Hacking Possible way to prevent Gateway Brick Code?

Runehasa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is extremely simplistic but since the code is supposedly triggered by date wouldnt it be a valid workaround for now just to set out 3DS's back to 2011-2012? I say this because mine has always been set to 2012 so I can add a day here and there to reset my step counter and I haven't had any issues. I am using unmodified gateway software and legit card but with reports of it actually effecting legit users too this may be a solution?

D

Deleted User

Use 2.0b1 if you are scared, there has been no reports of bricking with that one. And the ones that report bricking on 2.0b2 are just clone shills, so you have nothing to be worried about really

Reactions: Kupie

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Use 2.0b1 if you are scared, there has been no reports of bricking with that one. And the ones that report bricking on 2.0b2 are just clone shills, so you have nothing to be worried about really

Except we just had one today with legit GW card having his 3DS bricked.

Green Cat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I know this is extremely simplistic but since the code is supposedly triggered by date wouldnt it be a valid workaround for now just to set out 3DS's back to 2011-2012? I say this because mine has always been set to 2012 so I can add a day here and there to reset my step counter and I haven't had any issues. I am using unmodified gateway software and legit card but with reports of it actually effecting legit users too this may be a solution?

That wouldn't work. The code is *not* checking the date, it is a random number generator and those are often (as in this case) seeded by the date, so there will be another datetime which will lead to the exact same random number needed to brick.

Reactions: Arras

Runehasa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm ok. I would hate to revert to an earlier version and lose the e-shop again and the stability. Sucks that it has to come to this. Fyi i posted this in another thread but thought id add it here too. This was gateways response to me this morning

2zo95e1.png

Reactions: ryanmg

temp1312

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe more:

OK, Let's shelve the argument of "moral behavior or not" for now and agian, let's just focus on one thing:

Is that 100% safe to use a GW card with unmodified launcher?

Here are two instances from GW bricking reports:

1) BSOD after using Data Management in EmuNAND
http://gbatemp.net/threads/bricked-3ds-xl-help.360464/

2) BSOD after couple hours of sleep mode
http://bbs.tgbus.com/thread-5360192-1-1.html
*As far as I know, the sleep mode bricking thing even happens with retail cards, but the difference is, sleep mode brick usualy causes a "semi-brick": can boot, can show the poweroff screen, but can't play games etc. not a BSOD.

So my question is:

What code have instances above triggered? GW bricker code? Native OS code??
(If there is no bricker code at all will they still get bricked??)​

ryanmg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm ok. I would hate to revert to an earlier version and lose the e-shop again and the stability. Sucks that it has to come to this. Fyi i posted this in another thread but thought id add it here too. This was gateways response to me this morning

2zo95e1.png

If what they say is true. Them replacing the ds is actually kinda cool.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

2zo95e1.png
If the can replace the gateway user's 3ds with a new one having 4.5 fw, then that'll be good news.

BigGamerz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would you degrade to a lower version? I tried doing it before until it stopped working and it turned out that my card was defective.

I just want to be safe in degrading again but I'm not sure, if that might be what caused the card to become like that in the first place.

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How would you degrade to a lower version? I tried doing it before until it stopped working and it turned out that my card was defective.

I just want to be safe in degrading again but I'm not sure, if that might be what caused the card to become like that in the first place.

downgrade what, the launcher.dat?............................sudeki300

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E