Hacking [Poll] Bans and "send information about the console to Nintendo"

Were you banned, and did you have this option enabled?

• I have it enabled and was banned

Votes: 328 32.1%
  • I have it enabled and was NOT banned

Votes: 359 35.2%
  • I have it disabled and was banned

Votes: 53 5.2%
  • I have it disabled and was NOT banned

Votes: 281 27.5%

• Total voters

Crimson-Fyre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure when i got banned but i had that spotpass stuff turned on too however i dont even have a friends list or play online at all but still got hammered lol ... (and yes i do have illagitimate software installed) ... prolly what did it .... but thats ok as i really am not feeling a loss as i never used online to begin with lol

edit : i am still able to access Eshop however i prefer Freeshop

Last edited by Crimson-Fyre,

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any way to check a ban other than the friends list app? Surprisingly for some of you, I have NEVER gone into it lol. My 3DS is online, but I do not play MP games on it. When it was starting to setup the friend's list app I backed out.

My spotpass settings were all set to on, so I'm interested to see if my anecdotal evidence will be ban or not. I might be one of the few people who has never loaded up the friends list before.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a quick way to check if i've been banned? I have three o3ds which i have not gone online with this last week. I'm kind of scared to check. :rofl:

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there any way to check a ban other than the friends list app? Surprisingly for some of you, I have NEVER gone into it lol. My 3DS is online, but I do not play MP games on it. When it was starting to setup the friend's list app I backed out.

My spotpass settings were all set to on, so I'm interested to see if my anecdotal evidence will be ban or not. I might be one of the few people who has never loaded up the friends list before.

Hey Audioboxer haven't seen you in ages! :D

Yeah just load a game like Pokémon Sun and Moon and try to access its online functions to see if you are banned or not.

Reactions: Audioboxer

Blackey008

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there a quick way to check if i've been banned? I have three o3ds which i have not gone online with this last week. I'm kind of scared to check. :rofl:
Also disable first system settings -> internet settings -> spotpass with your connection off and then try to open friend list.

Reactions: Stephano

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So this is my current hypothesis on the bans (copy-pasting):
"This assumes they aren't banning everyone at the same time and that they'll do so in waves.
The spotpass "send info" option is automatically on straight from the initial console setup (when you accept the TOS), and many people didn't know it even existed.
Others were banned without it, but it seems to be the biggest factor.
So the other factor needs to be something *fewer* people trigger, and the friends list "share currently played title", as I was told, is opt-in (it asks you if you want to); it also requires you making a mii and going to the friends list. It also is less likely to catch you, as it only gets the title you are playing in a given moment and not all titles.
So if these are the factors, it makes sense that the former has a significantly greater impact.
Both factors technically make sense as they both seem to send title IDs (of what you installed and of what you're playing) to the servers."

Last edited by Aurora Wright,

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the ban doesn't cover all games.
I'm blocked from Pokemon sun/moon but i have no problem syncing in badge arcade or Pokemon shuffle.

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey Audioboxer haven't seen you in ages! :D

Yeah just load a game like Pokémon Sun and Moon and try to access its online functions to see if you are banned or not.

Will give it a go for science! I had the initial knee jerk reaction to turn off spot pass and my WiFi. Interested to confirm, however. Plus I'll be one of a few people who can say my friends list app was never up and running. I've read others say it broadcasts what you're using, such as FBI.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So this is my current hypothesis on the bans (copy-pasting):
"This assumes they aren't banning everyone at the same time and that they'll do so in waves.
The spotpass "send info" option is automatically on straight from the initial console setup (when you accept TOS), and many people don't know it even exists.
Others were banned without it, but it seems to be the biggest factor.
So the other factor needs to be something *fewer* people trigger, and the friends list "share currently played title", as I was told, is opt-in (it asks you if you want to); it also requires you making a mii and going to the friends list.
So if these are the factors, it makes sense that the former has a significantly greater impact.
Both factors technically make sense as they both seem to send the title IDs of what you installed to the servers."

This is the same conclusion I reached.
Anyway, is it hypothetically possible that in a future 3DS Firmware upgrade when Nintendo starts doing secret data gathering Luma3DS could detect or block said data from reaching Nintendo?

Last edited by phalk,

suzsuzuki

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is the same conclusion I reached.
Anyway, is it hypothetically possible that in a future Firmware upgrade Luma3DS could detect or block secret data sending even with those options turned off?

Maybe if the CFW is one of the main cause, Aurora can help us with a patch to back to play online and avoid send infos for Ninty

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Something just ocurred me:
If someone had Spotpass off and was showing was was being played to their friends and those friends had spotpass on maybe that's how they got banned.

This would explain why most people with few or no friends registered (my case and several others) haven't been banned.

Reactions: Three-

Audioboxer

Trophies
XP
Country
Will give it a go for science! I had the initial knee jerk reaction to turn off spot pass and my WiFi. Interested to confirm, however. Plus I'll be one of a few people who can say my friends list app was never up and running. I've read others say it broadcasts what you're using, such as FBI.

Okay, I'm banned. Loaded up Mario Kart 7 and it won't let me go online. As I said above I have pretty much NEVER played anything online, and my friends list app wasn't even setup @Aurora Wright

Spotpass sharing was however turned on.

Now to see if it's a permanent ban from Nintendo or if they ever lift it.

Last edited by Audioboxer,

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was banned too. Oh well, looks like all the digital non-online capable games I bought will go to waste, while the physical games I own that do have online capabilities will just have to be played on my other 3DS. Oh well.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm curious, has anyone without the friends app showing their titles and spotpass turned off been banned yet?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste