PS Vita Hacks and Game Decryption

Major_Tom recently released instructions for decrypting and dumping games right from the PS Vita using the new HENkaku web exploit for 3.60 by team Molecule.

He also details how to run game mods by modifying the files in the redirected space, much like smea's homebrew 3DS app that enables users to change the game content-- meaning fan translations and skin hacks!

Does this mean piracy for Vita is just around the corner? Probably. But in the mean time, we can run homebrew now in Vita hardware space instead of just in PSP Emulated space, giving us access to better hardware for the emulators and homebrew!

:arrow:Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
HENkaku really made me a happy camper as I had to say goodbye to any possibility of using Rejuvenate despite meeting the requirements due to having to update the system in order to play and review new games. That, and the exploit is just better - a lot like Gateway Go used to be, no USB shennanigans required. Now I'm keeping my system on 3.60 no matter what and although I'm not deving for the Vita, I might in the future as it's a great little system with lots of power under the hood - power that's yet to be tapped into properly.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean piracy for Vita is just around the corner? Probably.

Too bad it took until the system was dead to happen. If it had happened sooner, they might have sold enough to get an actual userbase and keep the system alive. I know a lot of people (myself included) only bought a PSP because it was easily hacked wide open, if Vita had been the same, I probably would have gotten one.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the Vita even going to have a scene with how dead it is? Production was discounted everywhere, but Japan IIRC.
I actually can't find any local to buy except for a used one at a Gamestop with no memory card but had a premium price, but the lady dropped it trying to get it out of the cabinet and I was like "...meh I don't want it now." and she was like "err... yeah heh...".

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Is the Vita even going to have a scene with how dead it is? Production was discounted everywhere, but Japan IIRC.
You underestimate just how loyal the vita fanbase is. It won't be a huge scene, but there's definitely enough of a userbase to get stuff going. (Like the Wii U) They've already got a SNES emulator running at pretty decent speeds. And Amazon has an abundance of the consoles in stock so they're easy to buy.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... Vita owners will not be able to pirate the complete catalog of ...30 games?

too true lol, ive owned a vita for a few years now, have to say i only play hot shots golf world invitational and just a tiny bit of mortal kombat...not sure if i will even use pirated games on it, if it becomes reality - sadly same applies to the wii u

any titles i really want to play are cheap enough that i can justifiably spend the cash - which is the way it should be - and this is how the video game industry can curb piracy.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I'm guessing this still means PSP games need to be run through a PSP exploit? Mm. I'll have to stick to 3.20 on my PSTV.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's nice to hear that. PS Vita is dead. Sorry to say that but it's true.
Most of the games suck and you can see from the sale numbers.... It's a total pain in the ass. It will never beat Nintendo with it's good old Mario games.
I don't think piracy is wrong. Actually it often makes a console better. I don't think that PSP would have so many sales if piracy wouldn't exist.
And not everyone can afford games for 40-50 bucks (including me). Piracy sounds bad but it's actually not.. Please don't call it piracy. It's helpful because you can backup your games without worrying about your CDs. So it's actually pretty nice. I know we should support the developers, but hey.. They've got already their millions and the games are mostly overpriced while they get worse and content less every time.
A new game in 2005: 30$
A new game in 2016: 60-80$
What to expect? And developers wonder why "piracy" is so popular..
How much will we pay in 2020? The price of the console itself?
So please respect piracy until the developers will take care of our needs.
And if you pirate a game and you really enjoy it... Please do me a favor: Buy it! ;)
Putting your opinion of piracy aside, I'm pretty sure Monster Hunter sold the PSP for the most-part, not piracy. I have to wonder if the Vita would have been more successful if MH3, 4, and Generations was released for it?

Reactions: Deleted User

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think it's nice to hear that. PS Vita is dead. Sorry to say that but it's true.
Most of the games suck and you can see from the sale numbers.... It's a total pain in the ass. It will never beat Nintendo with it's good old Mario games.
I don't think piracy is wrong. Actually it often makes a console better. I don't think that PSP would have so many sales if piracy wouldn't exist.
And not everyone can afford games for 40-50 bucks (including me). Piracy sounds bad but it's actually not.. Please don't call it piracy. It's helpful because you can backup your games without worrying about your CDs. So it's actually pretty nice. I know we should support the developers, but hey.. They've got already their millions and the games are mostly overpriced while they get worse and content less every time.
A new game in 2005: 30$
A new game in 2016: 60-80$
What to expect? And developers wonder why "piracy" is so popular..
How much will we pay in 2020? The price of the console itself?
So please respect piracy until the developers will take care of our needs.
And if you pirate a game and you really enjoy it... Please do me a favor: Buy it! ;)

considering inflation, game prices have actually gone down and are cheaper than theyve ever been

ReigningSemtex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
IMO the nvidia shield is better. Just personal preference though...

But they are not in production any more. If someone wants a handheld system for emulation the gpd xd is the best choice at the moment. I don't doubt the nvidia shield is better but with low availability probably best go for the next best thing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup