PS Vita parts teardown- less than $160

mjax

Trophies
XP
Country
your are in noway force to buy but will end up having to to buy anyway seem that you need them for the GOOD stuff
The 3DS doesn't have any on-board memory either, the SD's are just cheaper because they're not proprietary.

Sure, Sony could've used a pre-existing storage medium, but they planned to cut down piracy-related issues by using obscure memory storage.

...And why was M2 used on PSP Go. It could have been Micro SD, no? Please don't say it was to cut down piracy.
Sony console ---> overpriced Sony memory card. ---> *removed the picture didn't know its origin* :|
Fix'd

I am done with these Vita threads. I would personally not buy the Vita until they slash the price to $200 or so. I am not paying $60 for 16GB of flash memory, that cannot be used on any other device.

Edit: Removed picture.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
your are in noway force to buy but will end up having to to buy anyway seem that you need them for the GOOD stuff
The 3DS doesn't have any on-board memory either, the SD's are just cheaper because they're not proprietary.

Sure, Sony could've used a pre-existing storage medium, but they planned to cut down piracy-related issues by using obscure memory storage.

...And why was M2 used on PSP Go. It could have been Micro SD, no? Please don't say it was to cut down piracy.
Piracy or no reasons or no, its to make money. Making memory cards for a single device is effective in monopolizing transflash storage. Sony must know that MicroSD to MSProDuo adapters exist, which gives that form of medium competition with MicroSD that can be found as cheap as 1-2GB to the $1, While the MSProDuo medium is still up in the 2GB to $3 range.

By making a new memory card that is difficult to make MicroSD adapters for, they can still monopolize the transflash situation on the PSVita.While SD are cheap and plentiful with competition for the lowest prices, PSVita's memory can be as much as Sony wants it to be. So why not charge $4-$5 per Gigabyte? Its not like anyone has the option yet to get cheaper compatible storage elseware.
I assure you that within a year there will be 3rd party memory storage available. You're whining as if you didn't remember the situation from the PlayStation till "now" - the PS1, N64, PS2, GameCube and the Dreamcast all had, as you call it, "memory cards for a single device" and yet nobody whined. HDD's are Microsoft's invention that was properly implemented in this generation, unless you count the PS2 Hard Drive add-on, an SD slot was first introduced in the Wii. Problem?

It's not a matter of monopoly, it's a matter of design choice. As far as making money from their product is concerned - that's the point of "buisness".

Not only that, at the time of PSP's release, Memory Stick Pro Duo cards were INSANELY expensive if you don't remember those days.

Oh yeah - you don't. You're a typical "This Gen" gamer.

Also, interesting choice of picture - a revolutionary (Sony) kicking the burguoise (Gamers, apparently) in the buttocks. You shot yourself in the foot with that one.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The memory card is indeed overpriced - I never said it is not. What I said is that the unit itself is priced just fine.

I won't argue with the fact that an SD/MSPDuo derrivative is given the price of golden tears of dragons.

You're pretty much forced to buy a memory card, you might as well include it. It raises the price quite significantly... So it's overpriced.
~snip~

The Memory Card is required only for specific games, it is not 100% necessary to utilize the console, it's an add-on that you are not forced to buy.

the second analog on the 3ds is an addon as not a single game actually requires it but there are game that supports it,
the memory card is required for specific games, therefore the memory card is required

mjax

Trophies
XP
Country
I think it's not right to compare the technology from 90s with the technology now. Flash memory is too cheap today. Why purposely make things more expensive?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony console ---> Sony memory card.
Nintendo just made the sd cards,but you not force to used them.

Why do I feel bringing up Piracy now is just away to try to get away with something. :unsure:

Only thing I see dropping first is the memory cards.
I think it's not right to compare the technology from 90s with the technology now. Flash memory is too cheap today. Why purposely make things more expensive?
I was about to post about the same thing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You change what you're grasping at from one minute to the other - there was absolutely NOTHING stopping devs from using a universal storage device back then, yet they have not opted for that. Because. That's the only reason. The fact that FLASH memory is cheap is irrelevant, actually, it's not even connected to the issue. Sony chose to use a proprietary memory device and you can be mad but that was their choice.

Sony console ---> Sony memory card.
Nintendo just made the sd cards,but you not force to used them.

Neither does Sony. The Vita is perfectly functional without a Memory Card, only certain games require it - it's primarily used for audio/video/downloaded games storage, much like the SD is used in the 3DS.

Nintendo chose SD cards because they only manufacture consoles, and even that is outsourced for the most part. They don't have a proprietary format of rewrittable FLASH memory as of today (unless you count the EEPROM on the cartridges).

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The memory card is indeed overpriced - I never said it is not. What I said is that the unit itself is priced just fine.

I won't argue with the fact that an SD/MSPDuo derrivative is given the price of golden tears of dragons.

You're pretty much forced to buy a memory card, you might as well include it. It raises the price quite significantly... So it's overpriced.
~snip~

The Memory Card is required only for specific games, it is not 100% necessary to utilize the console, it's an add-on that you are not forced to buy.

the second analog on the 3ds is an addon as not a single game actually requires it but there are game that supports it,
the memory card is required for specific games, therefore the memory card is required

That was the strangest attempt to make a point i've seen in a while. The entire first sentence has nothing to do with the second.
In all technicalities, no it isn't required. You just need it to save in certain games, haha. But you can still technically play them without it.

Bypassing this mock-requirement is as simple as buying the cheapest mem card. If you're too stingy to get the bigger ones, the smallest is cheap and perfectly capable of holding all of your saves.

Reactions: 1 person

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why people bitch when Sony makes 100% profit or any company makes any profit on a console sold. Some of you complain if it's one cent above the parts. cost.
Since YOU could not (in all likeliness) have built it from the circuit board up, that's both invention, education and labor not to mention materials, for the system itself. (never mind the game dev side of things)

Then there's the operating system, and the gaming software that make this portable computer do what they claim it does.. remember, THEY created that, not US. THEY SHOULD be paid for what they created on that system, for thier educational investment and more. Not to mention marketing/advertising designed, web hosting, PR, musicians, shipping, printers, packagers, grapic artists, ; then theres the support staff that makles thier jobs possible, the office cleaners, IT professional, electric companies, followed by expended supplies paper, ink, chairs desks, specially made tools, etc... and such. There are too many expenses to count above the actual console alone, that cost THEM money BEFORE it costs US. THEY take a risk long before we do, by having them produced before they're ordered... What, the education of the electronic enginners who designed it costs nothing? You think they worked for free? Was thier education free? thier fuel to get to that education? or to the job after he education? hell no. nothing is free.

To sum it up, some people act like we should only pay them for the parts. If we did that they would stop making them, cease to exist and there would be no more... so NO, I have no problem with them makeing a buck or even doubling or if it's really good, tripling their money in the exchange. They take all the risks long before we do, and all most of us do is bitch that we didn't get some particular add on we wanted...

Their time is worth much more than ours due to thier investment prior to sale, thier invested time, and education

In summary, when Nintendo tells me it's only 170. I am so amazed and grateful, I have only praise them (after I stop complaining aboutn not enough games)...
Enjoy your vs PITA. - Smile

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not getting a Vita until its at maybe 180-190, however 200 does seem right, just pushing a little. It would be even better if they had some bundles for some of their launch titles and with an 8gb card for 250. Sure it maybe selling at loss but if done right, people will buy them like hotcakes.

Achilles

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

~snip~

That was the strangest attempt to make a point i've seen in a while. The entire first sentence has nothing to do with the second.
In all technicalities, no it isn't required. You just need it to save in certain games, haha. But you can still technically play them without it.

Bypassing this mock-requirement is as simple as buying the cheapest mem card. If you're too stingy to get the bigger ones, the smallest is cheap and perfectly capable of holding all of your saves.
Sorry dude, you're wrong. There are several games that flat out WILL NOT RUN without a memory card, including Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sorry dude, you're wrong. There are several games that flat out WILL NOT RUN without a memory card, including Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

Reading is hard.

Achilles

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

~snip~

Reading is hard.
Yep. Sure is.

mjax

Trophies
XP
Country
Excuse me, I was convinced you were reffering to my post. Pardon.

No offense but I think you should calm down a bit. I read your sarcastic comment and could assure you, we are not your enemies here. :P

Also Golden Abyss won't even start without a memory card and that is what Achilles rightly pointed out.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

No offense but I think you should calm down a bit. I read your sarcastic comment and could assure you, we are not your enemies here. :P

Also Golden Abyss won't even start without a memory card and that is what Achilles rightly pointed out.
I agree completely, and I'm not even slightly annoyed/angry. ;) That is my usual temper.

As pointed out earlier, even the cheapest 2Gb card is just about enough to keep your saves on. You don't need a bigger one, and if you do then you'll have to pay extra. ^^;

mjax

Trophies
XP
Country

I agree completely, and I'm not even slightly annoyed/angry. ;) That is my usual temper.

As pointed out earlier, even the cheapest 2Gb card is just about enough to keep your saves on. You don't need a bigger one, and if you do then you'll have to pay extra. ^^;

As never pointed out earlier, there are no 2GB PS Vita cards manufactured. The minimum size is 4GB that has been produced. I think Foxi4 you should do more research on Vita before you even begin to argue around. :P Don't say it was a typo.

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

Reading is hard.

That still brings us back to the point of being quite limited in the games you're allowed to play. The point remains that you are pretty much forced to buy the card. On a side note though, 3DS comes with a SD card, so it's a bit difficult to say Nintendo does the same thing, since they include it in their price.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not overpriced, it's priced accordingly to its specs. iPhones are overpriced, the 3DS at launch was overpriced - the Vita is priced perfectly fine.

3DS at launch was indeed overpriced, it had me question whether or not it was really worth the money, the price drop made me want to really get it, though. As for the Vita, I'm not sure if I want to pay more than 200$, for any handheld device, and I'm sure there are alot of others who feel the same way, I believe it's inevitable that Sony will have to lower the price. (And then I'll be able to afford to buy both products :creep:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :) +1