Hacking Problem updating R4iGold from r4ids.cn, Revision C

jmckutchin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's only been a couple days since I emailed them... you may want to wait another week.

And honestly, if you do end up buying another card, I would just get a DSTwo. Be done with all these annoyances.

Midnight Tboy

Trophies
XP
Country
kind of agree.......certainly would not agree with buying another of the same card....it would only serve to encourage them to not update existing devices........Haven't been able to use mine at all since bought it - other than a failing update menu screen :( I'd either wait it out, or get another card by another company. Personally I'm waiting. Its crazy that theres different revisions of Revision C though - how stupid is that......and just goes to fragment their own support more

Melee85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tend not to post a lot here, mainly just lurk and read threads of relevance. Figure I'd step in now to say my piece on the matter.

I had bought one of these R4i Golds with the Metroid demo icon pre-installed, and figured after keeping an eye on this thread that it likely wasn't going to be fixed, at least not for a good while.

I ended up ordering a DSTWO after discovering the retailer was happy to refund my other purchase, I just received it the other morning. No regrets now.

Considering that the 3DS may very well be due for another update soon, my advice is to just get a DSTWO instead. Might be a tad more pricey, but ultimately what you're getting is a card that will not give you any bother in the long run. Take it from someone who's gone through several different cards.

Can't get a refund on the R4i? Just have to cut your losses and get the more reliable card. Or wait. Your choice.

w00th00t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't get a refund on the R4i? Just have to cut your losses and get the more reliable card. Or wait. Your choice.

One of my concerns about getting the DSTWO is its battery consumption. From what I've heard, even if you close the 3DS (whether in a game or not) as long as the cartridge is in there it's draining battery like crazy. It's really frustrating, though that R4i is doing this crap right now, because I switched to it because I was sick of Acekard's crap. Why can't we have a DSTWO without half of those extra fancy features that suck out so much battery life?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
One of my concerns about getting the DSTWO is its battery consumption. From what I've heard, even if you close the 3DS (whether in a game or not) as long as the cartridge is in there it's draining battery like crazy. It's really frustrating, though that R4i is doing this crap right now, because I switched to it because I was sick of Acekard's crap. Why can't we have a DSTWO without half of those extra fancy features that suck out so much battery life?
The DS doesn't actually have a sleep mode, all carts are still active (even physical game carts) when the lid is closed. I have, multiple times, closed my DSi with an official Pokemon cart running, only to find it dead or near-dead in the morning.

If you need to pause with a DS, do an RTS and turn it off.

w00th00t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS doesn't actually have a sleep mode, all carts are still active (even physical game carts) when the lid is closed. I have, multiple times, closed my DSi with an official Pokemon cart running, only to find it dead or near-dead in the morning.

If you need to pause with a DS, do an RTS and turn it off.

Well obviously. The whole thing with sleep mode--or rather with the shell closed--is that it is still eating away at battery power, but in much smaller bites. My XL can go very long periods of time in "Sleep" mode without getting completely drained. Works great on full-day excursions when I want to spotpass with people when I'm not playing games whilst travelling.

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Seems like im out of luck or I dont know anything about what im trying to do... I got my DSTWO and ive been trying to make it work on my 3DSXL 4.4.0-10U but the card is not shown on the 3DS menu. If I go to settings and then go out to the menu the card is there but if I launch it, it gives me an error...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Seems like im out of luck or I dont know anything about what im trying to do... I got my DSTWO and ive been trying to make it work on my 3DSXL 4.4.0-10U but the card is not shown on the 3DS menu. If I go to settings and then go out to the menu the card is there but if I launch it, it gives me an error...
Sounds like a contact issue between the 3DS and the DSTwo, and/or between the DSTwo and the MicroSD.

jmckutchin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since nds-card is sending me a r4i3ds.cn guaranteed to work with the latest firmware (hopefully the deep labyrinth icon, since that seems to be the latest model), I'll be sticking with that for the time being. But unless the r4ids.cn team actually releases an update for the bad Rev. C batch, this is the first and last time I'll ever buy one of their cards. There's no excuse for not supporting a card that was just released a few months ago.

Rydian, I know I've mentioned this before, but is there any way to add a disclaimer to the What's flashcart should I get thread? I think it should be noted that their cards have a short lifetime.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But you know that R4i3ds.cn is not r4ids.cn? The R4i3ds.cn team is another, not suggested, fake R4 team. The homepage of R4i3ds.cn is not avaible and it doesn't seem to be supported any more. (If there ever was a R4i card with the homepage r4i3ds.cn).

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like a contact issue between the 3DS and the DSTwo, and/or between the DSTwo and the MicroSD.

Question, how can it be a contacts issue if after going in and out of 3ds settings the card icon shows? it gives an error but the icon shows....

w00th00t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just pointing out that draining in "sleep mode" is not a DSTwo thing, it's a DS thing in general.

My point is that reports have told me that the DSTwo specifically drains the battery more than a normal cartridge and when the system is closed it continues to drain the battery at the same rate and not a reduced rate as it's supposed to.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Question, how can it be a contacts issue if after going in and out of 3ds settings the card icon shows? it gives an error but the icon shows....
The header checks aren't just the actual header anymore, they also want some info from the ROM. From what we can guess, the cart keeps the header data flashed to itself, but reads the extra data off the MicroSD. If you try a DSTwo without a MicroSD, it won't be read even by carts that would normally read it.

My guess is that going back from the menu just isn't initializing the cart the same way it would be on powerup. The same sort of thing happened with the DSi and the Ak2i on older bootloaders, booting normally gave you Danny Phantom, but if you started the DSi camera app then went back to the menu, you'd see the old Ak2i icon (and it would refuse to boot until you restarted the DS).

The DSTwo is trying to boot without the extra data on the MicroSD being read out properly, which is why it's detected and blocked.

My point is that reports have told me that the DSTwo specifically drains the battery more than a normal cartridge and when the system is closed it continues to drain the battery at the same rate and not a reduced rate as it's supposed to.
It depends on what was being done beforehand, as the DSTwo can run at multiple speeds.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-ultimate-ds-battery-test-thread-in-the-world.289020/
When running standard homebrew and DS games, the DSTwo is not the worst offender in battery drain. It's DSTwo-specific homebrew that will clock it higher, draining more power.

Unless there's some dev that can confirm that the DSTwo clocks itself up higher when going into sleep for some reason...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la