PS2 to HDMI adapter vs. Sony official PS2/PS3 Component cables resolution on the PS2

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Resolution should be about the same (but don't know if they can display 240p/i property, but that's up to the tv as well), but the image quality/clarity wouldn't be the same, OEM components are always better as they display the picture without any noise unlike those cheap Chinese HDMI adapters..

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Resolution should be about the same (but don't know if they can display 240p/i property, but that's up to the tv as well), but the image quality/clarity wouldn't be the same, OEM components are always better as they display the picture without any noise unlike those cheap Chinese HDMI adapters..

What do you mean by noise? Would it come from the power cord/power supply?

I was told it looks better if using official component cables. Do modern TVs (like 4K/8K ones) come with component inputs?

Lately, I'm having some blackouts after turning on the TV when playing PS2. I have audio but no display.

I use a PS2 to HDMI adapter and connect its HDMI cable to a HDMI switch. I changed the PS2's USB port in which the PS2 to HDMI adapter's USB cable is connected to, changed the PS2 to HDMI's adapter HDMI cable and even the HDMI port of the HDMI switch in which it's connected to but I still have this issue.

I find it odd I stop having this issue when turning off and on the TV (until it returns after the TV is turned on next time).

Anyway, I also have another strange problem on my old HDTV. I no longer had official composite cables so I ordered third-party components cables and connected them to the PS2 and TV and I'd have blackouts for a second and so and then return to normal when playing PS2. It did this constantly so I tried the PS2 to HDMI Adapter and I no longer had this issue. I hope I don't have this problem with official component cables.

I tried GSM with different settings with the PS2 to HDMI Adapter but the resolutions actually looked even worse.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by noise? A buzz-like sound from the cables/adapters themselves?

I was told it looks better if using the official PS2 component cables. Do modern TVs (like 4K/8K ones) come with a component input?

Lately, I've been having some black screens after turning on the TV when playing PS2. I have audio but no image.

I use a PS2 to HDMI adapter and I connect its HDMI cable to a HDMI switch. I changed the PS2 USB port in which the PS2 to HDMI adapter's USB cable is connected to, changed the PS2 to HDMI's adapter HDMI cable and even the HDMI port of the HDMI switch in which it's connected to but I still have this issue.

What's weird is that if I have this issue and turn off and afterwards on the TV, I stop having this issue (until it returns after the TV on in a future occasion).

Anyway, I also have another strange problem on my old HDTV. I no longer had the official PS2 composite cables so I ordered third-party components cables and connected them to the PS2 and TV and the TV screen would go black for a second and so and then return to normal when playing PS2. It did this constantly so I tried the PS2 to HDMI Adapter and I no longer had this issue. I hope I don't have this problem with the official PS2 component cables.

I tried IGR with different settings with the PS2 to HDMI Adapter but the resolutions actually looked even worse.
Then your best bet is the OSSC, with it you can hook it up to an HDTV with no issues, and with the best image quality possible..

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Then your best bet is the OSSC, with it you can hook it up to an HDTV with no issues, and with the best image quality possible..

It's very expensive for me.

Do you think the no display issue when using the PS2 to HDMI adapter might be caused by the HDMI switch and the blackout issue when using component cables might be happening because they are third-party cables and so they mightn't be as good as the official ones?

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Do you think the no image issue when using the PS2 to HDMI Adapter might be caused by the HDMI Switch and the TV going black issue when using the component cables might be happening because they are third-party cables and so their quality might not be as good as the official ones?
I think we've already been through this conversation before.. Test with a different tv, different hdmi switch, component cables and the answer will reveal itself to you.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Do you think the no image issue when using the PS2 to HDMI Adapter might be caused by the HDMI Switch and the TV going black issue when using the component cables might be happening because they are third-party cables and so their quality might not be as good as the official ones?
That's probably your settings on the PS2. Go to System Configuration and change the Component Video Out settings from RGB to Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I think we've already been through this conversation before.. Test with a different tv, different hdmi switch, component cables and the answer will reveal itself to you.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But that was about the blackout issue when using the PS2 to HDMI adapter, not about the blackout issue when using third-party component cables.

Do modern TVs (like 4K/8K ones) come with component inputs? If not, I'll have to use the PS2 to HDMI adapter or a component to HDMI adapter with official component cables.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do modern TVs (like 4K/8K ones) come with a component input?
They stopped including component inputs in TVs like a decade ago, pray you'd fine one with composite inputs (if it matters to you) as some high-end models doesn't have them..
If not, I'll have to use the PS2 to HDMI adapter or a YPbPr to HDMI converter with the official PS2 component cables.
Yes.. Or you could get an OEM composite cables just for the sake of testing, if it's the tv that's faulty (or the other inputs you've tested with) it'll show no picture, if it displays properly it means the PS2 is fine, the composite cable and tv composite inputs are fine too...

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They stopped including component inputs in TVs like a decade ago, pray you'd fine one with composite inputs (if it matters to you) as some high-end models doesn't have them..

Yes.. Or you could get an OEM composite cables just for the sake of testing, if it's the tv that's faulty (or the other inputs you've tested with) it'll show no picture, if it displays properly it means the PS2 is fine, the composite cable and tv composite inputs are fine too...

I was talking about using component cables on a new TV which according to you won't have component inputs, not about this TV.

Also, I have display with third-party component cables and PS2 to HDMI adapter in the current TV but it goes away.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was talking about using component on the new TV which according to you won't have component input, not about this TV.
Same thing applies.
Also, I have image with third-party component and PS2 to HDMI adapter in the current TV but it goes away.
"It goes away"? Sounds like the connection is twitchy in both inputs, which is why i (already) recommended to test again with any other tv you might have..

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Same thing applies.

"It goes away"? Sounds like the connection is twitchy in both inputs, which is why i (already) recommended to test again with any other tv you might have..

The thing is, I don't have another. I didn't have this problem with the official composite cables nor I do with the HDMI cables from other devices.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the HD Retro Component Cable as I decided to go for that over the Sony Component Cable due to comparisons.

That, with a wireless controller and a HDD/USB, you got a beast of a console.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: AkikoKumagara