PS Vita Hacks and Game Decryption

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by SonyUSA, Aug 2, 2016.

1. SonyUSA
    OP

SonyUSA We're all mad here

pip Contributor
    May 12, 2006
    United States
    Major_Tom recently released instructions for decrypting and dumping games right from the PS Vita using the new HENkaku web exploit for 3.60 by team Molecule.

He also details how to run game mods by modifying the files in the redirected space, much like smea's homebrew 3DS app that enables users to change the game content-- meaning fan translations and skin hacks!

Does this mean piracy for Vita is just around the corner? Probably. But in the mean time, we can run homebrew now in Vita hardware space instead of just in PSP Emulated space, giving us access to better hardware for the emulators and homebrew!

:arrow:Source

2. iAqua

iAqua Shadow of Dark.

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    Cool. I don't own a vita myself but this is pretty cool.

3. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    It took a while to be able to get this far on the vita scene... afaik the 3ds was cracked in 2014/15

4. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    Well, between needing a new PSP and homebrew (especially emulators) for the Vita looking like it'll be a thing, it makes me consider finally getting one. It's gonna be either that or a GPD XD.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    HENkaku really made me a happy camper as I had to say goodbye to any possibility of using Rejuvenate despite meeting the requirements due to having to update the system in order to play and review new games. That, and the exploit is just better - a lot like Gateway Go used to be, no USB shennanigans required. Now I'm keeping my system on 3.60 no matter what and although I'm not deving for the Vita, I might in the future as it's a great little system with lots of power under the hood - power that's yet to be tapped into properly.

6. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    IMO the nvidia shield is better. Just personal preference though...

aaronz77 and Sonic Angel Knight like this.
  7. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    Is the Vita even going to have a scene with how dead it is? Production was discounted everywhere, but Japan IIRC.

Pluupy and Subtle Demise like this.
  8. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Too bad it took until the system was dead to happen. If it had happened sooner, they might have sold enough to get an actual userbase and keep the system alive. I know a lot of people (myself included) only bought a PSP because it was easily hacked wide open, if Vita had been the same, I probably would have gotten one.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  9. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenb├╝ren
    Heh, guess it's finally time to buy a Vita.

10. SonyUSA
    OP

SonyUSA We're all mad here

pip Contributor
    May 12, 2006
    United States
    I actually can't find any local to buy except for a used one at a Gamestop with no memory card but had a premium price, but the lady dropped it trying to get it out of the cabinet and I was like "...meh I don't want it now." and she was like "err... yeah heh...".

11. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    You underestimate just how loyal the vita fanbase is. It won't be a huge scene, but there's definitely enough of a userbase to get stuff going. (Like the Wii U) They've already got a SNES emulator running at pretty decent speeds. And Amazon has an abundance of the consoles in stock so they're easy to buy.

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  12. Pecrow

Pecrow GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2015
    United States
    So... Vita owners will not be able to pirate the complete catalog of ...30 games?

13. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    too true lol, ive owned a vita for a few years now, have to say i only play hot shots golf world invitational and just a tiny bit of mortal kombat...not sure if i will even use pirated games on it, if it becomes reality - sadly same applies to the wii u

any titles i really want to play are cheap enough that i can justifiably spend the cash - which is the way it should be - and this is how the video game industry can curb piracy.

14. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    I'm guessing this still means PSP games need to be run through a PSP exploit? Mm. I'll have to stick to 3.20 on my PSTV.

15. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    I don't care if Sony bans my account, I have everything I need on 3.60.

16. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    Oh, certainly better, no doubt. Portability is my concern here, though. Two things the GPD XD has going for it is built in controls and a small, clamshell form factor.

17. Scarlet

Scarlet Rydeen

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    Putting your opinion of piracy aside, I'm pretty sure Monster Hunter sold the PSP for the most-part, not piracy. I have to wonder if the Vita would have been more successful if MH3, 4, and Generations was released for it?

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  18. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany

considering inflation, game prices have actually gone down and are cheaper than theyve ever been

Cosmic_Link and Tomato Hentai like this.
  19. ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 15, 2014
    But they are not in production any more. If someone wants a handheld system for emulation the gpd xd is the best choice at the moment. I don't doubt the nvidia shield is better but with low availability probably best go for the next best thing

20. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    That's a shame that it takes being able to pirate ps vita games for people to care about the ps vita.

Pluupy, Subtle Demise and yuyuyup like this.