1. naved.islam14

naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

What a detailed guide, it will stop some noobs, now lets see if I can get a PS3...

2. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

how do I use lv2_v9?
    when I install it and run it, it asks me to choose one of 3 things.
    what should I choose?

3. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Choose any one.

4. cobleman

cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Find "BDEMU" and install it then you have no need for lv2_v9 anymore!

5. ilman

usbview is a damaged archieve.
    please replace it.

6. Slimmmmmm

Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

Still loving the guide.

I noticed that in it it says...."3) Find the PS3UPDAT.PUP file and extract it to the 'UPDATE' folder which we created.
    "

So you extract the .PUP then ? If so what tool is the best etc... (I don't have a PS3 or know anything about this, just something I noticed reading the guide again and thought it might confuse people that know nothing about any of this).

7. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

That's a minor mistake. It should be copy and not extract. Ill correct it later.

EDIT: Fixed.

8. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Former Staff

France
    Download the BDEMU.rar, and install the pkg for your firmware version.

BDEMU-355KM.pkg = Kmeaw 3.55
    BDEMU-355WT.pkg = Wutangrza (well, I think it is)

Waninkoko 3.55 cfw doesn't need it, it already include a lv2 access.
    3.41 don't need it either (the payload is on the dongle, or provided with Hermes cfw).

BDEMU, as a payload, is ok to distribute like the dongle's payload was.

Just install BDEmu, and forgot about patching lv2 every time.
    Doing it more than once is even creating problems. BDemu is the best choice. (we should include it in the guide and tell the users to not use Lv2 v9 at all).

9. BMasterP

BMasterP GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    hi, i liked the tutorial, my house wqent up in flames in dec and my gf bought me a ps3 this week and since i didn't have internet to keep me updated i liked the idea of using your guide. printed it from the neighbours

Now i did all the steps, everything seems working. but when i want to play the game (backup of original i just made) its like the ps3 reboots with a quick short clock or something in the upper right corner.

it does this with 3 games, with all 3 options from the lv2_v9 pack
    does the same when installing to a usb stick 16 gig fat32 formated.

its an old fat ps3 40 gig.
    the games are cod mw2
    rachet clank booty
    mafia2

i looked for a bit but i can only look for solong in someone elses house, since i got a familie at home.
    so i figured maybe someone of you knows why it isn't working and can help me with it.

well tnxx

10. Cyan

Former Staff

France
    Did you already got a game working and only 3 are not, or everything you tried just reboot the console ?
    It's maybe caused by the Lv2 patcher (for example if you already have BDEMU and you are running Lv2v9, it does patch the LV2 twice).

If you have BDEMU (or a MultiMan older than 1.16), you don't need to run Lv2-Vx.
    If you don't have BDEMU and are using Multiman 1.16.x, then download and install the BDEMU-355KM.pkg from my post above, and forgot about the Lv2-v9. (you can leave them on your console, just in case, but you don't need to run them anymore).

Then, about the games you are trying to play :
    CoD mw2 : this game doesn't work. I found a forum which gives modified .pkg to install in order to play online only. (no offline at all?). google it and you should find it.
    Rachet : It should work fine. Just insert any Bluray in your console before launching the game.
    Mafia 2 : It should work without disc in drive (but just leave one inside).

Sometime, you need to delete installed game data you created when launching the retail game. (not the savegame, but the installed data at the top of the Game column)
    Just delete the game data, and launch it with the manager, let it recreate the data.

When does it reboot ?
    - In the backup Manager when hitting X button ?
    - The X button works in the manager and it go back to XMB with the selected game appearing in the bluray position, then when launching the game it reboot ?

- In the manager, are you in "direct boot" mode ? (disable direct boot)
    - Your games are on internal or external HDD ?

11. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Fixed.

12. ilman

And how do I transfer the game from my pc to my usb?
    My usb is ntfs formated.

13. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Plug the "USB" (I assume you mean USB drive) into the PC, and copy the game folders and file (PS3_GAME, PS3_UDATE and PS3_DISC.SFB) to "USB:\GAMES\GameName\...". Done.

Note that you cannot copy from BD to NTFS USB (it's read only), it will not be recognised by MultiMAN unless you configure the USB.CFG file properly, and if you have a game in too many subfolders (e.g. USB:\GAMES\FavouriteGames\GTA IV\...) it won't show up on any backup manager.

EDIT: Zorua, you should probably add that to your guide - I've given that same answer 4 times in the last week.
    EDIT2: And maybe put the optional parts (like connecting to PSN) in spoiler tags to make the guide generally more tidy.

14. Slimmmmmm

Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

I agree with this and would add even more. A follow-on after you soft mod.

1 - Games
    - how to rip them from BD
    - how to install them to USB i/e
    - how to load them from each etc

2 - Homebrew
    - link to a list of homebrew ?
    - how to get started with media player (eg showtime) and emulators

Yeah...sounds like more work...but I myself think some people will read the guide, love it and then think.....what now?

If you want a hand send me a pm (I dont check the PS3 forum often) and I can help with some of the monkey work towards adding more to the guide.

15. Cyan

Former Staff

France
    yeah, I wanted the guide to have a Multiman tutorial, dumping, game launching, etc.
    I even started writing an FTP server tutorial but Zorua said he wanted to do it.
    I gave him what I did so far.

I can edit the first post too, when needed.
    If anyone write a specific homebrew tutorial I/he can add it too.

I agree with the spoilers, at least with the outdated part like PSN, but keeping it for memory.
    I asked him about reducing the FAQ by removing all the quotes too, but Zorua said he like the way it is, it looks easier too read.
    What do you think guys ?

The guide title (at the top of the guide), should not mention PSN anymore until there's a new way.
    (there's one, but it's highly not recommended to use it, it involve dev units/dev servers)

PS to Zorua :
    Can I edit the front page too?
    As long as it's helpful and easy to understand for every users I think it's the goal of the guide.
    I don't like touching other people works.

What about the guide layout I show you ?

@Slimmmm

About the list of homebrew, I had an idea about a Wiki page, didn't have time to work on it yet.
    I would like it to list the firmware needed (when it's in pkg, signed or not), if it's PSL1ght or not, etc.

homebrew name | author? | PSL1ght | elf | pkg | 3.15 | 3.41 / 3.41H | 3.55 KM/Wn/Wu | 3.55 GH
    Pongus | CodeZombie (with link to his website if any. or no author column at all) | Yes (a logo like this [​IMG] [​IMG]) | etc.

Grouped by genre (games, demo, emulators, applications).

The homebrew name will have a link to it's own wikitemp page, ala wiibrew.
    picture, description, version change log, and a common table layout for name/author/genre/version/link

Some homebrew are in the form of a .elf and can be listed and run from Multiman/gaia Manager. (I like this much better than installing pkg).

It's a lot of work too. but I think it would be great to keep a homebrew list.
    here are some (all ?) but in french : http://www.ps3-infos.fr/forum/homebrews-ps3-f63/page25.html

16. nunavat2010

nunavat2010 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Do I need to first jailbreak the ps3 using a E3 card reader? I think I have not updated my ps3 since 3.41, because I just use it as a media server.

PS: I am a noob who lived under a rock since jail breaking of PS3 with a Ti83 plus.

17. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Nope.

@Cyan, I'm going to take your suggestions into consideration tomorrow. It's 10PM here and I'm too tired to do anything atm. Sorry. [​IMG]

18. Cyan

Former Staff

France
    no probem don't worry [​IMG]
    It can wait.

Just tell us if you need help.
    We are all working together.

19. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

WHAT JUST HAPPENED?! I was putting some stuff into spoilers and somehow the whole guide posted here.....

EDIT: WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?

20. Cyan

Former Staff

France
    Maybe you hit Quote instead of edit.
    also, keep a full copy of the first post, sometime when editing you find yourself with ... a blank post ! [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Softmod, Guide,