Homebrew PPSSPP discussion and testing thread

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried a few roms that I had stored in my computer, the result of each game was the following:

-MegaMan Powered Up works perfectly

-FIFA 14 goes black after the auto-save warning, but the console does not freeze, until you try to exit to the menu when it freezes

-Peggle rarely starts, usually freezes when you start, or when the game has to load the pegs, it's a little demanding game

-Burnout Paradise starts well, but freezes after a few seconds, also presents some lag

-Def Jam Fight For NY The Takeover gives error message, but pressing any key returns to the Homebrew Launcher, does not crash the console

-DISSIDIA Final Fantasy works perfectly, although sometimes it may show an error before starting a battle, or crashing during a battle

NOTE: The configurations were not modified, the ones that come by default were used, games were tested in the first build

During these days I will be testing more roms as possible and I will comment here the results

You haven't had any luck running Star Ocean 1 or 2, have you?

Reactions: CloudMcFox

CloudMcFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firmware: 5.5.1
SD type and Class: SDHC Class 10
Homebrew launcher version: 1.4
Emulator version: v1.5.4-998-g08f26439c
Game: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Non default settings: Frameskip 1, Alternate speeds at 105 (you can switch to this by clicking right analog nub when frames drop)
Issues observed: Loading from USB causes occasional freezes, so play from SD card. Lighting is displayed horribly wrong, game is playable with a few 20 second freezes here and there (probably loading textures) but make sure you download the bigger data pack and don't run the game from USB or else it freezes for long periods every 2 minutes of play.

Firmware: 5.5.1
SD type and Class: SDHC Class 10
Homebrew launcher version: 1.4
Emulator version: v1.5.4-998-g08f26439c
Game: Darius Burst (J)
Non default settings: Frameskip 1, Alternate speeds at 101 (you can switch to this by clicking right analog nub for smoother gameplay)
Issues observed: Loading from USB causes occasional freezes, so play from SD card. Lags if displayed at other than x1 (PSP) view. Other than that works very well.

Last edited by Maxbeta,

CloudMcFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I tried them earlier and I wonder if my dumps are bad, because I got to the title screen, but it locked up but yeah, let me know :P

Star Ocean works, but it has graphic errors, and the character that you control (Rodrick) can not be seen on the screen, instead, in Star Ocean 2, it also has graphic errors and sometimes gives an error, but it does not crash the console, even so, it is completely playable and the character you control can be seen on the screen.
I used the latest build of the emulator.

Tried it too, but had strange graphical issues and the game was slow. Used the PAL version

Try removing the audio, it could work a little faster

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Star Ocean works, but it has graphic errors, and the character that you control (Rodrick) can not be seen on the screen, instead, in Star Ocean 2, it also has graphic errors and sometimes gives an error, but it does not crash the console, even so, it is completely playable and the character you control can be seen on the screen.
I used the latest build of the emulator.

Try removing the audio, it could work a little faster

Hmm, glad you got the games working, at least, in a bootable state, thanks for testing, I'll try them later too :P Maybe they crashed for me because I'm playing the Japanese undub versions.

CloudMcFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hmm, glad you got the games working, at least, in a bootable state, thanks for testing, I'll try them later too :P Maybe they crashed for me because I'm playing the Japanese undub versions.

Try dumping the ISO again, also try using the latest build

I'm looking for the right configuration for Star Ocean 1 to be playable

Osakasan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok guys this is getting stupid. Stop

EDIT: Oooops, i posted very late. Sorry

In any case, let me make a clarification

They are providing a great service so they feel they can be rude to everyone for no reason.

I didn't ask for any features I thought we could over clock I feature we already have.

No one here feels entitle to be rude because he's providing a great service. Hell, no one here is providing a great service outside of the homebrew developers, but that's exactly what i'm going to talk about.

The Wii U homebrew scene is small, and the amount of developers working on it is scarce, so the guys/girls working on it must have one hell of a motivation to do it, and if they ever get tired, i/we want them to get tired only because of themselves, not because users feel entitled to whatever features they want. You know, it wouldn't be the first emulator to be cancelled because someone pissed off the developers, and that is something i absolutely don't want.

While @the_randomizer has been rude, he's right too. Before asking about any feature, we should

• Help ironing compatibility issues, wich is the secondary reason of this thread existence
  • Wait until it becomes one of the developer's priorities (We don't know if it is already)
Until then, this is really what we have, and tbqh i think we should be grateful for it. Before this getting leaked we didn't even hope for something higher than PSX (and we expected to wait A LOT for it)

Also, about the links, i can't do anything (I'll add my own mirror to the last version later. Sorry, these days are being crazy) but i can't help but wonder if @aliaspider has decided to cut the downloads short. If he did, it's alright, i get the feeling this wasn't ready to be released at all.

Last edited by Osakasan,

Deleted member 424658

Annoying Weaboo Girl
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
No one here feels entitle to be rude because he's providing a great service. Hell, no one here is providing a great service outside of the homebrew developers, but that's exactly what i'm going to talk about.
No one's being rude to the developers, they're literally just stating things like "Oh I wish it had this feature" but they're not even tagging the developer in anyway (outside of my one question to the dev).
The Wii U homebrew scene is small, and the amount of developers working on it is scarce, so the guys/girls working on it must have one hell of a motivation to do it, and if they ever get tired, i/we want them to get tired only because of themselves, not because users feel entitled to whatever features they want. You know, it wouldn't be the first emulator to be cancelled because someone pissed off the developers, and that is something i absolutely don't want.
No one's being entitled. I've read just about every post on this thread and no one's acting like "I hate dev for not having this feature!"
Also, if the dev didn't want people to know about it, then why publish it to github in the first place? They could easily work on it completely on their computer and then publish it when it was finished. I've been doing partial development a couple months and only publishing to github when I felt something was done or that it justified being put there.
While @the_randomizer has been rude, he's right too. Before asking about any feature, we should

• Help ironing compatibility issues, wich is the secondary reason of this thread existence
  • Wait until it becomes one of the developer's priorities (We don't know if it is already)
Until then, this is really what we have, and tbqh i think we should be grateful for it. Before this getting leaked we didn't even hope for something higher than PSX (and we expected to wait A LOT for it)
People are helping out with testing games for compatibility, and if the feature asked about isn't one of the dev's priorities then it'll be out when it is. No one's bugging the dev about missing features anyway.

Edit: Also I have updated my Ape Escape post as I have now finished the game!
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ppsspp-discussion-and-testing-thread.505602/page-9#post-8019488

Last edited by Deleted member 424658, , Reason: Add link to Compatibility Post for Ape Escape - On the Loose.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does it fix the washed out textures/lighting in Sonic Rivals 2?
Nah, still seems too bright. but the speed increase is welcome :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Firmware: 5.5.2 (CBHC)
SD type and Class: SanDisk Ultra SDHC1 Class 10
PPSSPP Version: v1.2.4-998-g08f26439c
Homebrew launcher version: 2.1
Game: Secret Agent Clank
Non default settings: Set frame skip to 1
Issues observed: Slightly slow

Firmware: 5.5.2 (CBHC)
SD type and Class: SanDisk Ultra SDHC1 Class 10
PPSSPP Version: v1.2.4-998-g08f26439c
Homebrew launcher version: 2.1