PS2 vs GCN vs Xbox vs Dreamcast

psvpwner

Trophies
XP
Country
Xbox > Gamecube > PS2 > Dreamcast

This should indeed be the correct order when looking at overall performance, as the topic creator requested.
This is not very strange anyway, since this is also the reverse order the consoles were released in. Pretty self-explanatory.

However be aware that the system have their pros and cons in terms of performance (for example Burnout 1 and 2 came out for GC, Xbox and PS2 while Burnout 3 never came out to the GC due to hardware limitations. And yet the overall performance of the GC should be higher than the PS2 like previously mentioned).

Reactions: CosmoCortney

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This should indeed be the correct order when looking at overall performance, as the topic creator requested.

However be aware that the system have their pros and cons in terms of performance (for example Burnout 1 and 2 came out for GC, Xbox and PS2 while Burnout 3 never came out to the GC due to hardware limitations. And yet the overall performance of the GC should be higher than the PS2 like previously mentioned).
Yeah the game cubes storage hurt and the ps2 lasted longer than the other and thus had better looking games latter on.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Xbox > NGC > PS2 > Dreamcast

There's that PS2 is capable of displaying games in an HD resolution so I suppose it's more powerful than the NGC but devs for PS2 never truly made full use of its hardware.

Xbox is still the most powerful of all and my favourite of this round because of exclusives/multiplats like Conker, Forza, Halo, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, OutRun 2, Otogi, Just Cause, GTA SA, Midtown Madness 3, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects, Mech Assault, NFS Underground 1, Simpsons Hit & Run, and many more.

The games for Xbox can be found for less than a pound in UK in stores like CeX but certain games tend to keep their value as is the case of Conker, GTA SA, Simpsons Hit & Run, etc.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox > NGC > PS2 > Dreamcast

There's that PS2 is capable of displaying games in an HD resolution so I suppose it's more powerful than the NGC but devs for PS2 never truly made full use of its hardware.

Xbox is still the most powerful of all and my favourite of this round because of exclusives/multiplats like Conker, Forza, Halo, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, OutRun 2, Otogi, Just Cause, GTA SA, Midtown Madness 3, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects, Mech Assault, NFS Underground 1, Simpsons Hit & Run, and many more.

The games for Xbox can be found for less than a pound in UK in stores like CeX but certain games tend to keep their value as is the case of Conker, GTA SA, Simpsons Hit & Run, etc.
True although many multiplats never fully used the Xbox to full potential for ease of the ps2.

In terms of the best console is a debate that IMO depends on what you played then.

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks for replying!

How come the Wii's graphics were only a little better than the GCN, while X360 and PS3 were running at 1080p before the Wii was running at 480p?

psvpwner

Trophies
XP
Country

How come the Wii's graphics were only a little better than the GCN, while X360 and PS3 were running at 1080p before the Wii was running at 480p?

The Wii is pretty much just an overclocked Gamecube with bluetooth, an SD card slot and full sized discs anyway.
Also the Wii was the first console where Nintendo really differentiated themselves their competitors by not trying to compete for the most powerful hardware anymore, but instead focusing on a wider audience and a lower price tag.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In a short answer specs (duh) but the Wii was never about specs it was sold on the idea it was a more open console that the general and emerging casual and younger markets could like.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Xbox was most powerful, Gamecube was on par with Xbox in many regards, PS2 was weaker than Dreamcast, though Dreamcast could do some things the PS2 couldn't.
NGC was great and all, and still is but for multiplats such as Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory which were split to two discs the loading times were quite long and this version just didn't seem to be as good as the Xbox had it.

However, I've gotta say that Kirby Air Ride looks really good even though it's passed several years since its gen.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NGC was great and all, and still is but for multiplats such as Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory which were split to two discs the loading times were quite long and this version just didn't seem to be as good as the Xbox had it.

However, I've gotta say that Kirby Air Ride looks really good even though it's passed several years since its gen.
Also some games were made artistically rather than for modern graphics (okami and paper mario are examples of that)

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

psvpwner

Trophies
XP
Country

Then take a look at Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
I was playing it the other day and damn, the game practically has HD graphics in 480p xD

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Also some games were made artistically rather than for modern graphics (okami and paper mario are examples of that)

Luigi's Mansion while it may seem like a "Ghostbusters Nintendo Edt." it was really fun and a must play for all NGC owners but damn shame the Wii U's never received one. It would have been awesome to play a new Luigi's Mansion game in HD and now there's the GameCube controller so all the more reason to have it done (except Wii U's a commercial failure so no point putting so much effort to a game only a few get to play).

psvpwner

Trophies
XP
Country
Xbox.
Dem years I spend on it <3

Also, lots of Xbox games support 720p.
Iirc, Luigis mansion even supported 3D...

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luigi's_Mansion:

All Nintendo GameCube systems support the display of stereoscopic 3D, and Luigi's Mansion was developed to utilise this. 3D televisions were not widespread at the time, and it was deemed that compatible displays would be too cost-prohibitive for the consumer. As a result, the feature was never enabled outside of development.

Interesting

Reactions: DinohScene
D

Deleted User

The Wii is pretty much just an overclocked Gamecube with bluetooth, an SD card slot and full sized discs anyway.
Also the Wii was the first console where Nintendo really differentiated themselves their competitors by not trying to compete for the most powerful hardware anymore, but instead focusing on a wider audience and a lower price tag.
I got a Wii for my birthday as my second console in 2007 because I was impressed with the N64 games I was playing on emulator and GC games I saw on YouTube so I begged my parents for one (my first console was a birthday Xbox despite me begging my parents for a GC)
As a result I was disappointed. The Wii had a poor library of poor Wii Remote utilization and GC games since 2006 have been extremely rare where I live.
So much for wider audience.

Apparently Nintendo decided the N64 and GC didn't do well enough, so they need to make their games differently (and I'm not talking about motion controls, MPT was far superior to the GC versions in that regard)
Then with the Wii's success (which un-coincidentally came out around the time N64 emulation rose to mainstream and YouTube was this new thing where you could watch gameplay vids of GC and N64 games and say "wow, I wish I could play these on Xbox/PS2"), they got it into their heads that their new ways were what the fans want.
And now they're trying to sell more Wii Us by adding digital Wii games to eShop while people are heavily demanding digital N64 and GC games. Besides MPT people are actually complaining about the addition of Wii games to the eShop because most Wii U owners already have/played/have easy access to new or secondhand copies of those games. And Nintendo wonders why they can't sell the Wii U while Iwata and Miyamoto fight over whose fault it is.
#TeamIwata

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly the Xbox was the most powerful on paper but so many games looked better on the Gamecube...sighhhh i miss when Nintendo use to make decently powerful consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...