Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Nyko is a very very very VERY reputable brand for inexpensive 3rd party accessories, but I wouldn't put it past them to cut one too many corners in the name of costs (as appears to be the case here)
You've got a few too many "very"s in there. They're alright, but their products have always been questionable. Their grip for the Vita was known for not properly charging the system. The battery packs for the 3DS degraded quicker than the stock battery.. The accessories they've made for the 360 were all pretty much garbage...

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've got a few too many "very"s in there. They're alright, but their products have always been questionable. Their grip for the Vita was known for not properly charging the system. The battery packs for the 3DS degraded quicker than the stock battery.. The accessories they've made for the 360 were all pretty much garbage...
Hm... Well, Nyko controllers and controller accessories for me at least have always been really solid

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
In addition to previous reasons, the official additional dock seems to be out of stock where I live as of posting.

So if I was desperate I'd likely go third party or have to buy a second switch.
buyng a new switch just to get a dock ... srs your better off taking your already owned dock with you.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
buyng a new switch just to get a dock ... srs your better off taking your already owned dock with you.

I said if I was desperate, which I'm not.

Although I'm thinking about getting a second switch anyway so it would make sense in a way.

It may also be possible to sell a second console without the dock for around the same difference.

They sell the docks separately Pedro

See my post they were quoting.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I said if I was desperate, which I'm not.

Although I'm thinking about getting a second switch anyway so it would make sense in a way.

It may also be possible to sell a second console without the dock for around the same difference.

See my post they were quoting.
I didn't see the second part at the end, whoops :P thanks ADD lol

phnompenhplaya

Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible that reports of people bricking their switch have updated through the 3rd party adaptor? Im not necessarily saying thats the case with Nyko, but was this the case with your switch? Did you update while connected to the SH350?

You might be on to something. I updated it in handheld mode. Since I was traveling, the SH350 was the only dock I had with me and it bricked the moment I tried to connect it to a TV.

Liriel

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Strange i Update in the handel Mode but it doesnt brick in the sh350 and the sh500 when i plug in it.

Gesendet von meinem Huawei P10 mit Tapatalk

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Strange i Update in the handel Mode but it doesnt brick in the sh350 and the sh500 when i plug in it.

Gesendet von meinem Huawei P10 mit Tapatalk

Liriel your switch still works fine though I take it? You haven't bricked anything with the Coov, Phnompenhplaya, has possibly finalised the 5.0 update while connected to the 3rd ac adaptor. It sounds like it was the first thing he used his switch on since updating(or that it was connected at the time in handheld), Im guessing this isn't the case with you. If your in handheld or shouldn't really matter during the time of the update, especially as none of your switches has bricked.

Last edited by Jackson98,

The_Green_Nerd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know the third party docks giving a lot of problems. 4 of the 9 people with a cheap dock (< €15,00) has brick their Switches: https://gbatemp.net/threads/poll-did-you-brick-your-switch-with-a-third-party-dock.499149/ Not only with 5.0. My switch works fine a €10,- dongle from eBay (but i won't gonna touch it form now on).Also many people on Amazon report that their USB-C dongles stopped working after some time or just after 20 minutes.

I think it's important to conclude that the Switch isn't some low voltage smartphone, but needs good power supplies and good docks. It's a realistic thought that the cheap-ass dongles from China and also the re-branded ones on e-bay, have poorly circuit-designs. Causing short circuit when the inner circuits can't handle the needed power.

I don't think Nintendo purposely brick users Switches because they wanna sell their own, that would be too evil. Also that would mean that Nintendo won't fix Switches under warranty when they are bricked (and they do fix them under warranty).

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That's a known good dongle, never heard of any bricks from that one.
why would you pay 70$ for a third party dongle? your better off just buying an official switch dock for a tiny few $ diference, and heck it costed 90$ more expensive than an official dock before promotion.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why would you pay 70$ for a third party dongle? your better off just buying an official switch dock for a tiny few $ diference, and heck it costed 90$ more expensive than an official dock before promotion.
Because the dock guts don't fit into a dongle, which is much more portable than a "portable dock". That's the main reason people buy any dongle, the portability.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Because the dock guts don't fit into a dongle, which is much more portable than a "portable dock". That's the main reason people buy any dongle, the portability.
but switch is portable already why would anyone need a portable dock? makes no sence to me, on a console that can go fully portable to use a portable dock costing as much or more than the official dock taht fits on preety much any backpack or small bag and heights nothing.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
but switch is portable already why would anyone need a portable dock? makes no sence to me, on a console that can go fully portable to use a portable dock costing as much or more than the official dock taht fits on preety much any backpack or small bag and heights nothing.

Do we really need to explain why a portable dock is more convenient than the official Nintendo dock?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because I want to play on a TV with other people when I get to my hotel on a trip and the dongle can just be thrown into my switch case rather than taking up valuable luggage space with the oem dock. Don't know why this concept is so difficult for you to comprehend.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Because I want to play on a TV with other people when I get to my hotel on a trip and the dongle can just be thrown into my switch case rather than taking up valuable luggage space with the oem dock. Don't know why this concept is so difficult for you to comprehend.
with all the reports of 3rd party docks briking left and right i would prefer to loose a tiny bit more luggage space on the bag lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn