Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.y-gallery.net
XP
Country
United States
45239.jpg

A lot of PS3 owners got a bit of a nasty surprise back in March 2010 when Sony decided to remove the console's "Other OS" option. Sony claimed that the removal of the option, which let users install alternate operating systems like Linux, was a necessary security measure, but that didn't fly with a lot of owners, some of whom very predictably launched lawsuits.

But the Norwegian Consumer Council is taking matters a step further. "Sony claims a universal right to change or remove functionality from the gaming console," said Thomas Nortvedt of the Norwegian Consumer Council. "In our opinion this is in clear violation of the Marketing Control Act, and not the least it's a breach of trust between the consumer and Sony."

The council received several complaints about the Other OS removal but Nortvedt said digital services aren't covered by Norway's current consumer laws. As a result, users are at the mercy of license agreements that deprive them of meaningful protection, demonstrating "just how little protection the consumer has in the digital age."

"There needs to be a limit to what constitutes a reasonable change to products we buy. Terms of service that grant the manufacturer full access to literally downgrade the product or limit the functionality are unreasonable and in clear violation of the Marketing Control Act," Nortvedt said. "When a company uses terms like updates or upgrades, it is reasonable to expect a significant improvement of the product and not the risk of being stuck with a lesser product."

This is a case that bears watching. The Norwegian market on its own may not have enough heft to make Sony tremble but it could set a rather unwelcome precedent and inspire other nations to follow in its footsteps. If nothing else, a successful complaint could trigger similar actions from aggrieved consumer groups around the world, causing a legal and PR headache that Sony would probably much rather avoid.

Yet while Norway spearheads this particular battle over digital consumer rights, it remains mired in irrelevance when it comes to lions and tigers. Norway? More like Snoreway..[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Once again Sony, you've managed to piss someone off.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people need to give up on otheros, while i don't think it was right or fair, they DID it and they also do not force you to update, you have to make that choice.

if you want to tinker with an OS on a video game console, then stay at the lower firmware, you probably aren't going to be playing very much anyway.

get a real computer and keep your ps3 as a video game system.

before the flames, i know sony released it as a "computer" and it was meant to have the otheros, but come on, is it really a big deal? to those who say yes, see my comments above

midnightshinigam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.y-gallery.net
XP
Country
United States
Kajdan said:
Bladexdsl said:
sony: public enemy # 1
rofl2.gif
I loled

no way sony will bring back OtherOS.they just won't. why can't people understand?

Like VashTS said, get a real computer!

They do understand. It's just the fact that they reduced the features on their system. The whole point is that Sony advertised the PS3 as an alternative to a PC and then removed that feature. Some people bought it for that reason.

People are bitching because it makes us as consumers feel that we're now only licensing the system, not actually owning it. Sony has the ability to remove features at a whim without letting people know until it's too late. It means we have no protection for what we pay for.

EDIT: Now look at this:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-...ts-hdd-upgrades

How many of you would like the ability to update your HDD now? Tough luck, right?

ShinyLatios

Not Quite There Yet
Trophies
Website
www.eonaegis.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
midnightshinigami said:
Kajdan said:
Bladexdsl said:
rofl2.gif
I loled

no way sony will bring back OtherOS.they just won't. why can't people understand?

They do understand. It's just the fact that they reduced the features on their system. The whole point is that Sony advertised the PS3 as an alternative to a PC and then removed that feature. Some people bought it for that reason.

People are bitching because it makes us as consumers feel that we're now only licensing the system, not actually owning it. Sony has the ability to remove features at a whim without letting people know until it's too late. It means we have no protection for what we pay for.

actually, this is what happens when you buy a console. You may not alter software in any way(CFW and stuff is therefore illegal), and so you can only play games on the system, because you don't actually OWN it if you BUY it(atleast, thats how it actually is).
They should change laws for this reason.

Also, they advertised it like that? I never noticed
tongue.gif
when you put it like that, they should bring back OtherOS.
happy.gif

midnightshinigam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.y-gallery.net
XP
Country
United States
Kajdan said:
you don't actually OWN it if you BUY it(atleast, thats how it actually is).
They should change laws for this reason.

With that logic Sony has the right to come to your house and take your system despite the fact you paid them money for it. We own the piece of hardware we bought. I get that we don't own the rights to the components or software and anything like that.

You own your system and are allowed to do whatever the hell you want to do. Their end user licesne agreement only applies to PSN and online services, NOT your system itself. CFW is not illegal. Homebrew is not illegal. However playing pirated games is illegal.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Kajdan said:
because you don't actually OWN it if you BUY it(atleast, thats how it actually is).
bullshit! whatever i buy i can do whatever the hell i want to it that is the LAW and sony NEEDS to learn this NOW. once i've paid $ for something it is mine...MINE!
even though i dont even own a ps3 but you get the point

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maz7006 said:
people fail to look at the bigger problem; as in why did sony actually take off otheros in the first place.
The short answer is to stop hotz. The long answer has to do with money, but it cost too much to maintain. I guess they were already looking for a reason to remove other os.

Zantheo

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Norway strikes again!
Arise my polar bears!

Even though I'm not a PS3 owner, It'll be interesting to see what'll happen...

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
midnightshinigami said:
Kajdan said:
Bladexdsl said:
rofl2.gif
I loled

How many of you would like the ability to update your HDD now? Tough luck, right?
its a glitch, it happened a few times in earlier firmware updates where it broke hdd upgrading then fixed it in the next
expect it to be fixed in 3.60

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
VashTS said:
people need to give up on otheros, while i don't think it was right or fair, they DID it and they also do not force you to update, you have to make that choice.

if you want to tinker with an OS on a video game console, then stay at the lower firmware, you probably aren't going to be playing very much anyway.

before the flames, i know sony released it as a "computer" and it was meant to have the otheros, but come on, is it really a big deal? to those who say yes, see my comments above
All that needs to be said. Yet people keep bitching- "Sony haz take mah OtherOS, daaaamn them!".

Use your desktop/laptop as a computer, not a gaming console.

midnightshinigam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.y-gallery.net
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
midnightshinigami said:
Kajdan said:
Bladexdsl said:
rofl2.gif
I loled

its a glitch, it happened a few times in earlier firmware updates where it broke hdd upgrading then fixed it in the next
expect it to be fixed in 3.60

Okay good, thought it makes me wonder who the hell is testing these updates.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raiser said:
VashTS said:

All that needs to be said. Yet people keep bitching- "Sony haz take mah OtherOS, daaaamn them!".

Use your desktop/laptop as a computer, not a gaming console.

They should have sold me it as a console, not a computer then. And they are still advertising it as such. And I still cant find the notice on the box that says "any and all advertised features can be removed at any time for any reason".

And also:-

QUOTE(Dter ic @ Feb 1 2011, 06:38 PM)
You know just because pcs can get linux, doesn't make it exactly the same as ps3 linux right?

this. If anyone can point out a pc without a x86/amd64 chip then let me know.

And for Gods sake, why does a massive company have the right to do something themselves and act like cunts when people do it back to them? Why do they get decide that something they sold you as one thing is really something else when it becomes inconvenient for them, but still try to claim it's the first thing when that suits them too?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head