Popular games = made of Marmite?

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You know, I've always been meaning to ask. Why is it any discussion regarding FF7 draws out a huge flame war about how good it was with liberal use of the term 'fanboy' even when it's clearly not appropriate? Is the game made of Marmite or something? Some people love it, others detest it. There's rarely any middle ground.

It's not just FF7 either. Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, World of Warcraft, nothing is safe. I don't mind a difference of opinion but someone please explain why these debates are always taken to such extreme lengths. They're hardly ever civil discussions about the merits of the games, normally just adolescent insults. What gives with that?

Any ideas?

Zparks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
People like what they like; and of course if they like something people tend to get offended when someone else claims it's not as good as the other person believes.

I can go on to say I liked FF7; I think 6 was better; but that's also not taking into account that FF7 was for most people the first JRPG they played and being 'a first' it has a place in their hearts.

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Well there are many reasons things go that way but this is how i believe the discussions goes most of the time.

First: A bored guy wants to do something fun so he chooses a famous game knowing that there will be fans defending it and say it sucks or something similar.

Second: Fans who really loves that game reads the post and try to defend their beloved game.

Third: People who hates the game for a good reason or just because they belief its cool hating this games sees fans exaggerate about how awesome this game is and enter the discussion.

And so a fight start between them going back and forth. The reason those fights goes to such extreme limits is because both sides either extremely loves or hate the game .People who merely likes or dislikes the game finds those discussions to be silly & pointless so you rarely sees them involved except to calm them down or to point out how silly the discussion is. That is the reason I believe things happen this way I might be right or wrong but I am just saying my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock