Poll: Your thoughts on the Switch

359211-switch-thoughts.png

As the day of the Nintendo Switch conference and hands-on impressions draws to a close and the beans have been thoroughly spilled, we want to ask you - what do you think?

What are your impressions on the overall unveiling of the Switch given the pricing, games and hardware capabilities? Will you be Switching? Perhaps you've already pre-ordered one.

Vote in the poll and let us know! And be sure to share your comments in the thread below.

:switch:

OliverWinstontin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Have to pay for online? Do they have Call of Duty? Battlefield? Final Fantasy XIV, Overwatch? There is a reason people are willing to pay to game online on Xbox One and PS4. Do I get free games that are mine to keep for as long as I pay for online? Nope again? Oh I get to try out an NES or SNES game for the month but have to purchase it to keep it once the month is over? Wow so innovative. Can't wait until they talk about the Virtual Console and tell me I need to dish out money for the 100 time to buy Mario Bros 3 or a Link to the Past etc. Nintendo acts like they have gotten with the times, but if you look closely it is superficial and they are just acting like they have, same old crap is going on under the surface. I say this as someone that spent more money on Wii U then I have on PS4, PS3, or Xbox 360 all of the other more recent consoles I own and I still believe the Wii U had one of the greatest game libraries despite is small amount of games.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Still need a WiiU before you can't buy one anymore. The difference in architecture more or less proves the switch won't even try to handle WiiU or Wii games.

$70 for a pro controller and $80 for the replacement joycon controllers is insane. $300 is insane for the system when you consider it has a nonremovable battery in the main unit. It was easier to swallow the awful battery life of the WiiU tablet because it could be replaced, and there are options for a battery with a better capacity. No such fortune here.

HDMI only means I will also need to wait and invest in a capture card that can handle these fast enough for competitive level play; not so much because I intend to play online, but a fair number of games I care about can indeed be affected with any kind of processing or input lag.

Don't care for Zelda, and never will. So it's not a launch thing for me, even though it's launching right before my birthday. No more heroes 3 is practically a must. Super Mario Odyssey is the first new Mario game in a while, that has me interested enough to want to play.
Already packed and bubble-wrapped my WiiU as I have no plans of ever using it again. I'm just done with it at this point.

D

Deleted User

It looks kinda cool... but that price $470AUD.
I'll be playing MK8, Splatoon and Breath of the Wild on my Wii U.
I wonder how long online servers for Wii U will work.

Reactions: stl25

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More easier said than done. It might take years for a exploit. Hell just think about how long it took for Wii U hacking.

Well, part of the reason it took so long to hack the Wii U was there wasn't all that much interest, had people had more interest it would've been exploited sooner.

Gonna wait till more info is released about online, more games, etc. I expect the peripherals to drop in price.

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have to pay for online? Do they have Call of Duty? Battlefield? Final Fantasy XIV, Overwatch? There is a reason people are willing to pay to game online on Xbox One and PS4. Do I get free games that are mine to keep for as long as I pay for online? Nope again? Oh I get to try out an NES or SNES game for the month but have to purchase it to keep it once the month is over? Wow so innovative. Can't wait until they talk about the Virtual Console and tell me I need to dish out money for the 100 time to buy Mario Bros 3 or a Link to the Past etc. Nintendo acts like they have gotten with the times, but if you look closely it is superficial and they are just acting like they have, same old crap is going on under the surface. I say this as someone that spent more money on Wii U then I have on PS4, PS3, or Xbox 360 all of the other more recent consoles I own and I still believe the Wii U had one of the greatest game libraries despite is small amount of games.
That's worser than I was thinking :(.

Reactions: DarkRioru

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Still need a WiiU before you can't buy one anymore. The difference in architecture more or less proves the switch won't even try to handle WiiU or Wii games.

$70 for a pro controller and $80 for the replacement joycon controllers is insane. $300 is insane for the system when you consider it has a nonremovable battery in the main unit. It was easier to swallow the awful battery life of the WiiU tablet because it could be replaced, and there are options for a battery with a better capacity. No such fortune here.

HDMI only means I will also need to wait and invest in a capture card that can handle these fast enough for competitive level play; not so much because I intend to play online, but a fair number of games I care about can indeed be affected with any kind of processing or input lag.

Don't care for Zelda, and never will. So it's not a launch thing for me, even though it's launching right before my birthday. No more heroes 3 is practically a must. Super Mario Odyssey is the first new Mario game in a while, that has me interested enough to want to play.
A large blocks of irreguler shaped battery is more expansive.
I like Breath of the wild, never cared about ultra violent games and I hate Mario Odyssey.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It saids limited download time. Once it''s in your system, it might behaves more than Xbox Live Gold.
Wii U was great and then became s***.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A large blocks of irreguler shaped battery is more expansive.
I like Breath of the wild, never cared about ultra violent games and I hate Mario Odyssey.
I've tried to reread your first sentence several times, and I still don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo's lost the plot.

Too expensive, ridiculous prices on extra controllers because of added crap no one asked for & then on top of that paid online, where you get to play a NES or SNES game for a whole month. Not even a few cards short, missing half the deck at this point :rofl2:

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've tried to reread your first sentence several times, and I still don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Sorry for the typo there. What I am saying is that cramming a block of battery that covers all the possible space and still avoid interfering with cooling is a lot more expansive than what you see in 3ds or wii u.

coinblock

Trophies
XP
Country
I probably won't be buying it at launch. The console itself, but especially the controllers (with no D-pad on the Joycon?!) and stupid peripherals, are just too expensive in my region to justify a day one purchase. Unless, of course, some really incredible launch titles are revealed in the coming months.

So far though, it looks to be off to a slow launch. Zelda alone just isn't going to cut it, and BOTW looks pretty...empty so far, and taking inspiration from Minecraft with an emphasis on grindy crafting. Mario Odyssey seems pretty fun, but gave me some unsettling Sonic '06 vibes seeing Mario interact with realistic-looking humans. Arms looks cool, but I'd like to see some more gameplay footage. What else is there, Skyrim? Who cares? Is the Switch not powerful enough to run Fallout 4 or equivalent current-gen console games? Not a good sign.

Nintendo's proposal for a paid online service is just appalling, especially considering the meager benefits you get from paying for their service. A monthly game rental? How generous! I can't wait to re-buy all of those virtual console games for the second or third time, utilizing what's sure to be more of the same of Nintendo's laughably restrictive and outdated online infrastructure.

That's not to say I'm shitting on the Switch entirely. I'm excited by the idea of its hardware, the dual portable/home console aspect of the device is really cool. I'm not just sure it has the horsepower, or the right business sense behind it to succeed in this market.

Last edited by coinblock,

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo's lost the plot.

Too expensive, ridiculous prices on extra controllers because of added crap no one asked for & then on top of that paid online, where you get to play a NES or SNES game for a whole month. Not even a few cards short, missing half the deck at this point :rofl2:
You mean you don't want local 2p on a single unit?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So-so. Just like the Wii U, it's an excellent idea on paper that has lots of potential, but they seem to be screwing up the most basic things about it, which is a shame. My feelings are very mixed - I see it and I immediately focus on things I would've done differently if I engineered it.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So-so. Just like the Wii U, it's an excellent idea on paper that has lots of potential, but they seem to be screwing up the most basic things about it, which is a shame. My feelings are very mixed - I see it and I immediately focus on things I would've done differently if I engineered it.
Mind giving some examples? The concept are more poorly executed than wii u gamepad, I will give you that but remember it is also a tradition console with local 2p on single unit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: hi @Xdqwerty +1