Poll: Your thoughts on the Switch

359211-switch-thoughts.png

As the day of the Nintendo Switch conference and hands-on impressions draws to a close and the beans have been thoroughly spilled, we want to ask you - what do you think?

What are your impressions on the overall unveiling of the Switch given the pricing, games and hardware capabilities? Will you be Switching? Perhaps you've already pre-ordered one.

Vote in the poll and let us know! And be sure to share your comments in the thread below.

:switch:

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the typo there. What I am saying is that cramming a block of battery that covers all the possible space and still avoid interfering with cooling is a lot more expansive than what you see in 3ds or wii u.
I don't buy that for a moment. LG proved one could make a unibody and metal based phone that still has a removable back, and battery that could be replaced. And zerolemon already made a higher capacity battery for the v20 as a result. I still wish that LG deemed fit to make a model of the v20 that has a universal radio like my Moto x pure does, but we'll see if they ever do again.

Just design the thing to have a removable battery and easy access, and someone else could design a way to accommodate a larger battery. Then it'll actually be worth investing in the thing, instead of feeling like I'm just renting it at the asking price of $300 USD

Reactions: Deleted User

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
$300 is a bit much for a console without a single pack in title. But it's acceptable.

What isn't acceptable is the $70 pro controller. That just strikes me as a stupid choice. That's $10 more than the DualShock 4 was at launch.

Paying for online is a bit of a bummer, but PlayStation and Xbox require it as well. If we have an actual decent means of playing online this generation on Nintendo, I'm down for it, assuming it's less than $50 a year.

The launch lineup is aggravatingly terrible. 1 2 Switch should absolutely be an included bundle game. Zelda looks to be amazing, and I suppose it'd be enough to last a person well up until MK8 Deluxe launches. But still...I'm disappointed with the launch showcase from Nintendo...as usual.

The upcoming games are the biggest draw. Fire Emblem Musou, while I'm a bit tired of the genre, will be an instant buy from me. That Project Octowhatever looks awesome as well. Shin Megami Tensei V...I need that injected right into my veins. Right now.

The ports are whatever. Disgaea 5 and MK8D are nice, but $60 for games I can play on preexisting consoles? Meh. Portability will be a draw for me though.

Splatoon, don't care. Mario looks great. I want to love Xenoblade but I can't get myself to enjoy the series.

Overall, I'll be getting it purely for Shin Megami Tensei. But not at launch. Hopefully they bring some more interesting things to the table. I want an Animal Crossing game, some more Nintendo IPs, but it's...passable for now I guess.

Also--the monthly games for the paid online service? Amazing idea for SNES online play...but the rental system thing that it goes away after a month? That is unbearably stupid.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is comparing it to the Wii but the Wii sold really well did it not? Isn't that the point? I personally really enjoyed my Wii.
I mean, it's not like I buy Nintendo Consoles for 3rd party games really.
Wii sold well because of the hyper casuals and smartphones not being nearly as advanced at the time. All those people that couldn't even navigate the internet past Facebook are up the Wii, played Wii sports and were done. Now all those people are on iPhones.

Nintendo will never see that market again. Meanwhile, they ignored the very audience that kept them going from the nes all the way through the Nintendo 64 and GameCube eras.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't buy that for a moment. LG proved one could make a unibody and metal based phone that still has a removable back, and battery that could be replaced. And zerolemon already made a higher capacity battery for the v20 as a result. I still wish that LG deemed fit to make a model of the v20 that has a universal radio like my Moto x pure does, but we'll see if they ever do again.

Just design the thing to have a removable battery and easy access, and someone else could design a way to accommodate a larger battery. Then it'll actually be worth investing in the thing, instead of feeling like I'm just renting it at the asking price of $300 USD
That is a lot more expansive than the ones you find in old phones and laptops.

OliverWinstontin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
It saids limited download time. Once it''s in your system, it might behaves more than Xbox Live Gold.
Wii U was great and then became s***.
No Nintendo already confirmed it is only in your library for that month. If you want to keep playing it you have to buy it.

OliverWinstontin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I don't really play online anyway.
Would you kindly provide the source?
\http://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-switch/Nintendo_Switch_Online_Subscription_Service

Nintendo specifically names NES and Super NES games with newly-added online play as their free download titles. However, these free games serve as demos, and only last for the month before you are offered to buy the game or you will be unable to play it further.

Can't find the specific quote it was from a Nintendo rep though.

Also looks like all online services through the paid service require you to do them through a smart device. Which seems kind of ridiculous.

The Nintendo Switch Online Service will use a dedicated smart device app to connect to the Nintendo Switch Console. It will let players Invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends, while enjoying online matches in compatible games, all from a smart device.

Also no headphone jack on the joycon controller or Pro Controller at those prices? I mean another joycon setup is $80 for two joycons plus $30 for joycon dock, and a separate game dock is $90 for a total of $200. So does that mean the console is only valued at $100? Or is that Nintendo just screwing over consumers? I better at least get PC compatibility or at least Steam compatibility as both Xbox One controllers and PS4 controllers offer that and are $10 cheaper at MSRP and often times much cheaper than that.

Last edited by OliverWinstontin,
D

Deleted User

Wii sold well because of the hyper casuals and smartphones not being nearly as advanced at the time. All those people that couldn't even navigate the internet past Facebook are up the Wii, played Wii sports and were done. Now all those people are on iPhones.
Hey, not all of them are just on iPhones, some probably still use their Wiis because you can't play Just Dance on an iPhone.

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is comparing it to the Wii but the Wii sold really well did it not? Isn't that the point? I personally really enjoyed my Wii.
I mean, it's not like I buy Nintendo Consoles for 3rd party games really.

The Wii selling so well was the downfall of the Wii U. More motion controls and some clunky games that use the gamepad (Kirby). The motion control fad died when the Wii U was announced. At this point Nintendo seems content to beat this dead horse.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Nintendo has this idea that if we give one million new features. the devs will just use them and come up with new games like never done before. yes that happens to like 0.1% of games.

just make games with good gameplay not gimmicks. for fuck sake.

Reactions: 0scar64 and stl25

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you prefer motion controls to standard controller gaming, you are probably hyped for the switch. For the handful of games that did motion controls right (Metroid Prime Trilogy being my favorite) kudos to them. But the fact of the matter is motion controls is not the immediate future of game consoles and holds less appeal to avid xbox and playstation gamers. Casual games are nintendo's theme. Hardcore gaming is to be had on PC Xbox One and PS4.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Mind giving some examples? The concept are more poorly executed than wii u gamepad, I will give you that but remember it is also a tradition console with local 2p on single unit.
The construction of the joycon looks like a crappy Chinese toy they look uncomfortable, the docking system is underutilised, the architecture might be a bit of a miss, there's lots to talk about. My biggest issue without getting into the nitty-gritty are definitely the joycons, something just doesn't feel right about them, but I guess I'll have to hold them to have an educated opinion. They're definitely overengineered, which lead to unacceptable pricing Day 1.

OliverWinstontin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I like it. Games look fun, system looks nice, not as expensive as I'd thought it'd be.
Only complaint is the low launch titles and paid online... but MK8 comes out soon.
Yeah it has 5 launch titles and not all of them are even full games. I Am Setsuna wasn't a full priced game. As bad as the Wii U launch was it still had 23 games I believe at launch and they where full priced games not lower priced games from smaller studios. Even with Mario it looks kind of weak. A Mario Kart game that is a rehash of the one on Wii U. IGN reported that Splatoon was really more of an updated Splatoon than a true sequel. Honestly to me looks like one of the worse launch years ever. Xenoblade 2 was listed as 2017 but that was during a Japanese event so it could be 6-12 months out further in North America just like the previous game was. I think the concept looks cool but the games aren't there, Nintendo is charging more for it than they should be, Accessory prices are a joke, game lineup isn't great as a large portion of all the games are previously released games, I mean Skyrim came out like in 2011 right? And have to pay for online for a console that basically online is going to have Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Splatoon? Doesn't sound that appealing.

Reactions: Yil and CeeDee

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I probably the only one seeing the gimmick in it.

Its like they put all their eggs in the controllers basket.

To be honest only a single game showed interested me, and that was only slightly.

I had the Wii... I had the WiiU...
It looks like its going to be another WiiU.

And.. eventually, probably have one anyway...
Not thanks to my better judgement.

Last edited by samljer,

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I probably the only one seeing the gimmick in it.

Its like they put all their eggs in the controllers basket.

To be honest only a single game showed interested me, and that was only slightly.

Agreed. Joy con is a rebranded wiimote. Fail.
Breath of the Wild is interesting but I will go for the Wii U version like I did the gamecube version of Twighlight Princess.

The Wii was a fad that sold great, but so did hula hoops and pogo balls. The Wii U never go to fad status as consumers responded. I see a similar fate for the Switch although it is destined to be better than the Wii U.

Last edited by stl25,

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I like it. Games look fun, system looks nice, not as expensive as I'd thought it'd be.
Only complaint is the low launch titles and paid online... but MK8 comes out soon.

the sarcasm is strong with this one. join me. together we can rule the galaxy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...