Hardware PSA: Do not use a third party dock with switch on 5.0.0

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And when you need more the 1 Dock?

Buy more official docks for $60 each. Take them apart if you want to change their form factor.

*None* of the 3rd party docks understand Nintendo's proprietary standards for signaling how much power they need, because they follow PDP standards instead. The cforce boards in particular were made for docking galaxy s9s and just happen to use the same display standard (but not power standard) as Switch. They might be safer than Nyko but that doesn't make them safe.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Buy more official docks for $60 each. Take them apart if you want to change their form factor.

*None* of the 3rd party docks understand Nintendo's proprietary standards for signaling how much power they need, because they follow PDP standards instead. The cforce boards in particular were made for docking galaxy s9s and just happen to use the same display standard (but not power standard) as Switch. They might be safer than Nyko but that doesn't make them safe.

60$? They are cost in germany 90€!!!
Thats the normal price!! Thats are around 103/4$!!

The problem is nintendo with his Non Standard usb Port.
Its not our problem when nintendo Use the USB but doesnt Use the USB Standard and ignore it!

The switch Dock Use or Dock Mode a Modus that Use the S9.
But that doesnt mean only nintendo Docks can Use.

There are Bad Docks like scorel and nyko with problems since Release.
These are the origins of these brick news.
The Main origins is a User that mod his switch and overheating.

There are good Docks like cforce or coov and they are safe.

IT is a fake to say all Dock that are not from nintendo will brick the switch.

The User of the good Docks Use them since a Year now without problems.
A whole german nintendo community Use coov without problems on the switch.

I can hear it anymore that all Non nintendo Docks brick the switch.
That Idiot trump talk!

Gesendet von meinem Huawei P10 mit Tapatalk

Last edited by Liriel,

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh yeahh He mention the User that come with All Non Dock bricks.
You tuber are no good origins for everything.
The most are talk what Others talk again and again.

There are Company that Make a own board that are spezifik to work with the switch without problems.
These are the good Boards.
Coov Make her own working Boards without problems.

The crap Boards Use only Bad copy of the Board.

Its fake news that all Non nintendo docks are Make bricks.

There are enough docks that work without problems with before and after 5.0.

There are Many that Use a 5v Power supply with a Dock and wonder why the damage the switch.
Use the right Power supply and no problems with the good Docks.
Why are using communitys since Year coov Docks without problems?

Span wave is the origins of Non n Docks brick the switch.
But He mod his switch with change memory Modul, overheating the switch and Co.
Thats no really trust origin.
He also Use the crap nyko Docks that are damage the switch since it is released.

These whole haunting Non n Dock is that what These Idiot trump Make in the Politik.
Thats a fake news hunt like trump Make with Europe and germany

Last edited by Liriel,
Reactions: ByteBite

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are Company that Make a own board that are spezifik to work with the switch without problems.
These are the good Boards.
Coov Make her own working Boards without problems.

The crap Boards Use only Bad copy of the Board.

I don't know about Coov but the cforce you are arguing is safe, is just a rebrand of an unmodified board made originally for android smartphones and never intended for Switch.

There are enough docks that work without problems with before and after 5.0.

However safe they are on 5.0, you have to wonder if we have this discussion again with 6.0 or later. Nintendo screwed people once they can do it again.

There are Many that Use a 5v Power supply with a Dock and wonder why the damage the switch.
Use the right Power supply and no problems with the good Docks.
Why are using communitys since Year coov Docks without problems?

Span wave is the origins of Non n Docks brick the switch.

SW used an official charger with the Nyko and got bricked, so have others. The official charger is capable of delivering enough power to fry a switch in docked mode, its up to the dock to properly manage it.

Likely the only way you have a safe 3rd party dock, given that none of these understand Nintendo's power standards, is if their maximum power draw is low enough to be always safe. That means lower than what an official charger can deliver. I can believe such docks exist, but its hard to recommend using it when no-one has done the research proving one way or another.

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nyko warn to Use the official Power supply with her Dock.
You should Use the nyko Power supply.
But nyko Have problems since Release with the dock.

Coov Make the Pro Serie of their Docks that has the Firmware Upgrade possible.

But Many with bricks Use 5v with the Docks.
With the right Power supply the save Docks should doesnt Make problems.

The diskussion come every time again since 5.0.

Last edited by Liriel,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
was nyko the company that made that horrible fan attachment for the xbox 360 that snapped on to the back of it? I remember scorch marks happening with those. lol

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes nyko can Make good Things but electro Things are Bad.

The s8 and the switch Use in the Docks the Same codec.
Because that the Docks works with both Devices.

Coov has Make his own board for the Dock thats not the Same is like the Others.
The knew get Firmware Updates Because of the switch System that IT is fit for future Updates.

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I never See a USB cable on with stand what resistors is in it.
None of the cable i can get it in germany has something on it package.

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But i never See that on a package.
But i dont Use Power Bank on the switch.

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about Coov but the cforce you are arguing is safe, is just a rebrand of an unmodified board made originally for android smartphones and never intended for Switch.

However safe they are on 5.0, you have to wonder if we have this discussion again with 6.0 or later. Nintendo screwed people once they can do it again.

SW used an official charger with the Nyko and got bricked, so have others. The official charger is capable of delivering enough power to fry a switch in docked mode, its up to the dock to properly manage it.

Likely the only way you have a safe 3rd party dock, given that none of these understand Nintendo's power standards, is if their maximum power draw is low enough to be always safe. That means lower than what an official charger can deliver. I can believe such docks exist, but its hard to recommend using it when no-one has done the research proving one way or another.

Its not the cable it is the nyko dock 100%
nyko was bricking consoles even before the 5.0
Some believe 5.0 made it worse as im guessing Ninty changed there charging/power profile
and as for the nintendo standard for usb ,its not others at fault its nintendo as they use a non USB-PD spec compliant.

NINTY SWITCH DOCK AND CHARGER if you wish to avoid possible brick

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
maybe this is a stupid question, but what happened to your original dock to need a third party one? is this for portability?
In my case, yes. The original dock is bigger than the Switch itself. And just look at the C-Force CF002, it's barely bigger than a flash drive.
Is there a portable dock that is safe to use these days? Would love to be able to take a dock with me to play with friend that don't own a switch.

Also, is it save to power the switch using a powerbank with a usb A --> usb C cable?
You can get one of the dock shells that fit the original dock, but avoid the ones that have the form factor of the original dock board (square board) and come with the internals. The reason is because the SFANS adapter is confirmed to use the COOV HBoard i3, a board commonly sold as a replacement for the original dock board, same form factor, and it fits right into these 3rd party shells designed for the original dock. The problem is, the SFANS adapter uses this very same adapter, and those are confirmed to brick Switches, even before 5.0.
Anyway, the C-Force adapters as far as I can tell haven't caused any bricks. They do however tell you that once you put the Switch into sleep mode, you need to unplug and replug the adapter to get it working again. But, like you I'm not willing to risk my expensive Switch, which is why I asked if anyone's experienced bricks with the C-Force adapters. But from my googling, it doesn't seem like anyone has, so that's probably the safest. Avoid Nyko, avoid COOV, avoid SFANS, and avoid generic adapters, as those are the ones known to cause bricks.
I really like the CF002 though. It's so compact it's crazy:
HATIs9i.jpg

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Mmh i Use the coov Docks with the original Nintendo Power supply.
But i Use a 3rd Party 15v Power supply too.

The Power supply Have the Same output like wie on the original supply.
5v 1.5A and 15v 2.6A.

And Nintendos answer only Use lizenz Things could be understand that they say that you buy the thing of Nintendo only.

I think it is Bad that big n Use usb typ c but dont Use the standards.
USB is Standard and should work with every thing Because of the standards.
And every one think usb is usb Because of the standards.

But nyko says to not Use the original Power supply on the Dock.
They say to Use the nyko Power supply on the nyko Dock that come with it.

Avoid.
I had heard many claims of SFANS docks bricking Switches (this was before 5.0), someone said it was using the COOV Hboard i3, and I mentioned to avoid COOV boards on here, but one person didn't believe me. However, I opened up my own, and sure enough:
HATKC2l.jpg

Maybe the SFANS power adapter was the issue, not the dock, but I'm not risking my expensive Switch for a cheap accessory that has a 50/50 chance of bricking my Switch over time.

It shouldn't matter. The Switch is not 100% USB-C compliant, but in theory it shouldn't be harmed by USB-C compliant chargers/docks.
Nintendo uses USB-PD. It's how it signals how much power it needs. It's not properietary. They just didn't follow the spec properly. That alone is not enough to damage the Switch however. It's been tested, in fact, from the testing that's been done, even a non compliant charger shouldn't damage the Switch. And no one's complained of being bricked by 3rd party chargers. These 3rd party docks are doing something to brick Switches that the chargers aren't. Maybe it's the combination of bad dock and bad charger that's doing it, who knows. All we know is that these unofficial docks are doing something special that's bricking Switches. Chargers alone don't seem to do it.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The hboard i3 is the Old board and only Use in the sh500.
The sh350 has a other board and the Pro Serie from coov too.
And There are Many User of the hboard i3 without problems.
What proof Have you that sfans Use the hboard i3? Picture?
And why has sfans problems and coov Docks not.

That the switch doesnt goes out of the stand by in the dock is wrong!
The switch goes out of stand by but the dock doesnt send the picture but the Sound and controller reaction is there.
These are only probs of the old Non pro Serie of coov.
And this only problem doesnt brick the switch.

And why has a whole german comunity no problems and sfans Docks problems when they should Have a coov board in it?

Thats really Strange!

Has you one of the Docks or is it only talking?

Coov Docks working good without bricks when you Use the correct Power supply and Not a 5v supply.

Perhaps the creapy crap Power net of the US that Make problems? Spannungsspitzen zb?

To say coov Make Problem and a whole comunity Use it without problems is like the Idiot trump fake news.

Sfans was a fake from Beginn but enough Idiot Have believe it.

And the nintendo Dock is a whole overpriced plastic with a little board and cost in production under 20€.
The price of 90€ is Apple like.!

And trully a Nintendo Dock can also damage the switch.!

Last edited by Liriel,

Paternacide

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I simply took apart my official dock and swapped the board and connectors into a low profile dock case i found on amazon. temperatures noticeably lower than with the old dock, and no bricking chance at all!

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I simply took apart my official dock and swapped the board and connectors into a low profile dock case i found on amazon. temperatures noticeably lower than with the old dock, and no bricking chance at all!
Thats not the Themen of the thread and when you need more Then 1 Dock is your Methode silly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1