• Views 2,077,281
  • Replies 1,683
  • Likes 90

RamTam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Katakana. Yes, the label on the dialogue box says ナルホド instead of ナルホドー. But this is the only place where it's spelled like that off the top of my head. Your guess is as good as mine why that is - emphasizing the pun, not enough space (not in DGS, but it's been spelled that way on the dialogue box label since the first GBA game), ...
The right romanization of his name is however "Naruhodou" (or "Naruhodō" if you prefer modified Hepburn) - the "o" sound must be long.

Had you looked back a little further you'd have found this ;)
zpxsUAe.png

I mostly agree with paperbag (or "alter_eigo" - I just got that pun :rolleyes:), but this time it's a clear case. She's right about people nitpicking about other stuff, though. There is no single "right" translation sometimes - but people who watched one or two Anime in Japanese sometimes think they're experts :P
Good to know you guys are taking the lazy route. I am really thankful for the translation but it's disappointing that yet again you won't just take off the unnecessary vowels, or just use ō, ū, etc. Not only does this confuse people who speak English who aren't much informed on Japanese romanization, it's just not needed and too direct.p of a translation. You undoubtedly won't listen to me, but I have to say this sucks. At least you put the names in correct order...

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Good to know you guys are taking the lazy route. I am really thankful for the translation but it's disappointing that yet again you won't just take off the unnecessary vowels, or just use ō, ū, etc. Not only does this confuse people who speak English who aren't much informed on Japanese romanization, it's just not needed and too direct.p of a translation. You undoubtedly won't listen to me, but I have to say this sucks. At least you put the names in correct order...
The "lazy route"? You do realize that keeping the vowels is an extra keystroke every time? :lol:

And the vowels are not unnecessary, or is your real name RaamTaam? It's not about taste or style - it's wrong to leave them out. We did discuss which romanization style to use - Kunrei-shiki and Nihon-shiki were obviously dropped quickly, so the choice was between traditional or modified Hepburn. You seem to prefer Macrons and this is also the style I was required to use at Uni - but the vote for traditional Hepburn was unanimous, as most people prefer it and some were concerned that the Macrons would confuse people.

You don't like it and that's OK, but we can't make everyone happy.

TurnaboutLover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not only does this confuse people who speak English who aren't much informed on Japanese romanization,
Personally this doesn't seem like it'd have that big of an impact on me.

Like I was kinda confused when I first read the first name done different ways depending on who wrote it, sometimes I saw people do it as Ryuunosuke but others it was done as Ryūnosuke but that didn't bother me for too long.

darklord1013

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If possible, could team if give a percentage on their progress or some more screenshots of what you have so far like on the first page of this thread?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If your SD card is not complete trash, the game should run smoothly
Also, can you clarify on what "complete trash" means because i think ill use HANS since my 3ds is sadly on 11.3. For instance, I have a sd card with soundhax and HANS on it and thats pretty much it will that be fine to download the patch run DGS? (also sorry i know this isnt a cfw thread but i want to know since i really want to play DGS.

Last edited by darklord1013,

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If possible, could team if give a percentage on their progress or some more screenshots of what you have so far like on the first page of this thread?
I'm not sure how more screenshots could be useful, we don't want to spoil the game. And percentages are misleading - for instance: Episode 1 has been completed for some time now, but we couldn't release it yet due to some technical issues we're still in the process of solving. You can try the Demo while you wait.

Also, can you clarify on what "complete trash" means because i think ill use HANS since my 3ds is sadly on 11.3. For instance, I have a sd card with soundhax and HANS on it and thats pretty much it will that be fine to download the patch run DGS? (also sorry i know this isnt a cfw thread but i want to know since i really want to play DGS.
With complete trash I mean cheap, slow, unreliable SD cards. I can't give you advice on which model or brand to buy, but just try to avoid eBay. Soundhax & HANS are tested and confirmed to work with DGS game cards.

Reactions: darklord1013

darklord1013

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how more screenshots could be useful, we don't want to spoil the game. And percentages are misleading - for instance: Episode 1 has been completed for some time now, but we couldn't release it yet due to some technical issues we're still in the process of solving. You can try the Demo while you wait.

With complete trash I mean cheap, slow, unreliable SD cards. I can't give you advice on which model or brand to buy, but just try to avoid eBay. Soundhax & HANS are tested and confirmed to work with DGS game cards.
Ok thanks for the tips and clarifying!

TurnaboutLover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure how more screenshots could be useful, we don't want to spoil the game.
That's a fair point.
for instance: Episode 1 has been completed for some time now, but we couldn't release it yet due to some technical issues we're still in the process of solving.
That's encouraging to hear at least. :)

Last edited by TurnaboutLover,

Slash1227

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm like super dumb and really confused by all of this and this question has probably been answered like a thousand times, but once the translation and game is complete, what exactly will I need to get to actually play the game

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I'm like super dumb and really confused by all of this and this question has probably been answered like a thousand times, but once the translation and game is complete, what exactly will I need to get to actually play the game
1) Original Game Card
2) Dual Destinies installed (DEMO is enough)
3) If your firmware is 11.2 or lower - CFW: https://3ds.guide/
if you're on 11.3 - HANS: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

We do not support piracy or talking about it here. DGS does not work in any emulator at this time.

TurnaboutLover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I've got Dual Destinies so that's one thing sorted for me. :D
Also, maybe a bit of another dumb question, but since this is planned to be an episodic release will the game go back to Japanese starting with the second case after you (As in the player) finish case 1 or will it just not continue any further until the player is able to have the following case installed as well?

Last edited by TurnaboutLover,

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I've got Dual Destinies so that's one thing sorted for me. :D
Also, maybe a bit of another dumb question, but since this is planned to be an episodic release will the game go back to Japanese starting with the second case after you (As in the player) finish case 1 or will it just not continue any further until the player is able to have the following case installed as well?
Back to Japanese afaik

darklord1013

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Original Game Card
2) Dual Destinies installed (DEMO is enough)
3) If your firmware is 11.2 or lower - CFW: https://3ds.guide/
if you're on 11.3 - HANS: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

We do not support piracy or talking about it here. DGS does not work in any emulator at this time.
So will there be seperate files to be downloaded onto the sd card for HANS. Because i've heard of this thing called braindump to be used with HANS, will this be required?

Steve_Doido

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would like to recommend making the usual english name but making them sound japonese afterwards. It's what we are planning to do in a possible Brazilian Portuguese translation. A lot of people think they could get away with any problems by saying Wright has japonese decent. And that might just work...
Overall thought, would truthfully say to move slowly with this. It's not impossible we get these games officially, and while a patch may prove there's an interest, doing too much would demotivate the official team in doing so.

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What exactly do you mean by "Making them sound Japanese afterward"?

It's my own fault for immediately doing in when the window came up saying it was ready to update. X(
I think he may mean honorifics like for example Wright-San. We are not including honorifics in the game, and are using the Japanese names (so Naruhodou instead of Wright, etc.)

Steve_Doido

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What exactly do you mean by "Making them sound Japanese afterward"?
Among the options, one of our favorites was to romanize the names to japonese and then transliterate them back.
For example, our version of Wright, Veríssimo, would be Berishimu (ベリシム) in this situation. You get the results by changing "si" and "ci" to "shi", "v" to "b", "l" to "r", etc.

Here's a list of Hiragana characters for reference:
Nihongo_ichiran_01.png

Edit: Please, no sufixes like -kun, -chan or -sama. They are a language tool exclusive to japonese, and not adapting them can make your translation seem unprofessional (as well as alienating the majority of the audience for it).

Last edited by Steve_Doido,
Reactions: CaptainSwag101

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages