• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] U.S. Presidential Election 2016

Whom will/would you vote for?

• Laurence Kotlikoff (Independent)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tom Hoefling (America's Party)

• Mike Maturen (American Solidarity Party)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're forgetting that there are areas in the world that either have very limited or no internet access, and the residents all rely on local shops for any goods
You're forgetting that we're talking about the U.S.A here, so your remark is out of context, non-applicable and moot. It's just not your call to make, you cannot appropriate other people's wealth, that's some Marxist level bullshit. If you don't like racists, let them go bankrupt - I would rather do business with someone openly fair than with a closet racist because as a customer I have a choice and I should be informed. I'd rather know who I'm giving my money to.

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
They are allowed to do so because it's their businesses, not yours. There is no public claim on privately owned businesses, you should have no say in how their owners operate them.
This goes against people's rights to be treated equally though. If I have to go somewhere else it's possible I'll be paying more than everyone else, not taking into account the inconveniences involved with finding an alternative (if it even exists, I earlier mentioned one example of a case where I would have no alternatives).
And this would happen very frequently to people who are part of discriminated groups.
I think people's quality of life comes before a supposed "right to discriminate".

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll put it this way, before I bow out of this part of our debate because it's frustrating me. If I have a burger shop, and a person whom I highly feel I have an issue with(we'll just suppose he/she abused my children in some way)comes in to eat lunch. I'd quite certainly like the right to say "you're not welcome here"

Reactions: Foxi4 and vayanui8

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not a burden, that's a choice.
If the cheapest flower shop in the county refuses to do service with Adam because he's gay, Adam hasn't chosen to do business elsewhere; he was forced to. That's the definition of burdensome.

I find it hard to believe that in the age of the Internet you cannot find an alternative. In this day and age you can do business with someone on the other side of the planet, doing so within one country is a non-issue.
Are you saying that because alternative businesses might be easier to find in some cases on the internet and in other places, it does not create an undue burden on someone discriminated against? Can you speak for all goods and services in all places? In small towns, like during the era of Civil Rights, will Adam not have to drive 50-100 miles for a comparable business or service? What if it's something Adam needs right away that his straight counterparts could get but he couldn't?

Regardless of alternative availability, do you know what undue burden means? An embarrassing discriminatory event followed by a ten-minute drive to an alternative business is legally an undue burden.

Fringe sexist/racist elements don't deserve any money, so don't give it to them - go elsewhere. If you know a shop discriminates gays, don't go to that shop - go elsewhere.
Discrimination shouldn't exist for obvious reasons, including the ones I've listed.

Institutionalized racism was killed by social change, not government regulation. The government didn't wave a magic wand and made it disappear.
Actually, many of the practical effects of institutionalized racism were killed by policy, which eventually led to social change. Large-scale social change didn't occur until after businesses were forced to accommodate all groups equally, schools were forced to accommodate all groups equally, etc.

Foxi4, we've respectfully disagreed in the past. I've even empathized with some of your positions. But in this case, respectfully, your reasoning is idealistic cherry-picking that doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Lacius,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're forgetting that we're talking about the U.S.A here, so your remark is out of context and moot. It's just not your call to make, you cannot appropriate other people's wealth, that's some Marxist level bullshit. If you don't like racist, let them go bankrupt - I would rather do business with someone openly fair than with a closet racist because as a customer I have a choice and I should be informed. I'd rather know who I'm giving my money to.
I lived here, once. It's literally middle-of-nowhere, ranchville USA. To get most ranching supplies, you actually literally have to cross the border and drive... I believe 20? 30 minutes? Into Nebraska to get to Sidney, or a little bit more south to get to Sterling. That may not sound like much, but when there's work to be done you definitely don't want to have to put up with discriminatory bullshit in one city and then have to quadruple the time to drive to the other and get back to the ranch.

Reactions: I pwned U!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This goes against people's rights to be treated equally though. If I have to go somewhere else it's possible I'll be paying more than everyone else, not taking into account the inconveniences involved with finding an alternative (if it even exists, I earlier mentioned one example of a case where I would have no alternatives).
And this would happen very frequently to people who are part of discriminated groups.
I think people's quality of life comes before a supposed "right to discriminate".
People have a right to equal treatment by the *state*, not by individuals. We are equal in the eyes of the law, but that's it. As a private school owner, I should have the right not to hire a previously convicted sex offender because based on prior history of that individual I find them to be a potential risk or liability - that's discrimination too. They can have all the credentials in the world or superior experience, they could be better-trained or more effective teachers, but I refuse to do business with them on the grounds of them diddling kids - that's all I need to make a decision, don't even bring a CV in. If I have a pub and an individual consistently stirrs trouble at the bar, I should have a right to ban them because having them there hurts my bottom line - it's my bar and I can exclude any patron I want. Businesses should have a right to choose how to operate and if someone goes against the owner's views, the owner should not be forced to do business with them with a rod.
If the cheapest flower shop in the county refuses to do service with Adam because he's gay, Adam hasn't chosen to do business elsewhere; he was forced to. That's the definition of burdensome.

Are you saying that because alternative businesses might be easier to find in some cases on the internet and in other places, it does not create an undue burden on someone discriminated against? Can you speak for all goods and services in all places? In small towns, like during the era of Civil Rights, will Adam not have to drive 50-100 miles for a comparable business or service? What if it's something Adam needs right away that his straight counterparts could get but he couldn't?

Regardless of alternative availability, do you know what undue burden means? An embarrassing discriminatory event followed by a ten-minute drive to an alternative business is legally an undue burden.

Discrimination shouldn't exist for obvious reasons, including the ones I've listed.

Actually, many of the practical effects of institutionalized racism were killed by policy, which eventually led to social change. Large-scale social change didn't occur until after businesses were forced to accommodate all groups equally, schools were forced to accommodate all groups equally, etc.

Foxi4, we've respectfully disagreed in the past. I've even empathized with some of your positions. But in this case, respectfully, your reasoning is idealistic cherry-picking that doesn't make sense.
We'll have to agree to disagree then, because I do feel that freedom is a two-way street. Maybe it's idealistic, but I'm fine with that.
I lived here, once. It's literally middle-of-nowhere, ranchville USA. To get most ranching supplies, you actually literally have to cross the border and drive... I believe 20? 30 minutes? Into Nebraska to get to Sidney, or a little bit more south to get to Sterling. That may not sound like much, but when there's work to be done you definitely don't want to have to put up with discriminatory bullshit in one city and then have to quadruple the time to drive to the other and get back to the ranch.
Hey, did you ever consider the fact that this is a market niche? You can open a competing store that's closer, has better prices and, say, doesn't discriminate? Capitalize on the situation.

Reactions: vayanui8

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, did you ever consider the fact that this is a market niche? You can open a competing store that's closer, has better prices and, say, doesn't discriminate? Capitalize on the situation.
Except when, for instance, the people of the area typically support the original shop owners views and will refuse to go to another one that is more supportive because of "morals." Business owners won't choose to capitalize on a situation where there is less capital to be made in the first place

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People have a right to equal treatment by the *state*, not by individuals. We are equal in the eyes of the law, but that's it. As a private school owner, I should have the right not to hire a previously convicted sex offender because based on prior history of that individual I find them to be a potential risk or liability - that's discrimination too. They can have all the credentials in the world or superior experience, they could be better-trained or more effective teachers, but I refuse to do business with them diddling kids. If I have a pub and an individual consistently stirrs trouble at the bar, I should have a right to ban them because having them there hurts my bottom line - it's my bar and I can exclude any patron I want. Business should have a right to choose how to operate and if someone goes against the owner's views, the owner should not be forced to do business with them with a rod.
There is a difference between not hiring someone because of a criminal record directly incompatible with the job and arbitrarily not doing business with a specific class of citizen. Please don't indirectly compare the LGBT community to sex offenders like so many people do, intentionally or unintentionally. I don't believe that was your intention.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, because I do feel that freedom is a two-way street. Maybe it's idealistic, but I'm fine with that.
I've already discussed how people's freedoms are almost always being hindered by policy. It's up to the society to decide which freedoms are more important. To quote myself again:
This whole "at the cost of freedom" argument has been used many times throughout history. Getting rid of slavery, for example, hindered the freedom of slave owners to own slaves. Many laws that benefit society hinder some freedoms. Anti-homicide laws hinder the freedom of someone to kill another human being. One has to weigh the freedoms and figure out whose freedoms are more important. The freedom of someone to live outweighs the freedom of someone to kill. The literal freedom of a person outweighs the freedom of a slave owner to own slaves. The freedom of someone to have access to the same goods and services as the rest of the public outweighs the freedom of the butthurt business owner to arbitrary discriminate for no reason other than hate.

A person shouldn't be required to drop everything and take the risk of starting a business in order to hinder discrimination, particularly when it might not work. I know that's not what you were arguing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Except when, for instance, the people of the area typically support the original shop owners views and will refuse to go to another one that is more supportive because of "morals." Business owners won't choose to capitalize on a situation where there is less capital to be made in the first place
That's asinine and counter-intuitive for a business owner. If the local supply sucks dick and a new, better store at a more favourable location opens, people will switch - that's a guarantee. If you offer better goods or services and don't require people to drive across state lines to do business with you, they will do business with you over the alternative. Build it and they will come - good businesses should push bad businesses off the market, that's just how the market rolls.
There is a difference between not hiring someone because of a criminal record directly incompatible with the job and arbitrarily not doing business with a specific class of citizen. Please don't indirectly compare the LGBT community to sex offenders like so many people do, intentionally or unintentionally. I don't believe that was your intention.
No, there isn't. In both instances it's a business owner making a choice based on their sensibilities, it's just that one example is more close to your own than the other. What you're saying hinges on the fact that you find sex offenders repugnant - that's you and your opinion. You're discriminating against them. Others find different groups or lifestyles unacceptable, why should they have less rights than you? Because you disagree? Sex offenders have a right to work too - are they supposed to starve because they did something in the past? What if they regret it? What if the "sex offense" was just peeing behind a bush in a drunken stupor, because that's a sexual offense in some states? It's the right of a business owner to weigh the pros and cons and decide for themselves who they want to work with, not yours.
I've already discussed how people's freedoms are almost always being hindered by policy. It's up to the society to decide which freedoms are more important.
So, going by your logic, if a society chooses to discriminate against blacks and the government intervenes, that is unjust? Because you're breaking your own argument here. Either the society decides or the government does, pick one or the other.
A person shouldn't be required to drop everything and take the risk of starting a business in order to hinder discrimination, particularly when it might not work. I know that's not what you were arguing.
They have the option to start a competing business if they believe that the local one does not supply goods or services in a way that's suitable, and they can make a lot of money by doing that if they know that the locals will support such a business.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, there isn't. In both instances it's a business owner making a choice based on their sensibilities, it's just that one example is more close to your own than the other. Sex offenders have a right to work too - are they supposed to starve because they did something in the past? What if they regret it? What if the "sex offense" was just peeing behind a bush in a drunken stupor, because that's a sexual offense in some states? It's the right of a business owner to weigh the pros and cons and decide themselves who they want to work with, not yours.
The reason the choice vs. not choice debate was/is so important during the fight for LGBT equality is because the answer to that question determines whether or not LGBT status can be considered a protected class in anti-discrimination law. To be a protected class, the characteristic must be considered an immutable characteristic, which essentially means it's innate and not a choice. One's criminal history is not and will not be a protected class because it is not an immutable characteristic. We are free in this country to make choices and accept the consequences, but no one choses to be gay, and one should not face the undue burden of discrimination because of it. Your analogy is a completely false one. Whether or not someone is hired for a position should be based entirely on his or her experiences.

So, going by your logic, if a society chooses to discriminate against blacks and the government intervenes, that is unjust? Because you're breaking your own argument here. Either the society decides or the government does, pick one or the other.
Last time I checked, our government was by the people. They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive groups. If there is unjust discrimination occurring within the society where a group's fundamental rights are being violated, it is the duty of the government to snuff out that discrimination. I'm not sure how you got from what I typed to saying government intervention against discrimination is unjust. That's more than a bit of a non sequitur. When I say "a society," I mean "the people and their government."

They have the option to start a competing business if they believe that the local one does not supply goods or services in a way that's suitable, and they can make a lot of money by doing that if they know that the locals will support such a business.
It is not the responsibility of the private citizen to start a competing business in order to minimize discrimination in the world. That's just absurd. Your "well they can do this" attitude is just another example of your cherry-picking idealism.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The reason the choice vs. not choice debate was/is so important during the fight for LGBT equality is because the answer to that question determines whether or not LGBT status can be considered a protected class in anti-discrimination law. To be a protected class, the characteristic must be considered an immutable characteristic, which essentially means it's innate and not a choice. One's criminal history is not and will not be a protected class because it is not an immutable characteristic. We are free in this country to make choices and accept the consequences, but no one choses to be gay, and one should not face the undue burden of discrimination because of it. Your analogy is a completely false one. Whether or not someone is hired for a position should be based entirely on his or her experiences.
There's a wealth of scientific evidence that suggests peadophiles are "born that way", too. They have a different brain composition to non-peadophiles, the ratio between grey and white matter is skewed, and they're normally a few IQ points lower than average. In other words, there is biological evidence that the tendency to find children attractive is within the sphere of nature, not nurture. If being a peadophile is not a choice, does that mean that we shouldn't discriminate against them in certain situations?
Last time I checked, our government was by the people. They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive groups. If there is unjust discrimination occurring within the society where a group's fundamental rights are being violated, it is the duty of the government to snuff out that discrimination. I'm not sure how you got from what I typed to saying government intervention against discrimination is unjust. That's more than a bit of a non sequitur. When I say "a society," I mean "the people and their government."
That's a fair clarification.
It is not the responsibility of the private citizen to start a competing business in order to minimize discrimination in the world. That's just absurd. Your "well they can do this" attitude is just another example of your cherry-picking idealism.
But they *can*. They have the *option* to do that, not a responsibility. They don't *need* to be beholden to a bigot. Your argument was that we cannot allow for owners to decide who to do business with because it hinders the society, my argument is that the society is self-regulating and when it encounters an obstacle in its path, it will think of an alternative.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a wealth of scientific evidence that suggests peadophiles are "born that way", too. They have a different brain composition to non-peadophiles, the ratio between grey and white matter is skewed, and they're normally a few IQ points lower than average. In other words, there is biological evidence that the tendency to find children attractive is within the sphere of nature, not nurture. If being a peadophile is not a choice, does that mean that we shouldn't discriminate against them in certain situations?
I like how you switched from the generic sex offender, a term that references an act/crime, and your original point to a point about something that might be an immutable characteristic and abandons your original point entirely. That wasn't shameless at all. The mental gymnastics are strong with this one.

Regardless of whether or not an attraction to minors is an immutable characteristic (it probably is), the act of pedophilia is still an immoral crime and not immutable. Your new analogy is a false one, too.

I should also point out that this is the second time you've brought up pedophiles and/or sex offenders in the context of LGBT rights, which is an antiquated tactic.

But they *can*. Your argument was that we cannot allow for owners to decide who to do business with because it hinders the society, my argument is that the society is self-regulating and when it encounters an obstacle in its path, it will think of an alternative.
The historical evidence, as well as common sense, are very much against you on this one. Please see my other posts.

Last edited by Lacius,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I like how you switched from the generic sex offender, a term that references an act/crime, and your original point to a point about something that might be an immutable characteristic and abandons your original point entirely. That wasn't shameless at all. The mental gymnastics are strong with this one.

Regardless of whether or not an attraction to minors is an immutable characteristic (it probably is), the act of pedophilia is still an immoral crime and not immutable. Your new analogy is a false one, too.

I should also point out that this is the second time you've brought up pedophiles and/or sex offenders in the context of LGBT rights, which is an antiquated tactic.
This is a whole different argument springing from the immutable charactristics you mention. If 10-20 years from now the evidence that peadophiles don't choose to be peadophiles becomes overwhelming and that it is, in fact, a "sexual orientation" of sorts, should we or should we not discriminate against them on the grounds of their sexual preferences? There are plenty of non-offending peadophiles, y'know. Some just hook up with youthful-looking partners or role-play, not every peadophile is a molester. The discrimination against homosexuals was validated by the fact that homosexuality was considered deviant, immoral, it was classified as a mental illness, but evidence suggested that it is in fact a biological trait, so it has been redefined as a sexual orientation. If peadophilia is a sexual orientation too, then your whole premise is faulty. If you discriminate or legislate against a non-offending peadophile and find them repugnant, you are no different than those who find gays repugnant, and for the same reasons, too. In that case, you'd be the bigot.
The historical evidence, as well as common sense, is very much against you on this one. Please see my other posts.
America exists because puritans were persecuted against on the old continent, the United States exist because people revolted against the crown, the fact that we're having this conversation de facto proves my point.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a whole different argument springing from the immutable charactristics you mention. If 10-20 years from now the evidence that peadophiles don't choose to be peadophiles and it is, in fact, a "sexuality", should we or should we not discriminate against then on the grounds of their sexual preferences? There are plenty of non-offending peadophiles, y'know.
Businesses should not be allowed to discriminate against groups of people based on immutable characteristics. That would include non-offending pedophiles. Do you have a point? My hunch is you don't, and you merely got backed into this line of reasoning because you didn't want to concede your original non-point about sex offenders.

The discrimination against homosexuals was validated by the fact that homosexuality was considered deviant, it was classified as a mental illness, but evidence suggested that it is in fact a biological trait, so it has been redefined as a sexual orientation. If peadophilia is a sexual orientation too, then your whole premise is faulty. If you discriminate or legislate against a non-offending peadophile and find them repugnant, you are no different than those who find gays repugnant, and for the same reasons, too. In that case, you'd be the bigot.
I'm getting a bit sick of your strawman arguments. I've made no points about discrimination against non-offending pedophiles, and yet you're using it as your entire basis for saying my premise is faulty. If you're going to be comically disingenuous, we can drop this conversation.

Your history on why homosexuality was removed from the DSM's list of mental illnesses is also a bit off, but that's irrelevant.

America exists because puritans were persecuted against on the old continent, the United States exists because people revolted against the crown, the fact that we're having this conversation de facto proves my point.
If you're going to say the discrimination against the puritans and the discrimination by businesses against groups of people in the United States are comparable, then I believe I've succeeded in my goal.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Businesses should not be allowed to discriminate against groups of people based on immutable characteristics. That would include non-offending pedophiles. Do you have a point? My hunch is you don't, and you merely got backed into this line of reasoning because you didn't want to concede your original non-point about sex offenders.
I was interested in your position on this. This isn't a debate, rather an exchange of opinions. I too believe that they shouldn't discriminate, however I also believe that they shouldn't be forced by the state not to - those are two separate beliefs.
I'm getting a bit sick of your strawman arguments. I've made no points about discrimination against non-offending pedophiles, and yet you're using it as your entire basis for saying my premise is faulty. If you're going to be comically disingenuous, we can drop this conversation.
See above. I was testing the waters to see who you would and wouldn't discriminate against and why.
Your history on why homosexuality was removed from the DSM's list of mental illnesses is also a bit off, but that's irrelevant.
There was sufficient evidence to believe that it comes naturally, so it was accepted as such, there's not much more to it.
If you're going to say the discrimination against the puritans and the discrimination by businesses against groups of people in the United States are comparable, then I believe I've succeeded in my goal.
Discrimination is discrimination. Puritans felt that they were treated unfairly so they moved, then American business owners felt that they were taxed unfairly, so they revolted against the crown. The blacks, gays, lesbians and other marginalized groups did the same thing - they utilized their agency to alter their environment, all in different, more or less effective ways. Power to the people, right?

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also believe that they should't discriminate, however I also believe that they shouldn't be forced by the state not to - those are two separate beliefs.
They're also two contradictory beliefs. The cognitive dissonance explains the mental gymnastics. You need to ask yourself whose rights are more important. I posed the question earlier.

There was sufficient evidence to believe that it comes naturally, so it was accepted as such, there's not much more to it.
Plenty of mental illnesses come naturally. What primarily got homosexuality removed from the DSM was the fact that it didn't fit the criteria of having a negative effect on one's life. This is just me being nitpicky, however.

The blacks, gays, lesbians and other marginalized groups did the same thing - they utilized their agency to alter their environment, all in different, more or less effective ways. Power to the people, right?
If a problem like discrimination is bad enough that a group sees the need for change, the only proactive thing to do is advocate for policy change. A discriminatory business owner who isn't affected by market factors isn't going to say, "Oh, well they're organized and saying 'please' now. Better change my ways."

Last edited by Lacius,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They're also two contradictory beliefs. The cognitive dissonance explains the mental gymnastics. You need to ask yourself whose rights are more important. I posed the question earlier.
They are not, there's no dissonance, just very specific wording. "Shouldn't" doesn't equate to "can't". I think it's an unfair and poor way to do business, that is *my opinion*. I don't like when emotions or beliefs enter the sphere of the free market, but the market should be free nonetheless. If an owner wants to hurt their bottom line due to personal beliefs, I can't fault them for that, even if I disagree with those beliefs. Stupidity isn't illegal, nor it should be. As owners they should do whatever they think is right, on principle, even if I find what they do unfair, because the principle holds more value.
Plenty of mental illnesses come naturally. What primarily got homosexuality removed from the DSM was the fact that it didn't fit the criteria of having a negative effect on one's life. This is just me being nitpicky, however.
Correct, for instance schizofrenia. Peadophilia doesn't have a negative effect on one's life either if we apply those criteria.
If a problem like discrimination is bad enough that a group sees the need for change, the only proactive thing to do is advocate for policy change. A discriminatory business owner who isn't affected by market factors isn't going to say, "Oh, well they're organized and saying 'please' now. Better change my ways."
Advocate? Yes. Legislate? No. You're saying that vinegar is attracts more bees than honey, you won't garner support or change anyone's mind by using the rod. I'd be happier with incentives rather than penalties, if you're adamant that intervention is necessary.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct, for instance schizofrenia. Peadophilia doesn't have a negative effect on one's life either if we apply those criteria.
The difference between pedophilia and homosexuality is that when a pedophile acts on his or her impulses, statutory rape occurs, which will invariably psychologically harm any child regardless of whether or not physical harm takes place (although physical vs. psychological could even be debated at this point, given that people with PTSD have actually been proven via brain scans to have had their brain structure altered), while when a homosexual acts on his or her impulses (with another consenting adult/teen of the same age), there is no psychological or physical harm being done to either of the two people

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are not, there's no dissonance, just very specific wording. "Shouldn't" doesn't equate to "can't". I think it's an unfair and poor way to do business, that is *my opinion*.
>groups shouldn't be discriminated against
>groups should be allowed to be discriminated against

Those are two contradictory positions. It's up to you to figure out which one is more important than the other.

I don't like when emotions or beliefs enter the sphere of the free market, but the market should be free nonetheless.
I don't think you know what a free market is when you believe groups of people can be excluded from it. A free market doesn't mean people get to do whatever they want. Companies can't poison people or be otherwise negligent.

As I've said more times than I care to remember, there's a price to being allowed to participate in a business that caters to the public. If you're going to run a business that caters to the public, then one of the requirements is that you cater to the public. A business also benefits from government-provided services, such as roads and asset-protection. If the price of admission (freedom, for example) is too high, then one shouldn't be running a business.

If an owner wants to hurt their bottom line due to personal beliefs, I can't fault them for that, even if I disagree with those beliefs. They should do whatever they think is right on principle, even if I find it unfair.
What about when it doesn't hurt their bottom line, which it usually doesn't? You don't appear to have thought this part through.

A predisposition for child-rape and/or being sexually unfulfilled and celibate for the entirety of one's life are pretty negative.

Advocate? Yes. Legislate? No. You're saying that vinegar is attracts more bees than honey, you won't garner support or change anyone's mind by using the rod. I'd be happier with incentives rather than penalties, if you're adamant that intervention is necessary.
Can you give me an example of incentives that would work? Because if these incentives don't work nearly 100% of the time, then people are still being excluded from participating in the public goods and services system.

I also want to quickly note that what you're describing sounds a lot like the criticisms of the feminist movement back in the day. "If only you ladies stopped being such cunts and asked nicely."

The difference between pedophilia and homosexuality is that when a pedophile acts on his or her impulses, statutory rape occurs, which will invariably psychologically harm any child regardless of whether or not physical harm takes place (although physical vs. psychological could even be debated at this point, given that people with PTSD have actually been proven via brain scans to have had their brain structure altered), while when a homosexual acts on his or her impulses (with another consenting adult/teen of the same age), there is no psychological or physical harm being done to either of the two people
Thank you, Captain Obvious. :ha:

A victimless crime isn't a crime. Go figure. This isn't even something that should be a part of this discussion.

Last edited by Lacius,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/WwFuB1GRKz4