Possible 4K Switch dock addon. Your thoughts about this?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Shadowehh, Dec 11, 2017.

?
  1. Yes, this should come to the Switch and will benefit from this.

42 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Yes, this should come to the Switch but might not benefit from it.

10 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. No, this should not come to the Switch but it might benefit from it.

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. No, this should not come to the Switch and will not benefit from it.

64 vote(s)
    48.1%
  5. Honestly I don't know, why are there so many questions here?

13 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Addict

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I don't think they really have any interest in "catching up" when they are making bank and are projected to outsell the competition.

KingVamp and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  2. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    4k is cool, but imo unless you are streaming videos its not necessary. And even then I'm perfectly happy with 1080p for videos.
    For gaming, 4k is all about show. All it is is eye candy. I (and many others according to how successful switch is) prefer the game experience rather than 4k. People who buy the switch are going into it understanding we won't get Uber-high-end graphics. And frankly most of us don't care. Most of us bought the switch for the hybrid aspect. It's one of the only ways to buy one game and get both a home console and portable console experience with it. Those who care about 4k should just get a pc or an xb1x.

DrkBeam and Bladexdsl like this.
  3. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    FIX'D :P

TheCyberQuake likes this.
  4. Shadowehh
    OP

Shadowehh Also known as Shadd

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Jeff The Killer's Bathroom
    First of all, this is a custom product (just like how arm creates custom products for solutions, Nintendo will create a custom-made GPU). Second of all, check out this video to see if you really can't play 4K on the Switch with a GTX 1060:

5. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Holy crap lol.

6. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    4k is overated, i prefer a 1080p with high fps with good antialiasing, light, shadows and effect than 4K
    so yeah an external gpu would be handy
    but the switch wouldn't support it, the transfer rate of its C port is too low to benefit from external gpu
    in brief, don't count on nintendo to do it :P

Last edited by Alkéryn, Dec 18, 2017
    TotalInsanity4 and Memoir like this.
  7. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    I do not care about 4k as long as 1080p is here.

Memoir likes this.
  8. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!

That's not how it works. You'd still have to have the CPU power to push proper 4k.. Which the Switch would be more than pushing it.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  9. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    I kinda don't want to get into the "issues" part. They can have a built-in CPU in it if so, but not all games would require massive CPU power to play 4K either because they work a little bit more different. The only thing I asked is if this is possible and would come to the community, would the community accept it and become a success like the switch or would it fail because the community didn't really want or need it.

10. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Depends on who you ask. I think we can all agree that 1080p/60 would be better.

11. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, but 4K looks amazing as well, not everyone has the same decision. Plus, some games might be able to play 4K 60fps because they don't require that much resource and videos with streaming services will definitively be able to output at 4K 60fps.

12. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    That's fine and all, but 4k is such a niche option. Also expensive, even for PC gamers. One step at a time imo.

13. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Some Switch games can't even run at 720p or 1080p much less at 4K. Just be happy with what you got or play on PS4/PC/XO.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  14. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    4K is becoming more inexpensive nowadays (if you are talking about a TV or monitor). Ever since the oneX's boom for 4K 60fps games for a very low price of $600 with a blue-ray player built in, maybe the Switch should join into the party. Usually, to get all of these things as a PC gamer, it would cost you about $800 minimum if the parts are used. The oneX has brand new parts so it would be almost impossible to get a deal like that.

15. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Are you hew here? Gamers these days want more. They have such unreasonable and unrealistic expectations for how games should feel and look. 4k/60fps with ultra textures or bust..

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Here's the thing. The One X was DESIGNED for 4k gaming, and is still limited. A Switch dock won't change how weak the CPU is.

DrkBeam likes this.
  16. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    The "addon" can fit right into the dock, just like how I showed that "an external device" was a planned thing, it would work out especially because of how the ports are set up. Also, all the Switch games are built lower end to play on the Switch.

17. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    ... And upping the resolution would only serve to pronounce the bad graphics. If not make them worse.

If the games aren't designed with 4k in mind? Then there's nothing good that can come from it. I guess "updates" but that's limited.

Last edited by Memoir, Dec 21, 2017
  18. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    You can't get enhanced graphics with those ports. The only one that may work is the USB c power, but I'm fairly certain that port only passes power, not data. You can't simply plug a box into a hdmi and get upgraded graphics. And standard usb 3.0 is definitely not enough bandwidth to do it. If the power port doesn't have data then you definitely won't have an addon inside the dock like that.

19. DrkBeam

DrkBeam GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2016
    Spain
    Still will be cockblocked by the previous hardware, besides the CPU will be a bottleneck for the switch, I'm not even sure if putting at the same speed like the nvidia shield would make a better performance because of the throttle, I think with just the external gpu is the most feasible way, they wouldn't get more third party support because is only the resolution bump and some nice effects not a new hardware iteration, anyway I expect a New switch in the future like the ds line had

20. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    So true. 4K is a step up, but its not an impressive step up in my opinion. A beautiful game running at 1080p and 60fps, is only going to look marginally worse than a 4K experience on your living room TV. Now if you had a movie theater sized screen, that 4K is going to start to make a considerable difference to the average eye, but at home... I really can just take it or leave it, and as current prices are, I'm leaning much more toward the leave it side.

Memoir likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice