Gaming Possible to mod the controls of DK Barrel Blast to be played with Bongo controller?

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just thought of this, if you're not aware, DK Barrel Blast was originally designed with the Bongo controller in mind, and everything about the game obviously reflects that, though ultimately they made it a wiimote motion control game instead.

I'm curious since the Wii has access to Gaemcube controllers, could the game be modded in anyway to instead play with the Bongos as originally planned.

Here are the in game controls as they stand now and what they could be

Accelerate Shake the
17px-Wiimote_Icon.png
and
13px-Nunchuck_Icon.png
could be changed to pounding left and then right bongos over and over
Steer Shake the
17px-Wiimote_Icon.png
to go right and the
13px-Nunchuck_Icon.png
to go left could be changed to just pounding the left bongo to go left, and just pounding the right to go right
Jump Raise the
17px-Wiimote_Icon.png
and
13px-Nunchuck_Icon.png
simultaneously. could be changed to hitting both the left and right bongos at the same time
Attack Press
16px-Wiimote_A.png
could be changed to a clap
Use item Press
19px-Nunchuk_Z.png
/
12px-Wiimote_B.png
could be changed to the start button on the Bongos
Charge a Wild Move Tilt the
17px-Nunchuck_Annalogstick.png
in any direction. The charge can be canceled by jumping or using an item Not sure what could be mapped here, perhaps just holding down the left or right bongo
Use a Wild Move Release the
17px-Nunchuck_Annalogstick.png
also not sure what could be mapped here, but if we follow my example, once you glow from charging your wild move, you could release the bongo you're holding down
Pause / Resume
16px-Wiimote_Plus.png
with the lack of enough buttons, this could go unmapped, just have someone with a wiimote hit home if they want to pause.

Last edited by duffmmann,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The point in a commercial way is that not all Wii's are backwards compatible, and those who don't own one, would not be interested on buying the game. Also, it was "updated" into using the new controller that was available by then, so it makes sense (in a sadly manner) to drop compatibility for the Bongo's, which are only compatible with three NGC games and makes less possible that, that many people had one to play on Wii.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had just dug out my old Bongos and was playing Jungle Beat on my Wii U when I remembered this game, and was thinking a similar thing, so I looked it up and only really found this post, could such a mod be done? I've seen controller mods for Wii games before like DKCR remapping the motion controls to buttons on the classic controller. This seems feasible, and it'd definitely be neat to see the game play close to how they originally intended it. But I have no idea what I'd be doing, is there anyone out there that would consider tackling such an obscure challenge?

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The point in a commercial way is that not all Wii's are backwards compatible, and those who don't own one, would not be interested on buying the game. Also, it was "updated" into using the new controller that was available by then, so it makes sense (in a sadly manner) to drop compatibility for the Bongo's, which are only compatible with three NGC games and makes less possible that, that many people had one to play on Wii.

When the game was originally released, 100% of all Wiis ever made had Gamecube ports. And everyone who had invested in the DK Bongos would have had an incentive to upgrade to a Wii and buy this game. It was inexcusable that Nintendo released this game - which features the DK Bongos in the graphics - without Bongos support. I'm sure it was a mandate from the top that everything had to support the Wiimote since it was their singular selling point, but they still could have given players the Bongos as an option. It was a real slap in the face to those who bough Nintendo's peripheral and one that just looks silly now.

Unfortunately it is very unlikely we'll ever get to play this game the way it was intended unless a copy with those controls leaks or if someone on the Dolphin team makes a hack specifically for it.

Last edited by ChibiMofo,

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'm not hyped for it (I think Wiimote+Nunchuk work just fine) but releasing the stick could be mapped to holding the start button, while items could be activated by pressing start twice.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not hyped for it (I think Wiimote+Nunchuk work just fine) but releasing the stick could be mapped to holding the start button, while items could be activated by pressing start twice.

It's not about the Wiimote+Nunchuck not being a viable option (yes, they totally are, no argument there), it's just about trying to re-implement the original controls as they had intended before moving the game to the Wii, and experiencing what the game was how they had initially planned to give it to us.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eo3Bh06drc