Hardware Poll: What do you think of the Switch?

What do you think of the Switch?

• Looks great! I'm definitely interested

Votes: 762 55.8%
  • Intriguing, but I'll wait to know more before I make up my mind

Votes: 467 34.2%
  • Not really interested, I don't see the appeal

Votes: 64 4.7%
  • WTF Nintendo? what is this crap

Votes: 73 5.3%

• Total voters

aljpn91

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
there are cheaper alternatives like psvr that will work with any hdmi outputting device
but i don't feel like paying 400$ just for cinema mode

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
there are cheaper alternatives like psvr that will work with any hdmi outputting device
but i don't feel like paying 400$ just for cinema mode
Well including the cost of the console that's at least $700, not including games, online sub, etc. You also get what you pay for, I've demo'd PSVR and it seems way too low-res as well as too feature-limited after having played with the Vive.

Chrisser_75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Some of the gameplay material was faked in the trailer...
What do you think about that?

Example image:
nintendoswitchfake.png

Last edited by Chrisser_75,

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do not want. Don't mix mobile with home console, the compromises means it's good for neither.
Except its running a tegra chip thats either based on the X1 or Parker, with parker being the more likely option, this means it will have a minimum of two ultra fast Denver2 cores and 6 stock arm cores which will provide really fast speed even though it runs simple code. The gpu will be based on pascal which already puts it in terms of architecture ahead of polaris which is being used in the pro.

Not sure what you're saying? It matters not the gen of the chip if it's hampered by a mobile TDP and mobile cooling. No way this semi-portable will be more powerful than a PS4 Pro.

For me it's not only about power. It's about features. For a home console we want comfortable controllers and no gimmicks. For a mobile gaming platform we want a good form factor and portability. This appears to win neither category.

But on the other hand the DS/3DS proved people loved having a touchscreen in front of them while playing primarily on a larger screen. The Wii U failed for other reasons.
Confused by this. People who play the DS play on the go, what do you mean larger screen?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It was a nice extra, but DS/3DS success can hardly be attributed to their touchscreens, as many games can be played on them without using the touchscreen at all.
But on the other hand the list of best selling DS games is full of titles that use it extensively.

It's downright bizarre that after eight years of games made for two screens, all the experiments, reviews and all the userbase feedback, developers had no idea what to do with them when it came time to the WiiU. "Hey, remember those idiotic gameplay-breaking bottom screen minigames that we know everyone loathed in DS titles? Let's do them anyway!" "How about something that actually enhances gameplay?" "Nah."

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Not sure what you're saying? It matters not the gen of the chip if it's hampered by a mobile TDP and mobile cooling. No way this semi-portable will be more powerful than a PS4 Pro.

For me it's not only about power. It's about features. For a home console we want comfortable controllers and no gimmicks. For a mobile gaming platform we want a good form factor and portability. This appears to win neither category.

Confused by this. People who play the DS play on the go, what do you mean larger screen?
How so? You can use the Pro Controller when using it as a home console, and the actual design of the thing is very appealing and looks no less comfortable than a Vita or a PSP.

They're not forcing motion nor touch, just an option, so it's not a gimmick, either.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

You act like this is the final console, also did you not see the pro controller or the grip, my god im wondering whether or not youve even watched it all. The fact you even compare this to pro baffles the mind, (sorry for the ad hominem) you obviously cant comprehend the fact that most users by the end of 2017 into 2018 will still be using the old xbox one and PS4 not pro. So the fact this thing could be the same power as an Xbox one makes it extremely remarkable, remember its not just the numbers, its architecture is by far better than the PS4 pros and the scorpios and its processors are much faster than the jaguar proccesors inside the ps4 and the pro. This machine is based on 2016 tech while the PS4 is lagging behind with tech from 2011. So no nintendo is not behind. RAM i hear you say? this machine could easily store 6gb in that case, and before i hear you say "the PS4 has 8GB" only 5.5gb is usable due to the OS and as we know mobile OS's can be as small as 50mb so this thing can have more RAM than the PS4. Honestly, you havent done any research at all. Also i can already hear people screaming that the pro will have a different CPU, but there has yet to be an announcement from sony that the cpu has changed to a large degree. Next is API's and Libraries, Nvidia has AMD beat on this as we quite well know that most games play better on Nvidia Graphics cards than AMD mostly Nvidias latest pascal chips. Whats funny is that Polaris is weaker than maxwell too. Now on size, due to how chips are getting smaller we can see a smaller version of this by 2018 (right now the chip is probably 10nm by 2018 chips will be 7nm.) So all the issues you've raised up are highly uneducated. Also on a closing note, pascal is more power efficient than polaris.

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But on the other hand the list of best selling DS games is full of titles that use it extensively.

It's downright bizarre that after eight years of games made for two screens, all the experiments, reviews and all the userbase feedback, developers had no idea what to do with them when it came time to the WiiU. "Hey, remember those idiotic gameplay-breaking bottom screen minigames that we know everyone loathed in DS titles? Let's do them anyway!" "How about something that actually enhances gameplay?" "Nah."
The thing that really hurts me is how well games like Nintendoland, Wind Waker HD, and Game & Wario used the GamePad... And then everything else just kind of chucked it to the side

Rena

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone said that the Switch looked like they had dog ears?? For me it seems pretty interesting. I think I'll be losing those controllers pretty soon though!

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You act like this is the final console, also did you not see the pro controller or the grip, my god im wondering whether or not youve even watched it all. The fact you even compare this to pro baffles the mind, (sorry for the ad hominem) you obviously cant comprehend the fact that most users by the end of 2017 into 2018 will still be using the old xbox one and PS4 not pro. So the fact this thing could be the same power as an Xbox one makes it extremely remarkable, remember its not just the numbers, its architecture is by far better than the PS4 pros and the scorpios and its processors are much faster than the jaguar proccesors inside the ps4 and the pro. This machine is based on 2016 tech while the PS4 is lagging behind with tech from 2011. So no nintendo is not behind. RAM i hear you say? this machine could easily store 6gb in that case, and before i hear you say "the PS4 has 8GB" only 5.5gb is usable due to the OS and as we know mobile OS's can be as small as 50mb so this thing can have more RAM than the PS4. Honestly, you havent done any research at all. Also i can already hear people screaming that the pro will have a different CPU, but there has yet to be an announcement from sony that the cpu has changed to a large degree. Next is API's and Libraries, Nvidia has AMD beat on this as we quite well know that most games play better on Nvidia Graphics cards than AMD mostly Nvidias latest pascal chips. Whats funny is that Polaris is weaker than maxwell too. Now on size, due to how chips are getting smaller we can see a smaller version of this by 2018 (right now the chip is probably 10nm by 2018 chips will be 7nm.) So all the issues you've raised up are highly uneducated. Also on a closing note, pascal is more power efficient than polaris.

Chill man, I was responding to you. YOU compared it to the pro. YOU are still ignoring TDP. The chip may be more efficient, but it's about wattage, man. If the TDP is very small due to the mobile power envelope and cooling, it's not going to be as powerful as full sized console with desktop cooling and wattage. I'm seriously not sure who you are arguing with. I never made any comments about all these specs except a reply to you (where YOU compared it to the pro), and I made a single reference to TDP. You fly of the handle about specs I did not mention and call me uneducated and didn't research! Chill the hell out. I couldn't care less if this is more powerful than the pro, I just thought your comment about chip generation being ahead of the pro isn't the whole story if it's less than half the wattage.

My OPINION that a mobile/console hybrid makes sacrifices in both categories is not swayed by your insulting rant about specs. I'm really not so sure why you're so emotional about it. What stake do you have in it if some people think this console is undesirable?

Last edited by Obveron,

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Chill man, I was responding to you. YOU compared it to the pro. YOU are still ignoring TDP. The chip may be more efficient, but it's about wattage, man. If the TDP is very small due to the mobile power envelope and cooling, it's not going to be as powerful as full sized console with desktop cooling and wattage. I'm seriously not sure who you are arguing with. I never made any comments about all these specs except a reply to you (where YOU compared it to the pro), and I made a single reference to TDP. You fly of the handle about specs I did not mention and call me uneducated and didn't research! Chill the hell out. I couldn't care less if this is more powerful than the pro, I just thought your comment about chip generation being ahead of the pro isn't the whole story if it's less than half the wattage.

My OPINION that a mobile/console hybrid makes sacrifices in both categories is not swayed by your insulting rant about specs. I'm really not so sure why you're so emotional about it. What stake do you have in it if some people think this console is undesirable?
I'm not emotionally connected to it rather I'm annoyed of these posts similar to your own. When I say highly uneducated I mean ignorant, so your guesses don't work. I had never compared this machine to the pro and I'd like evidence. Also, I did say sorry if I offended you but I'll say it again, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. You used TDP as an excuse for bad performance but that really isn't the case, that's why I pointed out other specs. Not TDP wise we did see vents on this machine so there is active cooling of some sort.
Edit: I should say that I said its architecture is better than the pros, I never said the pro was more powerful.

My intention was never to insult you im sorry again.

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey man no big deal I think we're misunderstanding each other here. I didn't say that you said the switch would be more powerful than a pro. I originally posted that I thought this was a console/mobile hybrid and was going to have to make sacrifices in each category. You replied to me and pointed out the architecture was ahead of the pro. in my view, that was a comparison to the pro. I replied, hey don't forget about TDP it's not going to be as powerful... which wasn't an attack on you and I know you didnt explicitly say it was going to be more powerful, it was just a comment about TDP I thought worth discussing. you then asked me, why are you comparing to the pro. and told me I'm ignorant about a range of specs on which I had never brought up at all, so I did not expose my ignorance or knowledge. I said it was you who compared to the pro. you say provide evidence lol and said I used TDP for an excuse for bad performance. I never said anything about bad performance. I did clearly imply that a mobile form factor will need to sacrifice performance for lower heat and wattage.

I really feel like I made one little comment about TDP and you approached me as if I had said a range of other things that maybe another poster said, I don't know.

Anyways. It's cool man.

Last edited by Obveron,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter