switch dock can run with any switch model but could it effect cpu and gpu speed

spiderman1234

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Switch can support any dock of any version but can it perform higher cpu gpu with the one it came with? I used another dock and it it seemed it was dropping more frames. I know cpu and gpu go up with dock because it has more wattage but could it be lower with some docks that are different from the model of switch you have or is it all the same no matter what?

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Almost a year ago I discussed a tangent of this topic: if third party docks could kill a Switch.
The official dock by itself doesn't give more wattage, but a more "reliable" and steady one. That's why the Switch always complains about using the original charger with the dock. A lot of different USB-C cables should work with docks in general, but most of the time it depends if the third party dock has the microcontroller to regulate how to deliver energy to the Switch. That's why a couple years ago some docks bricked consoles (Insignia is one brand I recall doing it), since those lack the PD microcontroller. If you're using a third party dock with an unproper PD microcontroller, plus a not PD USB-C, you most likely will brick your Switch in a near future.

Regarding your issue, it's possible that the console isn't receiving proper energy depending on a number of factors: the quality of the USB cable delivering power to the dock, the dock by itself, and the properties of the outlet and the electrical wiring. But also is important to understand that some (if not most) third party docks can induse latency, or even a bad HDMI cable could. There's a lot of possibilities with this, even the console not cooling properly depending on the form of the dock.

SkullHex2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost a year ago I discussed a tangent of this topic: if third party docks could kill a Switch.
The official dock by itself doesn't give more wattage, but a more "reliable" and steady one. That's why the Switch always complains about using the original charger with the dock. A lot of different USB-C cables should work with docks in general, but most of the time it depends if the third party dock has the microcontroller to regulate how to deliver energy to the Switch. That's why a couple years ago some docks bricked consoles (Insignia is one brand I recall doing it), since those lack the PD microcontroller. If you're using a third party dock with an unproper PD microcontroller, plus a not PD USB-C, you most likely will brick your Switch in a near future.

Regarding your issue, it's possible that the console isn't receiving proper energy depending on a number of factors: the quality of the USB cable delivering power to the dock, the dock by itself, and the properties of the outlet and the electrical wiring. But also is important to understand that some (if not most) third party docks can induse latency, or even a bad HDMI cable could. There's a lot of possibilities with this, even the console not cooling properly depending on the form of the dock.
Am I safe if I swap to an official charger now, with my Switch still working?
I mean, is there a component within the Switch whose performance degrades until it causes a brick? Or is it like, “if you've never bricked then you're fine”?
I've used a third-party charger for a long time (they're cheaper lol), but your message made me go back to the official one. I just want to know if I haven't caused any damage to my console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto