• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,842
  • Replies 2
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted User

OP
The Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City reverse-engineering fan project received a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown by Take-Two Interactive.
The DMCA on GitHub claims the project uses copyrighted materials owned by Take-Two, and that this use is "unauthorized and it should be removed immediately".
All files have now been removed, seemingly automatically by GitHub.

"Yes, we were very much worried about that and tried to stay under the radar for as long as possible," aap said.

"We got a lot of attention when the Switch port happened but nothing from Take-Two. We took that as a sign that they don't care (or are really blind)."

aap considered the fact the Super Mario 64 reverse-engineering project was still up on GitHub as a good sign "because Nintendo is about as aggressive as Take-Two in these matters".​

Are you the copyright holder or authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf?

Yes, I am the copyright holder.

Please describe the nature of your copyright ownership or authorization to act on the owner’s behalf.

I am [private] at Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc., the parent company of Rockstar Games.

Please provide a detailed description of the original copyrighted work that has allegedly been infringed. If possible, include a URL to where it is posted online.

The content in the links below consists of copyrighted materials owned by Take-Two. The use of our copyrighted content in these links are unauthorized and it should be removed immediately.

Link to GTA 3 page https://www.rockstargames.com/games/grandtheftauto3

Link to Vice City Page https://www.rockstargames.com/games/vicecity

What files should be taken down? Please provide URLs for each file, or if the entire repository, the repository’s URL.

All Github links were added in this section

Have you searched for any forks of the allegedly infringing files or repositories? Each fork is a distinct repository and must be identified separately if you believe it is infringing and wish to have it taken down.

Yes. They are all linked above.

[Note: Because the parent repository was actively being forked when this DMCA takedown notice was received, and the submitter had identified all known forks at the time they submitted the takedown notice, GitHub processed the takedown notice against the entire fork network.]

Is the work licensed under an open source license? If so, which open source license? Are the allegedly infringing files being used under the open source license, or are they in violation of the license?

The work is not licensed in any way.

What would be the best solution for the alleged infringement? Are there specific changes the other person can make other than removal? Can the repository be made private?

The best and only solution is complete removal of the aforementioned pages.

Do you have the alleged infringer’s contact information? If so, please provide it.

We do not.

I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above on the infringing web pages is not authorized by the copyright owner, or its agent, or the law.

I have taken fair use into consideration.

I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in this notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner, or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

I have read and understood GitHub’s Guide to Submitting a DMCA Takedown Notice.

So that we can get back to you, please provide either your telephone number or physical address.

[private]
Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
110 W. 44th Street
New York, NY 10036
Email: [private]

Please type your full legal name below to sign this request.

[private]

Source:https://rockstarintel.com/take-two-...-engineered-versions-of-gta-iii-and-vice-city

Reactions: eyeliner

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought that was the purpose of reverse engineering them. they don't contain direct code from the actual games, so how can they be taken down?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I thought that was the purpose of reverse engineering them. they don't contain direct code from the actual games, so how can they be taken down?
They will just bully until they get their way. I don't see this being illegal at all since it's just written code, no assets are provided.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 10180p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality