Hacking programmer for chiip

WII20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried building the programmer for Chiip four times and every time I run the programmer from chiipwin32.exe file, it says "avr device not responding" "initialization failed rc=1" I don't know what I'm doing wrong; I have checked the connections and they all seem to be ok and it still doesn't work.
cry.gif
Any suggestions? (is it possible that someone in the US can build a Chiip programmer for me and send it to me for a reasonable price?) Thanks

fiver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Show us the exact command line you are using. Also, are you certain that your parallel port works correctly?

WII20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded the batch files that Perplexer linked to and downloaded the AVR DUDE Chiip Beta 4 file. I clicked on install giveio , and then clicked on program and I still get the same message "avr device not responding". Here is a pic of the 4th programmer I built: (I used 30 awg wire)
I tried this on both a desktop and a laptop. Mikesoft, I'm gonna send you a pm shortly.

WII20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ye, I used 220 Ohm resistors; I ordered all the parts from futurlec (which someone posted the part list before). The other times around, I had to go out and get 47uf capacitor at 35v instead of 25v from Radioshack. I also had to get get two 16 pin IC sockets and glue them together (the atmel chip fits in perfect), since they don't carry 28 pin IC sockets. I also soldered the pins of the resistors at 4,5,6,7,8 of the sub connector together, soldered a wire to that and then soldered the wire to the capacitor and then from there soldered another wire from the capacitor to the IC socket. I did the same for point 25 but without a resistor. There was also times where when I was soldering, I felt the wire getting very hot; is it possible that one of the wires may have been burnt out?
unsure.gif
(To solder the wire unto the resistors and pins of the IC Socket, I formed a circle with the tip of the stripped wire and then just slid it on the pin (like threading with a needle) and then soldered.)

anitabill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could be wrong because it is hard to see in your picture. I think you did the same thing we did when we built ours. On the diagram on the Chiip website you are looking at socket from the top. Not from underneath like he describes for the D-SUB 25. It appears you have the wires reversed on your socket. I did the same thing the first time and received the exact same error. Again I could be wrong…If you can take a better pic it would helpful.

TheTwins

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with Anitabill; it looks like you have the wires connected to the wrong pins on your (32-pin
happy.gif
) socket.

twintwo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you are right on the money.... From the looks of your pic, it does look like exactly what myself and anitabill did the first time we built it. Same error also. If so... should be a quick fix to reverse the wiring.

WII20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YES!!, I thought the diagram was from underneath , thats how i connected the pins!! When I get home tonight, I'm going to reverse the connections and see what happens,, and I'll also take a better pic. Thanks so much guys!!!! I hope this works
rolleyes.gif

mikeosoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey man congrats, i almost did that too but caught it when i looked the final time b4 soldering... lol. guess u don't need me ha, i enjoyed this project alot

WII20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I reversed the connections and it still gives me the "avr not responding" message :'( . Heres a pic of the programmer after I reveresed the pins

anitabill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The pic is very blurry. But I dont see the (-) side of your capacitor connected to pin 25 on the D-SUB 25 connector. Is it there? I can see it connected to 7 on the socket but it also needs to be connected to 25 on the D-SUB 25 connector.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
just to be safe, try your programmer on a different computer/LPT port and see if you get the same result. I got the exact parts from futurlec so if it helps look at the back of the 25pin connector. Each pin is numbered on the solder side. You mentioned you used a different capacitor but I honestly have no idea if that would make a difference.

Check the end of the resistor on pin 9. It looks like it might touch the cluster of 4-8. What does you chip itself look like. Is it possible that you fried it soldering to it?

WII20

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't soldered anything to the chip yet but, when I was reverse soldering the pins of the ic socket, i forgot to take out the chip out from the socket. The chip felt hot (from the heat transfered) but the chip pins look alright. Could I have fried the chip this way?
wtf.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s