup and then start writing the chunks one by one (32 in total). Once it is completed, when you boot your 3DS the gamecard should show up as Touch! Bomberman Land.

And that's it! You can now restore it to the B9S installer mode and back to the DS mode as normal using the official flasher from the r4i-SDHC website.

Sources:
Clean firmware thanks to @pandavova https://gbatemp.net/threads/r4i-b9s-flashcart-tested-and-impression.484620/page-22#post-7633078

The modified ntrboot_flasher thanks to @AngelSL https://gbatemp.net/threads/r4i-b9s-flashcart-tested-and-impression.484620/page-23#post-7633409

Forum post where this was all worked out: https://gbatemp.net/threads/r4i-b9s-flashcart-tested-and-impression.484620/

Also, special thanks to @Kitlith who was also helping to figure out the issue and @Yandere-chan who was also able to confirm the method worked

I really hope this helps everyone affected by this issue and thanks to everyone who helped find a fix! I didn't find the fix, I just wanted to post an easy how-to guide on getting the card running again.

Obligatory warning: As always, although this seems to work without any problems, I can't be held responsible for any damage you may do to your console and or flashcard. Do this entirely at your own risk.

Attachments

• Unbrick r4i-B9S.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 907
Last edited by spkuja,

Spwnrpe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
@spkuja is the goal to restore a B9S to its original state (which is ntrboot?) or to NDS? In your attached zip you've added the nds.bin not the ntrboot.bin from the zip posted by @pandavova - if the goal is to restore the B9S to it's original state shouldn't it be the ntrboot.bin (as backup.bin) in your zip?

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I do it the flashcard says Touch!Bomberman Land. If the card was supposed to be flashed with NTRBoot would the icon change? The 2DS im using it on just boots into the homemenu

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could anyone help me? When ever I boot using X+Start+Select+Power BUtton, iut looks like its turning on, then the screen goes black. Ive held it for about a minute anad then turned sleep mode off and it said there was nothing in the game cad slot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol