Possible way to run gamecube games via USB Loader

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by retrogamermatt, Mar 17, 2010.

1. retrogamermatt
    OP

Member retrogamermatt GBAtemp Regular

Australia

2. Szalkow

Member Szalkow RawkSD Cheerleader

United States
    It's been discussed a few times before. The general consensus is that, yes, USB libraries could be theoretically added to the MIOS, but at present no one really seems interested in working on it because it would take a while to figure out. A lot of time and a lot of work for an older system doesn't seem very appealing when multi-IOS disc loading works fine so far.

3. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
  4. nitrostemp

Member nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    SDGECKO BUY ONE NUB CAKE

5. retrogamermatt
    OP

Australia
  6. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    From what I've been told, it's because GCN games don't go through IOS to access the hardware, they can talk directly to the disc drive, memory card slot, controller, etc. MIOS loads the main.dol upon startup but doesn't have a say in what goes on with the hardware after that. You can't patch it to redirect DI commands from the disc drive to USB since it's not involved in the process at all, unlike Wii games and IOS.

7. retrogamermatt
    OP

Australia
  8. OzModChips

Member OzModChips GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    buy a wode [​IMG]

9. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    That is true, however it's not the end of the story.

If it were then streaming games over a broadband adapter and loading them from a sdgecko wouldn't be possible.
    You can scan memory for DI accesses and patch them. So as long as you can get PPC to communicate with starlet in GC mode, then it's perfectly doable.

Redirecting controllers and memory cards would also be technically possible in the same way.

smf

10. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Wrong ... next.

11. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    Hopefully the next SNEEK Version should support disk loading.

12. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Of course it can be done, people on GBATemp love saying something can't be done if it hasn't been done. I mean go ahead and look at GBA eventually being emulated on DS. Everyone with their "CANT BE DONE!!", well NeoGeo shouldn't have technically been able to be emulated on DS either, but it WAS.

13. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Everything can be done, its just a mather of time and skills.

14. carbonyle

Member carbonyle GBAtemp Fan

Switzerland
    this kind of thread should not exist anymore: each time i log on GBAtemp I saw a new topic like this one.... for fuck sake there is a search engine

I don't think a SDGecko is the best way, WODE (and others newest modchip like sunkey drive or something like that (and the other ugly one wich is an extended microSD slot) are better alternative

15. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    WODE doesn't play the the audio streams, so it's not a very good alternative. And the 3x speed the wii runs backup discs at is the same speed GC games are played.

16. It'sLuigi64

Newcomer It'sLuigi64 Member

Canada
    hmmm but i remember seeing a video of a game cube game running in wii mode! so:P that means that usb ports remain open, more power, sd cards open and if the hackers want to get really fancy NETPLAY!!! well here is the video i saw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlzVpo5IPdM
    also um i thinking of getting a sd gecko but how do i use this? i just put the sd boot file in the sd card in the sd gecko? um if some knows how to use this please reply lol

17. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Er, well, if that's even possible, that's the incredibly difficult part. You might make it sound easy, but if it were, it would have been done a long time ago. Besides, since we don't know if what you're stating is even possible, it's just idle conjecture anyway.

18. toejam316

Member toejam316 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    lol'd.
    It totally isn't aided by the 400MHz CPU that is contained in the iPlayer. Not at all.

As for the on the fly patching idea, it is quite possible, and is (very roughly) how the current disc loader works.
    It patches all the read commands in the dol so that they allow reading from a DVD, not a gamecube disc. Of course, patching it to read from USB would be so much more difficult, as it wouldn't just be changing some code to point to USB, it'd be implementing ways to access USB in gamecube mode without additional hardware, doing so without affecting the hardware usage, etc.

If you want USB Loading for gamecube games, the WODE is your only option. It may not be 100% (like WiiPower mentioned) but it WILL work, and that's better then what we've got.

19. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States
    Pure Genius! Can you tell us how to run ps3 games on wii from an external bluray drive next?

20. DarkChili

Newcomer DarkChili Advanced Member

United States
    WODE doesn't whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]