Power at a great price - ROG Ally early impressions

al4.jpg

I haven't been quiet in my excitement for the ROG Ally since it was announced back in April. A powerful and feature-packed Windows handheld at a price that actually stands a chance at pulling people away from the Steam Deck? What's not to like? With the device having released just yesterday, we now have it in our hands. Does it live up to the hype?

To just be up front, this isn't going to be a full breakdown or a review; I've only had the Ally for a day after all. What I did want to do though is get a few quick impressions onto paper, and also ask exactly what you as a member of the community would be interested in knowing for the full review when it's written in the next week or two.

But with that out of the way, first impressions? Very good, but not quite perfect. The unboxing experience is about what you'd expect from a premium ASUS product. It's clean, and there's really no frills. You get your device, you get a 65W charger, and you get a paper stand for the system. The charger is fine, though it is a little bulky compared to offerings from other competitors in the space. The Steam Deck's charger was a hard-wired USB C plug running at 45W, and the AYANEO 2 I have on hand came with a really compact 65W GaN plug that could be adapted to any region. The ASUS charger isn't huge, but the fact it's got a charging brick at all makes it inferior. The paper stand is surprisingly sturdy, and I do like its inclusion a lot. It's not going to last forever, but it's a great way to prop the device up while docked while you figure out the accessories you'll buy for the long run. It being made of paper makes it entirely recyclable, so when you do upgrade you don't have to feel so bad getting rid. A good move.

al1.jpg

The star of the show is obviously going to be the device itself, and boy does it shine. In terms of size, you're looking at a slightly smaller footprint than the Steam Deck with a very different ergonomic feel. The plastic used for the Ally feels incredibly nice in-hand, and reminds me of an Xbox Series controller with the dotted-textured back. I won't go into too much detail on every component, but a real standout to me was the D-Pad, and I really wasn't expecting it to be. From the images I really do think it looks awful. It looks glossy, cheap, and plasticky, and it looks like it'd be a mushy mess. It's just really nice. While it doesn't have the click I'm fond of in the Xbox Series controllers (I know not everybody enjoys this though!), you get a decent bump for each direction and it does feel satisfying.

There's not much I really want to fault on the hardware side of things, but even after a plethora of updates leading up to launch, the software could still use a little work. Now at its core, this is a Windows 11 PC with a nice controller strapped to it. This might be a controversial opinion, but I really do think Windows 11 is fine on this kind of handheld. I enjoyed it on the AYANEO 2 and thus far, I really have enjoyed it here. It lacks the instant accessibility of something like SteamOS, and I can certainly understand people being turned off by the additional steps that might be required to get things going. To me though it's just familiar and I know exactly what it can do and how to do it, having used Windows for the majority of my life. To me it's in ASUS' own software, Armoury Crate SE, where I want to see some improvement.

al5.jpg al6.jpg

At the moment I would say it's functional, but it's not of a standard I would expect from a company like ASUS. I like that it provides a simple and unified interface for people to quickly get to games, bringing Windows closer to that simple gaming experience people do genuinely want. I like that it gives you easy access to the settings most important to gaming. I like that it can be pulled up quickly and seamlessly using dedicated buttons. On paper it has all the trademarks of good software, but it just feels a little half-baked. You have small issues that add up. You can't save the order of your games, the controller will sometimes decide to jump multiple tiles at a time, it doesn't have any kind of dock-optimised mode. It's fine, and feature-wise, it really isn't all that different to AYA Space that's loaded onto AYANEO systems. I just have higher standards of ASUS, and I hope in time the software develops to a point where it meets them. Nothing it does makes the device unusable, but it certainly could be better.

al3.jpg

Quirks aside though, can the Ally really play all your games as the promotional materials advertise? Well it'll certainly have a good crack at it. With me unfortunately having a job to attend to I've not been able to throw a lot of time into trying games just yet, but I was incredibly happy to see Monster Hunter Rise running at 1080p Medium settings at around 90fps while plugged in on Turbo mode. The game looked glorious and felt incredible to play, and I pushed that further to around 70fps at 4K High settings when plugged into the 3080 XG Mobile unit I have handy. The only other game I've put time into so far is MapleStory, and it should be no surprise that a 2D MMO runs well. Having said that, it's a game that doesn't work on SteamOS likely due to its anti-cheat, so it's something I'm really going to enjoy.

I'm really happy with the Ally so far, but there's an incredible amount yet to try. Our full review will be looking at battery, performance modes, long-term comfort, compatibility, emulation, SSD upgrading, and various other things I feel are notable as they come up. You can feel secure in knowing I'll be looking at some of the more demanding Switch titles amongst other things, but if there's something you really want me to look at, I'll try my best to include it where possible.

al2.jpg

You can look forward to a separate post about this particular pairing in the near future...

Did you pick up the ROG Ally? Are you on the fence, a proud Steam Deck owner, or just not interested in the handheld space? Let us know your thoughts.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I almost ordered an Ally, but the performance/price difference vs the Steam Deck just isn't worth it for me. A lot of the games I'd play have like maybe a 10-15% boost in FPS with only slightly higher settings, which just isn't enough to justify the extra ~$300 I'd be spending over my Steam Deck.

Still, nice to see something from a big manufacturer with an actually decent price point. If you don't already have a Steam Deck and have the extra cash to spend, this would definitely be a good option to consider.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Seems like a good alternative for anybody who wants Windows installed out of the box and no trackpads, though I'm not sure I want to meet that masochist. :P

I'm also not sure the price difference is really worth it unless you care mostly about docked performance, Steam Deck performs better at mid-range wattages (6-10w). So I'd probably recommend Steam Deck for something closer to a true "portable" experience, and Ally for a reasonably-priced desktop replacement if you're in need of one.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems like a good alternative for anybody who wants Windows installed out of the box and no trackpads, though I'm not sure I want to meet that masochist. :P
I'm not sure I'd call myself a masochist but you did just describe me lol

Kevbo

Professional Dumbass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks really cool and all but the Steam Deck seems to really get price vs performance and I can't think of many instances where the Rog Ally could benefit me. Still really cool for people who want a powerful ass handheld.

Reactions: Roxas420 and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure I'd call myself a masochist but you did just describe me lol
I think if ASUS had collaborated with Valve to make Ally dual-boot and fully compatible with SteamOS out of the box, it would be universally praised as the better device. Unfortunately that's the type of thing I think Valve would be happy to do, but ASUS not so much.

C'est la vie. Microsoft is supposedly working on a more user-friendly interface for portable PCs, but they've failed at similar ventures in the past.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think if ASUS had collaborated with Valve to make Ally dual-boot and fully compatible with SteamOS out of the box, it would be universally praised as the better device. Unfortunately that's the type of thing I think Valve would be happy to do, but ASUS not so much.

C'est la vie. Microsoft is supposedly working on a more user-friendly interface for portable PCs, but they've failed at similar ventures in the past.
Having owned my fair share of Windows tablets starting with the Surface RT, I can at least attest to how far Windows has come in terms of touch navigation and optimisation. I get it's a small thing to point out, but even the keyboard in Windows 11 is a leap from what we had before.

With a bit of setup with something like Rainmeter, you can create a really pleasant desktop environment that looks and performs exactly as you'd want. I like that flexibility from Windows. Having said that, why Microsoft haven't just ported like, the Xbox UI to PC I'll never know. I imagine it'd make Game Pass more appealing to people on PC.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Scarlet
So? Decent pictures of the paper stand, dammit!
You sing praises and then leave us hangin'?
What gives?
My phone apparently doesn't want to focus at the moment, so I have to unfortunately fall back to the stock image. You get a decent idea of it there though, it is a nice little extra.

1686784593787.png

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I probably would have gotten this one, but I preordered the Loki Max.

Before you go "Ohhhh, you're getting ripped off!!!", I got it at the cheaper $650, and I prefer the much smaller form factor. The performance gap really won't be that big of a difference for what I want to use it for as well.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with your thoughts! Here is my write up on it:

Only about an hour of actual playing around with it (due to the long setup process), but here's my thoughts so far. Pretty much lines up with most of the things I've seen/read:
The Ally feels slightly lighter than the Steam Deck
The Ally feels cooler in my hands than the Steam Deck (heat is being blown out the top exhaust)
The Ally screen is nicer to look at than the Steam Deck
The Ally fans seem about the same as the Steam Deck, but everyone says it's quieter
The Ally battery is slightly worse. Ran a test between them (same game, same settings, just had it sitting idle). Results are below, as well as a screen shot for one of the tests I saw in a review
After the finicky initial setup, having Windows running is fine since you really work out of the ASUS software anyway (or Steam Big Picture Mode if you prefer)
I didn't spend much time, but you could clean up windows apps/processes to help optimize it which, in theory, would help with battery and performance
You can get very granular with the settings in the ASUS software to customize all sorts of things
Having Windows is an advantage as a few games I've played that were problematic on the Steam Deck, had no problems with the Ally
I do not like the trackpads that the Steam Deck has. I don't ever use them, and they are often something I hit by mistake
I do really appreciate the 'console' like of the Steam Deck THOUGH you can almost get there with the Ally
The slightly better battery life of the Steam Deck is nice
I'll never play a game at 120 Hz on the Ally
I immediately turned off the RGB on the Ally

I'll spend more time with it this weekend, but so far it does seem like the better handheld with some minor *

Steam Deck        ASUS ROG Ally
Start - 100%       Start - 100%
10 min - 96%       10 min - 96%
20 min - 94%       20 min - 90%
image.png

UPDATE 6/16
I had a little more time to play with the ASUS ROG Ally, so I have my second and final thoughts.
  • The ASUS speakers are better than the Steam Deck, but this doesn't mean much to me as I wear headphones whenever I'm playing on a handheld.
  • The battery difference is a non-factor to me. The Deck is better, but not by enough to deter me away from it.
  • The last point, and the deal breaker for me, is the standby/sleep feature. The Switch and Steam Deck have this down, and honestly a necessity for me. The ASUS, due to Windows 11, has issues with it. It DOES work, sometimes, but even then, it's janky on both the powering down and back on.
Ultimately, I REALLY like the ASUS ROG Ally. I think there is a lot of protentional, but the fact that I can't press the power button and walk away (with confidence) really kills it for me.

I'm going to be returning the ASUS and keeping my Steam Deck and anxiously waiting for the Steam Deck 2 to upgrade.

Last edited by gamecaptor,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What with the SteamDeck and now this offering from Asus I think Nintendont and their puny Switch are in trouble, no wonder they are going after Switch Emulators with a vengeance.
I own a Steam Deck and a Switch. Nintendo is fine, these handhelds pose little threat to Nintendo, and they know it. Their exclusives will always carry them.

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Very unfortunate, that all of the handheld PCs, besides the Steam Deck, are useless as portable handheld devices, because they run a garbage OS that doesn't support quick suspend and quick resume, and therefore renders the core USP of those devices obsolete.

I hope M$ brings the quick suspend and quick resume to Windows at some point, like it works on the Xbox modified version of Windows.

Until then, Steam Deck has no competition.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im the black sheep I’ll get none of them. With all the remote play and game pad extensions for your phone I don’t see how/why it’s relevant.

Let’s not forget these devices have low battery life when on the go. You’re lucky to get 3 hours.

Don’t get me wrong the idea sounds nice but for the price points of both devices I rather get a next gen console or a gaming laptop

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto