Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's been discussed a few times before. The general consensus is that, yes, USB libraries could be theoretically added to the MIOS, but at present no one really seems interested in working on it because it would take a while to figure out. A lot of time and a lot of work for an older system doesn't seem very appealing when multi-IOS disc loading works fine so far.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've been told, it's because GCN games don't go through IOS to access the hardware, they can talk directly to the disc drive, memory card slot, controller, etc. MIOS loads the main.dol upon startup but doesn't have a say in what goes on with the hardware after that. You can't patch it to redirect DI commands from the disc drive to USB since it's not involved in the process at all, unlike Wii games and IOS.

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
buy a wode
smile.gif

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FenrirWolf said:
From what I've been told, it's because GCN games don't go through IOS to access the hardware, they can talk directly to the disc drive, memory card slot, controller, etc. MIOS loads the main.dol upon startup but doesn't have a say in what goes on with the hardware after that. You can't patch it to redirect DI commands from the disc drive to USB since it's not involved in the process at all, unlike Wii games and IOS.

That is true, however it's not the end of the story.

If it were then streaming games over a broadband adapter and loading them from a sdgecko wouldn't be possible.
You can scan memory for DI accesses and patch them. So as long as you can get PPC to communicate with starlet in GC mode, then it's perfectly doable.

Redirecting controllers and memory cards would also be technically possible in the same way.

smf

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course it can be done, people on GBATemp love saying something can't be done if it hasn't been done. I mean go ahead and look at GBA eventually being emulated on DS. Everyone with their "CANT BE DONE!!", well NeoGeo shouldn't have technically been able to be emulated on DS either, but it WAS.

carbonyle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
this kind of thread should not exist anymore: each time i log on GBAtemp I saw a new topic like this one.... for fuck sake there is a search engine

I don't think a SDGecko is the best way, WODE (and others newest modchip like sunkey drive or something like that (and the other ugly one wich is an extended microSD slot) are better alternative

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
carbonyle said:
this kind of thread should not exist anymore: each time i log on GBAtemp I saw a new topic like this one.... for fuck sake there is a search engine

I don't think a SDGecko is the best way, WODE (and others newest modchip like sunkey drive or something like that (and the other ugly one wich is an extended microSD slot) are better alternative

WODE doesn't play the the audio streams, so it's not a very good alternative. And the 3x speed the wii runs backup discs at is the same speed GC games are played.

It'sLuigi64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hmmm but i remember seeing a video of a game cube game running in wii mode! so:P that means that usb ports remain open, more power, sd cards open and if the hackers want to get really fancy NETPLAY!!! well here is the video i saw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlzVpo5IPdM
also um i thinking of getting a sd gecko but how do i use this? i just put the sd boot file in the sd card in the sd gecko? um if some knows how to use this please reply lol

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
smf said:
FenrirWolf said:

That is true, however it's not the end of the story.

If it were then streaming games over a broadband adapter and loading them from a sdgecko wouldn't be possible.
You can scan memory for DI accesses and patch them. So as long as you can get PPC to communicate with starlet in GC mode, then it's perfectly doable.

Redirecting controllers and memory cards would also be technically possible in the same way.

smf

Er, well, if that's even possible, that's the incredibly difficult part. You might make it sound easy, but if it were, it would have been done a long time ago. Besides, since we don't know if what you're stating is even possible, it's just idle conjecture anyway.

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Pyrofyr said:
Of course it can be done, people on GBATemp love saying something can't be done if it hasn't been done. I mean go ahead and look at GBA eventually being emulated on DS. Everyone with their "CANT BE DONE!!", well NeoGeo shouldn't have technically been able to be emulated on DS either, but it WAS.
lol'd.
It totally isn't aided by the 400MHz CPU that is contained in the iPlayer. Not at all.

As for the on the fly patching idea, it is quite possible, and is (very roughly) how the current disc loader works.
It patches all the read commands in the dol so that they allow reading from a DVD, not a gamecube disc. Of course, patching it to read from USB would be so much more difficult, as it wouldn't just be changing some code to point to USB, it'd be implementing ways to access USB in gamecube mode without additional hardware, doing so without affecting the hardware usage, etc.

If you want USB Loading for gamecube games, the WODE is your only option. It may not be 100% (like WiiPower mentioned) but it WILL work, and that's better then what we've got.

DarkChili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
carbonyle said:

WODE doesn't play the the audio streams, so it's not a very good alternative. And the 3x speed the wii runs backup discs at is the same speed GC games are played.
WODE doesn't whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!
blink.gif
wacko.gif
blink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Pepsi owns Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut, so that made since Pizza hut pizza was sold in Taco bells.