PSA: Do not use a third party dock with switch on 5.0.0

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Hayato213, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Hayato213
    OP

Hayato213 GBAtemp Addict

Dec 26, 2015
    United States

Seem to be the case 5.0.0 update is causing brick for people who are using a third-party dock.

2. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Good thing I'm not updating.

Insighted and Solitario like this.
  3. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Don't use the Nyko dock that has been linked to bricked Switches prior to 5.0.0..

Canna, Insighted and Deathscreton like this.
  4. Hayato213
    OP

Hayato213 GBAtemp Addict

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    I'm not pointing at Nyko dock directly, it seem like other third party dock too, it just seem nintendo put something in that 5.0.0 update cause bootrom error and hardware incompatibility.

Last edited by Hayato213, Mar 16, 2018
  5. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    I'll have to look into that. I've only heard about Nyko docks. I

6. Rob Blou

Rob Blou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    I've only heard of 2 ppl that had this problem since 5.0.0 came out. We've heard that from the Nyko dock before 5.0.0 so I would stay away from it until we know for sure what causes the problem. I have a cheap 20$ portable dock from amazon and I'm using the official Nintendo charger and I've had no issues so far but I'm still on 4.1.0

sypherce likes this.
  7. Solitario
    This message by Solitario has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Mar 16, 2018, Reason: one word post.
    Mar 16, 2018
  8. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    Seems like a pretty big issue. Hopefully if this wasn't just random coincidence, Nintendo can push a quick-fix for this issue (that is if it's on their side of things).

Last edited by 8BitWonder, Mar 16, 2018
  9. Rob Blou

Rob Blou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    Just go on amazon, find the Nyko dock, click on 1 star reviews to view them all, read the 9 pages of reviews of people saying that it broke their usb c port and the switch wont charge or boot anymore. All prior to 5.0.0.

10. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Not saying third-party docks AREN'T killing Switches, but... Why would 5.0.0 have anything to do with it?...

11. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    There's always a possibility that a bug could have come from the update causing issues with 3rd party adapters. Hell, for a while Samsung and iPhone would all but reject unofficial chargers.

12. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I'd argue that in all three cases they're hardware incompatibilities

13. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    nyko docks have been killing switches since they came out that's nothing new.
    if you need a 3rd party dock hori has finally started making them play-asia hori.com
    given it's the only officially licensed dock and hori took quite a bit longer making it than any other company i'd wager it's good.

it doesn't come with an ac adapter though and it says specifically to only use the official nintendo plug.
    also i wouldn't order it off play asia its likely to be reasonably cheaper off amazon.

Last edited by jefffisher, Mar 16, 2018
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  14. gokkar

gokkar Newbie

Newcomer
    May 30, 2016
    United States
    Does this also apply to dock extenders? I have one plugged in to my official dock that I plug my switch into. Will that be an issue?

15. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Shouldn't be, it sounds like it's an issue of improper resistance or voltage regulation

gokkar likes this.
  16. austin5623

austin5623 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2017
    United States
    That's actually not a dock, just a USB hub to connect wired controllers, keyboards, and... not much else. The HORI website says, "Since this product has no HDMI terminal attached, it can not be used in TV mode. Please note." (translated through google translate)

17. gokkar

gokkar Newbie

Newcomer
    May 30, 2016
    United States
    Whew, thank you.

18. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Well, Nyko, yes. That's a given, as they've had reports of said issues prior to 5.0.0.. I'm just saying that bugs that cause this issue do happen.

Last edited by Memoir, Mar 16, 2018
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  19. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    oh i guess you're right i thought the point of the third party dock was to play off tv though. i guess i misunderstood what a dock was supposed to do.

20. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Fan

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    yeah, is there any confirmation that it is something about 5.0.0 specifically that's killing 3rd party docks, or could these reports just be more reports from those unfortunate enough to have received a faulty dock/used the a wrong AC adapter who happened to have updated and have jumped to the conclusion that their misfortune must be tied to the firmware update?

I'm not saying the update to 5.0.0 couldn't trigger something like that unexpectedly, I just question, how exactly that would be the case, and if we're even certain it is the update responsible for these latest docks failing.

TotalInsanity4 and Memoir like this.
  21. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Just seems to be poor circumstance, I guess. Every report I've found is from the Nyko dock owners. I've got an Insignia dock, and haven't had issues. Haven't updated though, so my input is null in this regard.