Possible Star Ocean V News Soon

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Lurker2, Dec 7, 2012.

Dec 7, 2012
  1. Lurker2
    OP

Banned Lurker2 Banned!

United States
    Source
    After Final Fantasy went downhill I hope Star Ocean doesn't follow suit. Still I enjoyed the first three and haven't played The Last Hope so I have hope. Well here's to hoping.

Rasas likes this.
  2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I suggest you give up hope for The Last Hope, cause its shit and made me lose all hope of Star Ocean of ever being good.

Guild McCommunist and Taichi24 like this.
  3. Lurker2
    OP

Banned Lurker2 Banned!

United States
    Was it really that bad. I haven't played it yet so I don't really know.

Rasas likes this.
  4. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    It wasn't so much bad as... dull.

Lurker2 likes this.
  5. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    The Star Galaxy, countdown thing may just be for
    Star Ocean Mobile/Social game
    but i hope not

i like star ocean game

maybe
    Star Ocean hd collection, for the ps3 (1-3)
    hd updates for the psp remakes of 1 and 2, and a hd update of Star Ocean 3

or
    a New Star Ocean Game would be nice

SO4 saw not bad, but not as good as the other ones

Lurker2 and the_randomizer like this.
  6. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    /Start rant

Still had a better English translation than Star Ocean 2 for the PSX. I mean, what the crap is a "Parabora/Pair-a-bora beam" (Engrish)? I thought it was supposed to be "Parabola Beam". The Japanese voices made the voices somewhat less grating. but either version of Lymle's "I-want-to-tear-out-my-cochlea" voice made me want to scream.

/End rant

7. Crimson Lotus

Newcomer Crimson Lotus Metal

United States
    Considering I've only played 3 and 4 I'm at odds. I found 3 to be fantastic with character and story. 4 felt like an absolute mess. The characters were dull and uninspiring, it's as if they stuck their hands in a bag of anime cliches and pulled out whatever came out and mushed it all together. The only saving grace it had was combat. I'm not too hopeful for V if they plan on using anime cliches.

8. kupo3000

Member kupo3000 GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    S-E will probably screw Xbox360 users again like they did with The Last Hope.

9. Rockym

Member Rockym GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't understand why Last Hope gets so much hate, I loved the Last Hope, I thought it was a great jRPG and I really like the story as well. I have 1 and 2 on the PSP and 3 in my backlog. I for one hope we do get another Star Ocean soon.

10. Crimson Lotus

Newcomer Crimson Lotus Metal

United States
    I can't speak for everyone but I don't hate the game. I did put in over 100 hours but I've got a long list of grievances. The voice over was imbalanced. I did like a couple of them actually, but certain characters, when they opened their mouth I wanted to just choke the life out of them. It hurt my ears, almost physical pain (Sarah). I didn't like the cat girl either simply because it's a cat girl and they're everywhere in anime, it's close to the top of the barrel of cliche. On my second play-through, I renamed Edge as Gloomyturd. He does have some development in character and maturity, I will grant you that but there were far too many whiny moments for me to choke down. I wasn't expecting Dante badassery, you can throw in a pinch of whine here and there to make a point and build contrast but it was on every single planet at every third cameo. Again, another anime protagonist cliche. Myuria was all fan-service and I liked it. I'm guilty, I liked it! Still, I knew she was fan service so... it wasn't a selling point but I can't call it a detractor since... I liked it. That's a short summary of my complaints, they all have to do with the characters. The plot itself I found to be slightly above average. This is good in that I didn't dislike it but I wasn't entirely drooling over it. It worked and that's good enough. If the game had released 2 years earlier, I would have sang nothing but praise for it but it came out at the time I was getting tired watching the same anime in different "clothes" and much of the game reminded me of that.

11. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I wasted forty hours on TLH. I was telling myself it would get better but it didn't. I was actually close to finishing it.

12. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    The Last Hope had an awesome soundtrack (Motoi Sakuraba knows how to write music), and I liked the battle system, but the voice acting was absolutely atrocious. The Japanese acting actually had people, you know, acting and not unemotional whiny pinheads. The fact I understood most of the Japanese helped add to the story and the subtitles weren't perfectly translated, but that's to be expected.

13. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    I remember buying TLH at launch. I still regard it as the worst gaming decision I ever made. I don't really buy games on a whim, but I did that time.
    Realized why I never had bought a game without heavy research beforehand.

It's really boring. I didn't have a problem with the VAing...even Lymle. But just everything was...underwhelming, and I just could NOT let go that the combat system felt like a stripped and outdated version of the Tales battle system.

If they make SO5. They better get their shit together...and for the love of god, they better improve the combat.