PS Vita Hacks and Game Decryption

Major_Tom recently released instructions for decrypting and dumping games right from the PS Vita using the new HENkaku web exploit for 3.60 by team Molecule.

He also details how to run game mods by modifying the files in the redirected space, much like smea's homebrew 3DS app that enables users to change the game content-- meaning fan translations and skin hacks!

Does this mean piracy for Vita is just around the corner? Probably. But in the mean time, we can run homebrew now in Vita hardware space instead of just in PSP Emulated space, giving us access to better hardware for the emulators and homebrew!

:arrow:Source

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I honestly hope this doesn't lead to vita piracy. As a loyal vita owner I would hate to see the consoles life cut even shorter due to filthy pirates just playing free games and not supporting the devs as that's just going to cause third party developer interest for the vita to drop like a brick most likely
Sony left the Vita left for dead in the west so if you want to be angry at someone then that's Sony not common people, dude. I'm glad Vita's been hacked because it gave me a reason to actually own it.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ANNOUNCEMRNTS: HOMEBREW NOW AVAILABLE FOR PS VITA

EVERYONE: ......................

ME: Oh cool, now i can play genesis games. Sonic 3, Beyond oasis, Shining force. Kid Chameleon. Nice stuff. Can't forget snes and such. Wonder what homebrew games can be made now?

ANNOUNCEMENTS: PIRACY NOW POSSIBLE FOR PS VITA

EVERYONE: *Dust off vita and PSTV*

ME: *Waiting for Phantasy star online 2* Well got some emulators, and some other games to hold me over until phantasy star online 2 comes.... hopefully.

Reactions: Chary

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I want to get a Vita pretty badly now. I've seen many on craigslist that are barely used going for $120-150 and that is definitely affordable for me. The problem is the memory, if I'm going to get a PS Vita I'd get all my games digitally but the memory is so damn expensive and hard to get. I'm probably going to spend more money on mem cards than the console alone and that's just what is putting me off on the Vita. I would think the Vita would go very well with my PS4 because I have a lot of cross buy (crossplay?) games on my PS4 that would be great on a Vita :unsure:

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly hope this doesn't lead to vita piracy. As a loyal vita owner I would hate to see the consoles life cut even shorter due to filthy pirates just playing free games and not supporting the devs as that's just going to cause third party developer interest for the vita to drop like a brick most likely
The Vita is pretty much competing with the Wii-U for the most dead current gen console. And piracy sure didn't kill either of those consoles.

The Vita is Sony's "red headed step child". Sony gives less of a fuck about the Vita than Nintendo does about the Wii-U, because the Wii-U is getting BOTW.

tuxdude143

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Sony left the Vita left for dead in the west so if you want to be angry at someone then that's Sony not common people, dude. I'm glad Vita's been hacked because it gave me a reason to actually own it.

The Vita is pretty much competing with the Wii-U for the most dead current gen console. And piracy sure didn't kill either of those consoles.

The Vita is Sony's "red headed step child". Sony gives less of a fuck about the Vita than Nintendo does about the Wii-U, because the Wii-U is getting BOTW.

Just because sony doesn't support it doesn't mean it lacks third party support. In fact, the vita has AMAZING third party support if you just took a look at the game library for more than 1 phemtosecond. On top of that, in Japan the vita is thriving which also contributes to the high number of third party titles it gets.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

To be honest, if no one is buying systems, then no one is buying games, also if people are buying systems and still no games, piracy won't change much. People will still not be buying games.

In turn, if you honestly like what people make and do, then buying is the only way to support it. Games get cancelled cause not enough customer support or interest, (Megaman legends 3) And it just what happens. Ultimatly it comes down to people not making dumb decisions to cause catastraphe to the market. Either way is gonna happen.

If there no games to buy cause of not having value then people won't buy it, and piracy won't change that, but will have people think again about making games for the console. The companies will always try and find ways to secure their payment at all times, and customers will always try to get better deals Which evenutally leads to piracy in the end. since it means free.

The tom and jerry tales will never end. Game of cat and mouse will continue to exist until one side wins.

1 People stop making games and consoles causing video game crash again, blaming piracy and hackers.

2 people purchase games and follow the rules of legal owned games and continue paying for games hoping more gets made.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the vita homebrew is on its peak, i might finally get myself a vita, just because of the emulators (and because nvidia shields are not found where i live...)

aenoch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's nice to hear that. PS Vita is dead. Sorry to say that but it's true.
Most of the games suck and you can see from the sale numbers.... It's a total pain in the ass. It will never beat Nintendo with it's good old Mario games.
I don't think piracy is wrong. Actually it often makes a console better. I don't think that PSP would have so many sales if piracy wouldn't exist.
And not everyone can afford games for 40-50 bucks (including me). Piracy sounds bad but it's actually not.. Please don't call it piracy. It's helpful because you can backup your games without worrying about your CDs. So it's actually pretty nice. I know we should support the developers, but hey.. They've got already their millions and the games are mostly overpriced while they get worse and content less every time.
A new game in 2005: 30$
A new game in 2016: 60-80$
What to expect? And developers wonder why "piracy" is so popular..
How much will we pay in 2020? The price of the console itself?
So please respect piracy until the developers will take care of our needs.
And if you pirate a game and you really enjoy it... Please do me a favor: Buy it! ;)

While I think it's nice to hear we're getting there, I'm pissed off a little bit.
Why? Hackers. This is a part of homebrew that I hate. Destroying good old games. Sad. Please use homebrew smart and don't do stupid things! If you need to cheat, because you want to try something out or want to got further in your game.. Do it! But please do it offline.. This is my only request.

Guys.
I'm out.
Super nintendo games were 59.99.

tuxdude143

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I don't see why people need to bitch about vita game prices because they are way WAY cheaper than what nintendo charges. (A vita game here costs me 40 to 60NZD while a 3DS game here costs me 80 to 100NZD)

Anunnymous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Everyone forgets this. Hell, NES games were $49.99 USD when they were new. I don't know why everyone thinks games were so much cheaper "back in the day." The only thing I can think of is people were buying more used and don't remember that. Or, renting was more prevalent so when they finally did buy a particular game, it was already reduced in price. Game prices really haven't changed much.

Yoshimashin

Penguin Spy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wrong site to be on and the system is dead, dude.

What little left that is to make it on our side of the world will still come out.

I'm personally excited for translation projects.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vita games are probably the cheapest of any system I've ever owned. I don't think I've paid more than £10 for any of mine, and less than £5 for most. And to say there's no games, I've managed to fill a 64GB card pretty well. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Vita has good games aplenty. The issue lies in the fact these games all hail from the same few genres (JRPGs, Visual Novels, etc), and they're rather niche. So hey, the Vita, and its games, aren't for everybody. But that by no means says it has no games, nor that those games are bad ^^
So it's like a handheld sharp x68000?

aenoch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone forgets this. Hell, NES games were $49.99 USD when they were new. I don't know why everyone thinks games were so much cheaper "back in the day." The only thing I can think of is people were buying more used and don't remember that. Or, renting was more prevalent so when they finally did buy a particular game, it was already reduced in price. Game prices really haven't changed much.
or parents were buying them. I didnt know theybwere around the same orice till i found a ad awile ago

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
So... Vita owners will not be able to pirate the complete catalog of ...30 games?
i have ten physical games, the last time i had that many for something was gba and gc...
vita has many games, whether you like them or not is something else

Last edited by cearp,

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have ten physical games, the last time i had that many for something was gba and gc...
vita has many games, whether you like them or not is something else
I correct myself... Vita owners will now be able to pirate the complete only 10 good games in their catalog.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I correct myself... Vita owners will now be able to pirate the complete only 10 good games in their catalog.
i'm pretty sure we still can't pirate anything yet lol
decryption being possible or not, we still need licenses (and to get past them)

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Back in 1990, I remember seeing the new game Strider for Sega Genesis selling for a whopping $99.99 here in Canada (was a Toys'R'Us store). It was more expensive by about $20 than the regular Genesis games, because it was a BIG 8 MB game! :lol: Yes, regular Genesis games at launch were usually $80. Checking the bankofcanada website to calculate inflation and convert to today's equivalent prices, Strider would be selling for $165, and regular Genesis games, at $132. While I'm at it, in US currency, that's $125.75 for Strider and $100 for regular games. So bottom line is, NO, game prices are not worse than they used to be. And piracy was not a big problem on SNES and Genesis back in the day. There were some devices to pirate games, but people didn't know about them, because no internet. So can't blame piracy for these outrageous prices.

Reactions: aenoch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs