Hacking R4i-B9S flashcart: tested and impression

jamesbox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a R4i-B9S from max-console.com yesterday and tested it out. At the beginning my Old 3DS is on firmware v11.6.0-39U, and finally I managed to use R4i-B9S flashcart to hack the console and install 3DS CIA games. Take a look at the following pictures: I installed a US region 3DS CIA as well as a Japan region CIA.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. Please make sure the first SD card is the original one of your 3DS console, otherwise it will show errors when installing B9S.
  2. At step 5, please remove the magnet first and then hold power button to power off, otherwise the 3DS console can’t be powered off.
  3. At step 12, When it shows “copy successful”, first click A and then click B to return to B9S menu. Only at B9S menu can you press Start button and reboot the system.
  4. Make sure the targeted SD card(for installing games) is authentic TF card, and with enough capacity, otherwise the convert and installation of CIA games may fail

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017/10/10 (updated)
Just got the B9S updater from the r4i-sdhc factory and have successfully switched the R4i-B9S card to R4i-SDHC NDS flashcart.

Here are the steps:
1. Copy r4i-sdhc.firm to SD:Luma\payloads
2. Copy r4i-sdhc.bin to SD:nrtboot, create “ntrboot” directory if not exist.
3. Press “START+POWER” button to run r4i-sdhc.firm.
Note: this can only be used for flashing R4i-B9S card and cannot be used for other cards.

Download here(2017 10.12): https://uploadfiles.io/2wl7t

Take a look at the following pictures:

FROM: http://www.3ds-blog.com/r4i-b9s-flashcart-tested-and-impression/

Last edited by jamesbox,

jamesbox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you dont need the original sd card from the console. Just make sure that whatever you are going to use its fat32

Formerly I used a non-original SD card, and it prompted error every time I tried. But once I used the original SD card, it worked smoothly. So I just said that as recommendation based on what I experienced, though it's not necessarily correct.
: )

BlazeStoneZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I want to buy 1 here in the Netherlands, but can't find where.
Because they are saying on some sites the transfer service is free.
But it isn't

Byokugen

Unit_01
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I want to buy 1 here in the Netherlands, but can't find where.
Because they are saying on some sites the transfer service is free.
But it isn't
Check the Temp sponsor, they are available

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So it's officially confirmed that it only installs B9S? No NDS games? No kernel? Just B9S?
Yup, you are correct

Reactions: KoalaBoy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yup, you are correct
Cool, I kept reading like 3 different answers to that I wanted at least one physical test for conformation.

With that said, then the cart is a complete ripoff if you can only use to install B9S. There's no reason to invest in a single function cart unless you are intending to setup shop and flash more systems. Otherwise without any other function for this cart, then there's no reason to keep it.

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
that cart kinda sucks tho. I mean it does install b9s but like with the other carts you have a couple of reasons to still use it like nds games and dsi ware
But this kinda defeats the point of even being a "nds flashcart" since it does not even play nds games. Sure it installs b9s but point still stands

jimmyj

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed every single picture of this cart avoids showing the top of the cart. Does this cart still have a microSD slot?
It comes pre flashed and does not play games, doubt it has a micro sd card slot

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I noticed every single picture of this cart avoids showing the top of the cart. Does this cart still have a microSD slot?
Even if it did why would it need it?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It comes pre flashed and does not play games, doubt it has a micro sd card slot
That's not confirmation. I want to see what kind slapjack job these assholes provided
Even if it did why would it need it?
To confirm just how poor a job they did when creating this cart. I want to know if it's just re-flashed previous cart or if they actually put a little effort into making something "new."

Last edited by The Catboy,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The team confirmed it as well:
I didn't see that quote before. I skimmed through the other thread previously and saw different answers. Thus I decided to wait until someone actually got one to ask these questions.

jimmyj

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's not confirmation. I want to see what kind slapjack job these assholes provided

To confirm just how poor a job they did when creating this cart. I want to know if it's just re-flashed previous cart or if they actually put a little effort into making something "new."
probably made new ones but without an sd card slot to make em cheaper

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.