Hacking R4i-B9S flashcart: tested and impression

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
probably made new ones but without an sd card slot to make em cheaper
Ok, but I am trying to get a solid answer from the OP. I am happy you are trying to help, but for these aren't solid answers.

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I do greatly appreciate the enthusiasm, so don't take this personally.
I just kind of waited since they announced this to see if they kept the microSD slot. If they have the microSD slot that would speak volumes about this team.

jimmyj

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just kind of waited since they announced this to see if they kept the microSD slot. If they have the microSD slot that would speak volumes about this team.
nah I don't take anything personally on the internet so don't worry

Reactions: The Catboy

some1ne

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It would be interesting to dump the card and see if they simply used https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s0s42cypvpqv18r/AADy_bSUOFdfF3dSPxFq3hhla?dl=0.

I also won their contest and I'm waiting for the cart to arrive. I'm almost sure they flashed that image to it. If we manage to get dump/flash functionality working on this cart, we can restore the original image to play NDS games.

Yes, it does have an SD card slot. You can see pictures of the cart here:
https://www.digitopz.com/r4ib9s-preflashed-ntrboot-supporting-b9sluma-3ds-cfw-p-1679.html

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

jimmyj

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's all I wanted to know, thank you! ^_^
Now I can officially call this cart and the team behind a piece of shit.
so is that basically just confermation that it is just another cart that has been flashed? So does that mean that if we had a backup of the flash of whatever cart this is a clone of we can make this be a real ds flashcart?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It would be worse if they removed the SD slot because with the SD card slot included you can just restore a flash image to be able to play DS games.
As true as that is, it does show that they spent little to no time working on this cart. If they were aiming to have a single purpose cart, then there's no reason to have a microSD card slot. It just shows that instead of either making the cart work like the ak2i or releasing their own patch for their carts, they literally just flashed a few of their carts to make a quick buck. I know it's all about money, but they could have put more effort into ripping people off.
Basically this just reaffirms my previous statement that the cart is a complete ripoff.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yup, we just need ntrboot_flasher to support it.
I think that you can't write to the flash chip from the DS. That's why there is no ntrboot_flasher support. You have to unsolder the chip and write to it via hardware (which you can see in the image in the dropbox).
As true as that is, it does show that they spent little to no time working on this cart. If they were aiming to have a single purpose cart, then there's no reason to have a microSD card slot. It just shows that instead of either making the cart work like the ak2i or releasing their own patch for their carts, they literally just flashed a few of their carts to make a quick buck. I know it's all about money, but they could have put more effort into ripping people off.
Basically this just reaffirms my previous statement that the cart is a complete ripoff.
The market probably isn't big enough. These cards have to be mass manufactured in order to be competetive.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The market probably isn't big enough. These cards have to be mass manufactured in order to be competetive.
I mean, they could have just kept the same cart and blocked the microSD card slot with some plastic. I know it's just as lazy, but at least it gives the illusion of effort.

some1ne

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I think that you can't write to the flash chip from the DS. That's why there is no ntrboot_flasher support. You have to unsolder the chip and write to it via hardware (which you can see in the image in the dropbox).
It has an "official" updater. You have to use their "kernel" to update the cart's flash.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I mean, they could have just kept the same cart and blocked the microSD card slot with some plastic. I know it's just as lazy, but at least it gives the illusion of effort.
Maybe we'll see that in a future version :D

It has an "official" updater. You have to use their "kernel" to update the cart's flash.
Are you sure that there are firmware updates avaible for the latest hardware version?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Probably cheaper to waste 10 cents for each card ("waste", it's not like they're rare or not getting back 5x of the cost) than retool a factory for what after all is a side product
This is one of those rare moments where I just want to be mad about this. I see that microSD slot and it's like, "Why?" It's like having a USB port on your toaster.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: