Misc Project Project Espresso - an Nintendo TVii revival!

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@HowGoodandBadcaniBe There are no such YT movies cause no such codes exist.

Don't want to be the bad guy but I guess development stopped cause I showed them their goal is impossible before they even had a PoC.

That said - and I really hope I'm wrong but: You'll never see Netflix running on the Wii U again thanks to https://www.widevine.com/solutions/widevine-drm

_illuminati

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The TVii app was supposed to be able to play videos natively... I suggest this be your focus as it would be the ultimate way to play movies in a living room setting. We might not have Netflix but we have HDD / SD... Networks... and it has a relatively modern menu for a homebrew tinkering.

Don't be dissuaded by a lack of Netflix.

Everyone who wants a video player, would love the TVii app as that very tool.

I believe in you... Support video off memory.
Someone will eventually do it ... I'm kinda upset it's taking forever for any progress towards a native video player on a device dedicated to being a home media center... It has a universal remote FFS ..

I thought it would be great for my parents instead of the jank computer they have that can definitely emulate SNES... They use it for movies...

They use it for Netflix.. but they also don't own the account so .... It's lower power consumption .. it's touch screen... It's genuinely user friendly design.

We need to encourage this project rather than bury it under not being able to watch WokeFlix... Long post, just want to use this function... And I've looked for a long time for a video player and the best is the lowest effort... Because it's on the Wii... And you can use it in WiiVC... Wow..

It (TVii) streamed videos as well, don't see why we couldn't use that for home networks... I don't want to set that up for my mom, no one wants that phone call... I already get enough, my printer isn't working... And I live half way across the country.. if I could have done it I would have, but... Here iAM trying to encourage you. More is better, but we still need the basics for some reason.

Good luck 👍

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The TVii app was supposed to be able to play videos natively...
You sure about that? Like maybe that was internally true? But I never recall this being a feature they advertised for TVii (or its future) at all. As I recall how it was advertised, TVii was always meant to be a companion app to your television, working as TV guide, a display for sports scores, a description of what just happened in the previous plays, display entertainment news, let you browse what streaming app particular shows and movies are available on, etc. etc.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm not arguing that the Wii U couldn't be capable of outputting video, I'm just curious if it was ever confirmed anywhere that they intended TVii to be something that also displayed videos. Feel like that would have made the app a way more curious program than it ever came across as. And don't get me wrong, I loved TVii for what it was, I just don't believe there was ever much intention for it to be some sort of video playback app in addition to what it was officially doing.

elyk233

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, if I am correct, this just loads a web page, if so would it be possible to just redirect it to whatever site you wanted?

PoorPocketsMcNewHold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, if I am correct, this just loads a web page, if so would it be possible to just redirect it to whatever site you wanted?
You can already do that. I did try to my local media server interface. The issue, however, is the Wii U basic web browser. It doesn't support a lot of modern web features.

KaydeRocks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they could add a live tv option with local channels and pay channels depending on your location. I think Pretendo network should continue this project

Reactions: elyk233

KaydeRocks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason a live tv option could happen is because the Wii was able to get iptv channels working on WiiMC so it should have iptv channels
Post automatically merged:

And pretendo network should buy out the project.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Deeze nuts