PS1/2 Pre MM3-modded replacement PS1 stopped working right after one day

CaseyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two weeks ago I got an MM3-modded North American PS1 off someone on eBay, and while it read North American games fine, it struggled to even start up Japanese games, especially burnt ones, and had bad FMV skipping in them.

The dealer sent me a free replacement that came in yesterday, a premodded SCPH-9001 and it worked like a dream, reading those same games with zero startup lag and no issues.

When I turned it on today, it now has the same issues. What could've happened to it in such a short amount of time when it previously started up discs faster than any PS1 I'd ever seen? Is there a fix I could try besides cleaning the laser with rubbing alcohol (already tried that, nothing)?

The only thing I could think of is that yesterday I accidentally burnt a disc at max speed in imgburn instead of x1/x2 speed and put it in, and it had music delay/cutout issues (Namco Museum Vol. 2). Games worked fine the rest of the day, and I've never heard of the wrong write speed damaging a console.

Last edited by CaseyDog,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Two weeks ago I got an MM3-modded North American PS1 off someone on eBay, and while it read North American games fine, it struggled to even start up Japanese games, especially burnt ones, and had bad FMV skipping in them.

The dealer sent me a free replacement that came in yesterday and it worked like a dream, reading those same games with zero startup lag and no issues.

When I turned it on today, it now has the same issues. What could've happened to it in such a short amount of time when it previously started up discs faster than any PS1 I'd ever seen? Is there a fix I could try besides cleaning the laser with rubbing alcohol (already tried that, nothing)?

The only thing I could think of is that yesterday I accidentally burnt a disc at max speed in imgburn instead of x1/x2 speed and put it in, and it had music delay/cutout issues (Namco Museum Vol. 2). Games worked fine the rest of the day, and I've never heard of the wrong write speed damaging a console.

Hello :)

Can you please tell us which PlayStaiton Modell you have ?
Did you get an Replacement Console or Mod Chip ?
Maybe the Chip Installation is not 100 Percent "accurate" / A Cable badly soldered......

Thank you.:)

Reactions: CaseyDog

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
It's a SCPH-9001 and it came premodded. I'll add those details to the original post.

You can check the Installation with this Diagrams from this Page if you like:
https://quade.co/ps1-modchip-guide/mm3/

Also of your Modchip is the correct Type:
  1. PIC12C508A
    1. MM3 PIC12C508A USA
    2. MM3 PIC12C508A EUR
    3. MM3 PIC12C508A JAP
  2. PIC12F629
    1. MM3 PIC12F629 USA (assembly source)
    2. MM3 PIC12F629 EUR (assembly source)
    3. MM3 PIC12F629 JAP (assembly source)
https://quade.co/ps1-modchip-guide/mm3/

Good Luck.

Thank you.:)

Reactions: CaseyDog

CaseyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be sure to go over this tomorrow, I'm getting a third one I forgot I ordered then and if that one continues to work I won't need to do any troubleshooting. Thanks for your help though, you're really friendly.

CaseyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: The same PS1 reads discs fine now. I guess it's gonna be an on and off thing, hopefully it's not too frequent and I can just turn the thing on its side or whatever. I'll stick with it for now unless it outright breaks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock