Homebrew Possible to make DS VC games connect to an actual DS for multiplayer?

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about Wii U hacking lately and the possibilities not yet realized on the device. And this one really kinda makes me scratch my head why it wasn't implemented to begin with, the Wii/vWii can connect to a DS, and the Wii U can connect to a 3DS, which I assume means it could connect to a DS as well without being in vWii mode. This being the case, why didn't they allow for any DS VC game to be able to connect to a DS (or 3DS in DS mode), for multiplayer games? I would think this should have been totally feasible, yet it's just not there.

Having said that, would it be possible for modders in the scene that know what they're doing to implement such a feature, or is this just completely outside of the bounds of what could realistically be done in Wii U hacking?

Reactions: Moon164

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The DS local network protocol, usually dubbed nifi (basically a headerless wifi, see wifime for a slight discussion), is an odd one but if it can do it over vWii then it is within reason.
Someone would either get to write their own DS emulator with it for the Wii U or hack in support for it in the existing one which is probably easier said than done (there is a reason PC emulators took a long time to get anything like it and hacking it into something is not an easy step either unless there is some kind of easy pass through option).

Whether anybody will is a different matter; other than the occasional burst of enthusiasm from someone just discovering it then Wii U homebrew never really took off and is unlikely to at this point.

Reactions: fmhugo and E1ite007

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
this will never work, first the nintendo DS VC has no multiplayer coded in and we cant modify the emulator since we have no source code, which means someone would need to write a totaly new emulator for ds on wiiu and i dont see that happening ever lol we cant even get ps1 on wiiu let alone ds.

Reactions: E1ite007

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The original developers of the DS emulator never bothered to support networking. Maybe the performance hit was unacceptable.

The hardware fully supports it - it has to, for backwards compatibility. It would have been a killer sell for DS VC games, but casual users might have asked "why can't I use download play I have no understanding of how your emulator works or why some multiboot roms might bork it"

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I always wondered if this was possible.

The Wii U is able to connect with the DS (and even the 3DS), if you used the Nintendo Channel you could send demos to the DS, if you played games that use the DS as some extra feature (like My Pokemon Ranch, Mii Channel, Batman: The Brave and the Bold and others ) you could use without problems.

So logically the Wii U (and Wii) are capable of that, but the problem is adding this to the emulator used in Virtual Console, it's probably not an easy job.

Sesaru

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about Wii U hacking lately and the possibilities not yet realized on the device. And this one really kinda makes me scratch my head why it wasn't implemented to begin with, the Wii/vWii can connect to a DS, and the Wii U can connect to a 3DS, which I assume means it could connect to a DS as well without being in vWii mode. This being the case, why didn't they allow for any DS VC game to be able to connect to a DS (or 3DS in DS mode), for multiplayer games? I would think this should have been totally feasible, yet it's just not there.

Having said that, would it be possible for modders in the scene that know what they're doing to implement such a feature, or is this just completely outside of the bounds of what could realistically be done in Wii U hacking?

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Echoes of Time: you can play this game in multiplayer by connecting the Wii with up to 3 NDSes. It's part of the game itself.

Setup:

- Wii + FFCC:EoT Wii game

- 1-3 NDS(es) + FFCC:EoT NDS game

Because of some limitations(?), in a multiplayer game, there can only be one Wii console and it must be the game host.

In this thread, they say that the Wii version of the game is a port of the NDS version: gbatemp.net/threads/ffcc-echoes-of-time-for-wii-runs-in-a-ds-emulator.620259/

So looking into this to enable Wii/WiiU + NDS multiplayer seems like a dead end, but I'm no expert so I wouldn't know.

I've played this before with a hacked Wii and now I want to try with a hacked WiiU; what I want is to be able to play the game in multiplayer AND to be able to use the gamepad's screen, but I'm not sure if it's possible and, if it is, what I would require to do.

Since Aroma is still relatively new, guides and FAQs are all over the place and some are simply outdated, so any help would be appreciated. As long as I'm redirected to the most recent guide/FAQ, I can take it from there.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Echoes of Time: you can play this game in multiplayer by connecting the Wii with up to 3 NDSes. It's part of the game itself.

Setup:

- Wii + FFCC:EoT Wii game

- 1-3 NDS(es) + FFCC:EoT NDS game

Because of some limitations(?), in a multiplayer game, there can only be one Wii console and it must be the game host.

In this thread, they say that the Wii version of the game is a port of the NDS version: gbatemp.net/threads/ffcc-echoes-of-time-for-wii-runs-in-a-ds-emulator.620259/

So looking into this to enable Wii/WiiU + NDS multiplayer seems like a dead end, but I'm no expert so I wouldn't know.

I've played this before with a hacked Wii and now I want to try with a hacked WiiU; what I want is to be able to play the game in multiplayer AND to be able to use the gamepad's screen, but I'm not sure if it's possible and, if it is, what I would require to do.

Since Aroma is still relatively new, guides and FAQs are all over the place and some are simply outdated, so any help would be appreciated. As long as I'm redirected to the most recent guide/FAQ, I can take it from there.
I think we'd need to look to direct WIi U to DS connectivity to get what we need here, as DS VC games run from the native Wii U side, not the vWii. Meanwhile, vWii connectivity with the DS is plentiful, not just Final Fantasy as you describe, but Pokemon Battle Revolution could link with your DS to use your Pokemon from the DS entries and to hide your moves that you select on the DS screen while battling locally and then the Nintendo channel would of course allow you to download DS demos to your DS.

Unfortunately though, I believe the Wii U natively from the Wii U side, only ever connected with the 3DS (for Sm4sh). I'm not sure if this functionality could be explored to connect a DS/the DS side of a 3DS. Heck, even if there was a Wii U game that natively connected with just a standard DS, we still would probably be missing the information needed to implement the feature to wirelessly connect for multiplayer DS experiences across a Wii U and actual DS/3DS systems.

Sesaru

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think we'd need to look to direct WIi U to DS connectivity to get what we need here, as DS VC games run from the native Wii U side, not the vWii. Meanwhile, vWii connectivity with the DS is plentiful, not just Final Fantasy as you describe, but Pokemon Battle Revolution could link with your DS to use your Pokemon from the DS entries and to hide your moves that you select on the DS screen while battling locally and then the Nintendo channel would of course allow you to download DS demos to your DS.

Unfortunately though, I believe the Wii U natively from the Wii U side, only ever connected with the 3DS (for Sm4sh). I'm not sure if this functionality could be explored to connect a DS/the DS side of a 3DS. Heck, even if there was a Wii U game that natively connected with just a standard DS, we still would probably be missing the information needed to implement the feature to wirelessly connect for multiplayer DS experiences across a Wii U and actual DS/3DS systems.
Indeed, the 3DS is used as a controller on Sm4sh, but I remember them saying at the beginning, when Sm4sh was still being worked on, that there was going to be connectivity between both versions of the game (WiiU and 3DS) and that multiplayer was going to be an option.

As we know, that option never came to be, but maybe the developers left some traces of it in both games.

Last edited by Sesaru,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol