• Views 2,076,699
  • Replies 1,683
  • Likes 90

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know DGS2 isn't even finished and you're far from finished on this, but just out of sheer curiosity, on the off chance that any of you did decide to translate DGS2 do you think you would keep the number in the title or make a different title like the fan translation team for Investigations 2 did?
Both of them have a title:

DGS1 has
大逆転裁判 -成歩堂龍ノ介の冒險-
which we translated as:
The Great Ace Attorney - The Adventure of Ryuunosuke Naruhodou

DGS2 will have
大逆転裁判 -成歩堂龍ノ介の覺悟-
which we will most likely translate as:
The Great Ace Attorney - The Resolve of Ryuunosuke Naruhodou
(though there is a weird play on words going on here - we'll see)

Again: I just said I can't speak for everyone on the team, but I'm sure at least some of us will work on DGS2. But we can't really make plans for that until we're done with part one, right?

TurnaboutLover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Both of them have a title:

DGS1 has
大逆転裁判 -成歩堂龍ノ介の冒險-
which we translated as:
The Great Ace Attorney - The Adventure of Ryuunosuke Naruhodou

DGS2 will have
大逆転裁判 -成歩堂龍ノ介の覺悟-
which we will most likely translate as:
The Great Ace Attorney - The Resolve of Ryuunosuke Naruhodou
(though there is a weird play on words going on here - we'll see)
Again: I just said I can't speak for everyone on the team, but I'm sure at least some of us will work on DGS2. But we can't really make plans for that until we're done with part one, right?
Whoops.

Last edited by TurnaboutLover,

shahanshah

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If Nintendo haven't region locked 3DS, I would consider it. I'm not importing to show Nintendo their decision sucked. Voting with my wallet.
So you're gonna pirate it? That's not voting with your wallet, you know, that's breaking the law. I'm not gonna play moral police, but don't pretend that you're helping

pixelmasher

Gaming Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you're gonna pirate it? That's not voting with your wallet, you know, that's breaking the law. I'm not gonna play moral police, but don't pretend that you're helping
I wouldn't be asking support for pirated game. I'm sure someone will share a pre-patched CIA and 3DS on the internet and provide support for people that need it. There are whole sites full of pirates. Not that I'm saying I would pirate it or any one else should. I don't think I'm the target demographic. After looking into it, I think this is a game that I might buy from the bargain bin. I'm going to stop now since it's getting off-topic.
If you bothered to read rest of what I wrote, you would know better. I bolded the relevant parts for you.

scovelme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who is new to learning Japanese, why is the Wright family's Japanese name often translated as "Naruhodou" when the hiragana in the games spell out "Naruhodo"?

TurnaboutLover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As someone who is new to learning Japanese, why is the Wright family's Japanese name often translated as "Naruhodou" when the hiragana in the games spell out "Naruhodo"?

I looked back in the thread and found this.

Translations aren't always clear cut, and it might seem from your pov that Naruhodo was the correct translation, given the name text. However, after looking at the kanji and the initial introduction, we decided to stick with dou, since that particular pronunciation was more accurate.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
*Katakana. Yes, the label on the dialogue box says ナルホド instead of ナルホドー. But this is the only place where it's spelled like that off the top of my head. Your guess is as good as mine why that is - emphasizing the pun, not enough space (not in DGS, but it's been spelled that way on the dialogue box label since the first GBA game), ...
The right romanization of his name is however "Naruhodou" (or "Naruhodō" if you prefer modified Hepburn) - the "o" sound must be long.

I looked back in the thread and found this.

Had you looked back a little further you'd have found this ;)
zpxsUAe.png

I mostly agree with paperbag (or "alter_eigo" - I just got that pun :rolleyes:), but this time it's a clear case. She's right about people nitpicking about other stuff, though. There is no single "right" translation sometimes - but people who watched one or two Anime in Japanese sometimes think they're experts :P

Last edited by Uwabami,

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation :)
The reason I was saying that though was because in the first AA game Mia refers to him as "なる" or Naruhodo-kun.
They're underlined, because they are links to the wikipedia page you copied them from ;)

The scene in the first AA game you're referring to is about Mia getting Phoenix' name wrong. His name is Naruhodou, yet she keeps calling him Naruhodo.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
She gets his name wrong?
Not only his. Like in the English version, most names are puns. She not only confuses Naruhodou (Phonix' Japanese surname) with naruhodo ("I see", "indeed", "makes sense", ...), but also Larry Butz' name Yahari with Yappari (which both have the same meaning). This also happens in the English version, where she calls Larry "Harry", but I don't remember what she called Phoenix.

Oh, and that develops into a running gag. Maya and Pearl also call him Naruhodo-kun because of that. It didn't translate well, so they used Nick / Mr. Nick in English

Last edited by Uwabami,

TurnaboutLover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So are you going to use the term "Post Mortem" for the entirety of the game rather than "Autopsy report" or was that just for the portion in the demo?

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So are you going to use the term "Post Mortem" for the entirety of the game rather than "Autopsy report" or was that just for the portion in the demo?
They used a different term in DGS from other AA games. We felt we need to reflect that. It changes again in later chapters. We've played all AA games and we try to identify (sometime subtle) differences to convey the same experience. If you see things that are different from other AA games in DGS, you can bet it's on purpose.

For example: The button to view the characters in the court record is "People involved" in Japanese (which is obviously too long), so we used "People" in English. We know it's "Profiles" in every other AA game, but DGS uses a different term from other AA games in Japanese, so we changed the English word as well.

Reactions: Feroz El Mejor

TurnaboutLover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just watched the first part of an LP as well and, I'm not sure where they got their translation from, but it was referred to as a corpse inspection report.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just watched the first part of an LP as well and, I'm not sure where they got their translation from, but it was referred to as a corpse inspection report.
Translation is not an exact science. Our goal was to find a word that could have been in use at that time and sounds a little outdated.

TurnaboutLover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I just felt like mentioning that.
I did find it interesting how one of the difficulties Takumi ran into in the writing process was apparently writing dialogue that didn't sound too modern but not too old fashioned either.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You may be interested in joining either (or both) of these Discords:

Ace Attorney: -snip- (terrible)
Court Records: -snip- (defunct)

Some of us are hanging out there as well. Please make sure to read their rules about spoilers etc. when joining.

Last edited by Uwabami,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1