R4i-B9S flashcart: tested and impression

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jamesbox, Sep 21, 2017.

1. pikatsu

pikatsu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 16, 2014
    Argentina
    I own a r4i-sdhc 3ds rts for nds games (2014 version i think) not the b9s version. How can i use it to install b9s if i need? Is there an option yet? A guide?

2. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    pikatsu likes this.
  3. MrAnonymousMann

MrAnonymousMann Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2018
    United States
    Hello, I know this thread is a bit old/dead but I was wondering if someone can help me. To sum things up I forgot to make a backup of my Ace3ds plus card and I flashed a backup from online on its. My N3ds can now read it but instead of it shows as a Spongebob game, it shows as Deep Labyrinth and when I boot it up, it won't load past the white screen. Now when I use the ntrboot flasher that I first used install cfw and select Ace3ds+ or any over option, it tells me that my flashcart is not supported. Is there a build of this flasher (or any flasher) that can force load my backup for Ace3ds plus? Thank you

4. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    I would think that the flasher should work if you have a functional firware backup of the same model of card. As in same year, same chipset, etc. If the backup is of a different card (like a clone) it might work properly.

MrAnonymousMann likes this.
  5. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    the issue is he restored the wrong backup before, and now it's not detected as an ace3ds+ anymore.

so now he needs to force restore the correct one.

btw look slike i was right about r4isdhc.com.cn carts being an ace3ds+ clone.

Last edited by Zaphod77, Feb 23, 2018
    MrAnonymousMann and RedBlueGreen like this.
  6. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah that's along the lines of what I thought. Is there a homebrew that would work or does he need an actual hardware flashing method?

MrAnonymousMann likes this.
  7. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    it should be possible to get a newer build made of ntrboot_flasher that will allow you to force cart type selection and flash it.

the issue is ntr_flasher won't recognize the cart as anything anymore cuz it has corrupt firmware.

MrAnonymousMann and RedBlueGreen like this.
  8. MrAnonymousMann

MrAnonymousMann Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2018
    United States
    Thank you guys for the help, sorry for taking so long to reply back. I just ordered another card but from my understanding, it might be possible to still save this card if I make a backup my new one and flash it on this one. Is this correct or no? They used the same firmware (I order this card in December so its only 3 months older then the new one).

9. MrAnonymousMann

MrAnonymousMann Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2018
    United States

Ok, I just tried with someone else backup of the same card. It didn't work so @Zaphod77 is right, looks like I need to somehow get a new build of the flasher that can force flash to the Ace3ds plus in order to save it. The only problem is I have no idea who can make the new build for me (lol I'm a mod user not maker as you can tell, this stuff is way beyond my understanding). Is there can one that you know that I can ask to make the build or I just me to wait it out?

10. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ So unholy, sister of grace

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I know I am late and this is beating a dead horse, but I wanted to point out that I was actually right when I said this. Recently I bought both the R4i-B9S and the R4i SDHC 3DS RTS (both from NDS-card) and I just happened to have a little time to take them both apart. This is what I found inside of them
    R4i-SDHC
    20180810_031449.jpg 20180810_031500.jpg
    R4i-B9S
    20180810_031546.jpg 20180810_031500.jpg
    I tried to get as much detail as possible to show that they are literally chip for chip, the same cart. They have the same board number, the same chip numbers, they are the same product. The R4i-SDHC team really did just re-flash a couple of their carts and start selling them with 2$ more to rip people off. This cart will always be a piece of shit and team will always be a horrible team who didn't send me my free cart.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Aug 10, 2018
  11. Technicmaster0

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    But that's known since like forever. Other teams have the same hardware aswell (although some have different revisions; look at the "3" in the bottom right corner of your card and the "WWW.R4iSDHC.COM" and the "4" of these cards):
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by Technicmaster0, Aug 10, 2018
  12. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I know, but I couldn't just sit there knowing I made a comment and finally had the proof to backup my comment. I made the comment that they were the same cart, finally got both of them, and now I can officially say without doubt that my comment was right.
    That and of course backup my previous statements that this cart is indeed a rip off.

Quantumcat likes this.
  13. Technicmaster0

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    You can even use flash backups of all 4 cards with all of them. You can turn a r4isdhc.com card into a r4i-sdhc.com card etc.

14. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I actually had more that came to mind after I made that post. I noticed that they do slightly move some pieces around, which is most likely done to effect the kernel launcher itself. Although I was able to prove that they kernel launchers can all use the same "R4iMenu" folder, so long as you rename the launcher to *anything*.nds and use ysmenu as a middle man.
    The point of my post however was to point out that my previous statement was indeed correct. I commented several times in this thread that the the R4i-B9S was nothing more than a reflashed R4i-SDHC, literally just being the same cart you could already buy for cheaper, just pre-flashed with NTRBoot. I didn't have the cart to back this up and I really didn't find anyone who willingly took their carts apart to prove it (I did skim through all 37 pages.) Recently I bought the cart and I took it upon myself to take them apart to prove without a doubt that my statements were correct. This was more a matter of pride than anything else. I finally had the confirmation that I needed and felt like sharing it with the community.

15. Technicmaster0

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    I think that the chips got moved around is mainly due to part supply - nothing more. The main difference between all the cards from the DS's perspective is the content of the flash memory which slightly differs. It's enough to flash another kernel with the ntrboot flasher if you want to use another kernel.

16. GhostLatte

GhostLatte Yet Another Shitposter

Mar 26, 2015
    Antarctica
    At least M3 had some level of competency.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  17. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    It could just be their firmwares that effect their kernel differences. Regardless at least those carts look different to anyone not paying close enough attention. These two are literally just the same cart, no attempt to hide this fact from even the most untrained eye.

jimmyj likes this.