Possible 4K Switch dock addon. Your thoughts about this?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Shadowehh, Dec 11, 2017.

?
  1. Yes, this should come to the Switch and will benefit from this.

42 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Yes, this should come to the Switch but might not benefit from it.

10 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. No, this should not come to the Switch but it might benefit from it.

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. No, this should not come to the Switch and will not benefit from it.

64 vote(s)
    48.1%
  5. Honestly I don't know, why are there so many questions here?

13 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Technically speaking, the CPU in the Switch is capable of 2.0Ghz, since it's part of the Tegra X1 that's also used in the Nividia Shield TV. Should a GPU-enhanced dock exist, Nintendo could possibly disable the GPU in the Switch itself (or at least put it in an idle mode) so the system's overall TDP is reduced, allowing them to increase the CPU clock without burning up the system.

2. blinkzane

blinkzane Panic at your moms house

GBAtemp Patron
    blinkzane is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 24, 2012
    United States
    Florida
    In response to the first thread, nintendo always plans for add ons. whether they make it or not is whether development turns profitable in costs.

Medveitsi likes this.
  3. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    2.0 for one set of four cores, 1.3 on the other set with one of the sets being disabled. What you've written here makes complete sense, at least to me and could very well be the solution Nintendo decides to take if they were to pull a 4K dock out of their asses. I don't know why people feel this is improbable.

4. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    Seinegald
    in all honesty i don't think it's necessary..

i have a good lg 4k tv and i traded in my ps4 for the pro, i use the 2160p option in my pro and all i can say it's just somewhat.... clearer sharper , more crisp.

that's Really ALL.
    it looks almost identical to 1080p.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  5. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Diminishing returns kicking in, especially with something that's as comparitively weak to the hardware needed for proper 4k

I agree that the Switch likely wouldn't benefit from an upgraded dock, other than maybe for framerates

6. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    to get better framerates it would need a faster cpu, a gpu alone probably wont help when stuck with underpower 1ghz quadcore cpu, so even if the dock had the best gpu ever, it would still be preety limited.

7. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    In almost every conversation about the internals of the Switch, this argument comes up. The Switch being underclocked does not mean that it'll be underclocked or underpowered forever. Whether Nintendo decides to up the clock or dedicated coders figure it out, I severely doubt that we'll be stuck at this frequency forever. In fact, I'm confident that this won't be the case. I'm willing to bet that it'll be increased one way or another and we'll see proper results from it.

8. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Even if you have pcie 3.0 x 4, it will be pushing it. And Nvidia probably didn't have the controller (and inside the soc)
    The only option is a hardware revision but no smartphone has had significant advantage yet.

9. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    if nintendo sells a basic HDMI dock adapter for almost 100 bucks. i can't imagine how much they would charge if it actually did something.

Yil likes this.
  10. The Minecrafter

The Minecrafter GBAtemp Regular

Dec 13, 2011
    United States
    I think trying to achieve 2K or 1440p would be easier than 4K. When that can run at a smooth framerate, then move onto 4K.

11. Shadowehh
    OP

Shadowehh Also known as Shadd

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Jeff The Killer's Bathroom
    Not bad, I would love to see major visual improvements to the game rather than upgrading it to 4k. This might at least speed up loading times through loads of games.

12. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    Wth is 2k?
    I even wonder why they say 4k when its 2160p
    And dont tell me its because 1080p fits 4.time in 4k, because 1080p fits 16 time in 8l

13. jurai

jurai GBAtemp Fan

Dec 23, 2005
    I could 'maybe' see a dock that scales the 1080p output to 4k, but I wouldn't count on actual native 4k rendering

14. Seliph

Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    No lol that'd be like 600 dollars, the 1060 (or some equivalent) would be a waste because it can render lots of stuff very well but games wouldn't be able to benefit from that because in portable mode the Switch would be too underpowered to render all of that stuff making portable use pointless.

15. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Instead of paying for this, I would probably rather have a new HD switch. (As in the internal screen is 1440p at least)

16. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    2k is 1440p. I think that with 4k there are 4,000 pixels on a standard 16:9 screen(?)

17. PewnyPL

PewnyPL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2014
    Poland
    4k came from it by design supposed to have 4000 pixels on the horizontal line. However, all 4k TVs have an actual resolution of 3840 × 2160, so there is ALMOST 4000 pixels on the horizontal line.
    Going by this logic 2k would be FullHD, 1920x1080 as it has ALMOST 2000 pixels on the horizontal line.

dpad_5678 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  18. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    I would welcome the addon, however! I don't think many people would buy it since it would be pretty expensive to build and make and that price would certainly be put on the consumer once released. And Nintendo wouldn't make it because it could reveal switch vulnerablites

Last edited by monkeyman4412, Feb 9, 2018
  19. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    well...not reveal persay but give more chances for them to be found. But I feel like even that dock would be no more exploitable then the current one, and by that I mean not at all besides more usb ports for more communication with the switch

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice