Price drop on ds lite after DSi release?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by dukenukethis, Oct 21, 2008.

Oct 21, 2008
  1. dukenukethis
    OP

Newcomer dukenukethis Advanced Member

United States
    Has anyone heard if there is a price drop planned for the DS lite after the DSi comes out? My Phat DS has served me well, but every time I play my fiance's DS lite whenever I go back to my DS I think "I have got to get one of those!" But I don't want to shell out $130 for a console that I already have.

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    I doubt it. The DSi will cost $50 more than the DSL even without reducing the DSL's price. If anything, maybe $10.

3. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The last thing they'll want to do is drop the DSL price far enough that people will keep buying it instead of the DSi.

Did they drop the price of the original DS when the DSL came out? I don't think they did, but I can't remember for sure.

4. kevenka

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I doubt they will drop the price by much though...I mean even after the DSi comes out...50 extra dollars for a slightly larger screen and a built in 3 Mpxl camera isn't really going to grab a ton of audience. The DS's main attraction was the types of games they had targetted a large amount of audience. They are probably attempting to attract the people who always want the newest thing or nintendo fanboys for easy cash.

5. cepheus

Member cepheus GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    for people in north america, the dsi is coming in late 2009.

that means if you buy a ds lite now, you have it for almost a whole year ... so even if they did drop the price, it would still be worth it.

6. ShakeBunny

Member ShakeBunny GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm betting that they will. It will help them to sell the last of the DS Lites manufactured.

Nintendo has always lowered the price of their handhelds when they released a new one. When the GBA came out it cost 100 dollars. When the SP came out the GBA was lowered to 50 dollars (not the day the SP came out, but shortly after).

So, yes Nintendo will most likely lower the price of the DS Lite once the DSi comes out. It only makes sense.

7. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    I would think so. at the beginning I would imagine that they wont, but any price drops that the DSi gets will be mirrored in the DS lite.

8. dukenukethis
    OP

Newcomer dukenukethis Advanced Member

United States
    I guess it depends if the DSi and lite are supposed to be contemporaries or if the DSi is going to phase out the lite.

9. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    I predict that in 2 or 3 years time, the DS Lite will be totally wiped from stores, and while in that time the price can go as low as $95 near the end of the DS Lite sales.

10. cepheus

Member cepheus GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    ds lite will go off shelves whenever its successor come (not dsi).

but millions will still be playing it =D

hell, I still fire up the gameboy every once in a while.

11. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    Nope. When I got my mine (a year or two ago) phats cost $130 and Lites cost $120!