Pokemon Direct - Pokemon Sword and Shield Expansion Pass and Rescue Team DX announced

Welcome to the Pokemon Direct. Are you excited to see what Nintendo and Game Freak have in store for the future of Pokemon? Let's find out what's planned for announcement in this new Nintendo Direct.

The first announcement is a remake of the original Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games from the GBA and DS, now in 3D. It's called Rescue Team DX. It'll release on March 6, 2020, and will come with a demo available after the Direct.

An expansion pass has been revealed for Pokemon Sword and Shield. This will allow for new adventures, at a cost, in the latest Pokemon games. Instead of saving this content for an updated re-release, the expansion pass will feature the re-addition of many older Pokemon, new costumes, brand new Pokemon, areas, and Gigantamax forms. This content will be split into two pieces: The Isle of Armor, due June 2020, and The Crown Tundra, due Fall 2020. There will be new places within these content packs, and they'll have unique differences between the Sword and Shield versions of the expansion, which are sold separately.

The Isle of Armor focuses on growth, where you'll allowed to challenge a new Pokemon Dojo. Kubfu is a new Pokemon, with its evolution, Urshifu. It has two different styles; it's either fighting/dark or fighting/water. The final evolutions of the starters will get Gigantamax forms, too.

Meanwhile, The Crown Tundra is about exploration. Calyrex is a new legendary Pokemon. There's new Pokemon Dens and older legendaries you can catch underground. There's also new unrevealed battle challenges to take on. More wild areas will be added.

Over 200 older Pokemon will be added back to the game in these expansion updates. Those who don't wish to buy the expansion pass will still be able to get the newly announced Pokemon via link trades, in a free update that'll be coming.

Pokemon Home is launching next month, but no other news is scheduled for it right now.

Galarian Slowpoke and certain Gigantamax forms will be more common, such as Lapras, in an update later today.

Pokemon Sword and Shield's Expansion Pass will each cost $29.99 per game for the Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra separately. You can pre-order them now.

If you own both games, you'll need to buy the Expansion Pass for both Sword and Shield seperately. Each game's DLC is $29.99, meaning if you play Sword, and buy its respective Expansion, it'll cost $29.99 to play the Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So, I don't get it. People are bitching about DLC, but would probably shell out another $60 for an "ultra" or "complete" version.
atleast it would get a complete physical release without needing internet download xD, hopefully they release a complete sword/shield version after all dlc is released for 60, so if you bought sword you could get shield + shield dlc all in one go it would be preety good imo.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in the old days when I first played Pokemon during Gen 3 you had to do just that. The only way to get the Johto starters was through Emerald. Not to mention all the Kanto and Johto Pokemon that you could only get through FireRed and LeafGreen, or Coliseum and XD. Of course, DLC wasn't an option back then so they really couldn't do much about it beyond extending development time or releasin g them in additional products. Here they could, but chose not to for whatever reason.

true it was more fun that way. it was like DLC before DLC became a thing.

MiiJack

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Has anyone of you ever gone to a Pokemon event (I never did)? Imagine that the dlc is the fee to go to an event. It's not for everyone.

A-Hacked-Soul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems that even without buying the DLC you could still trade for them at least, so that's better than nothing; It's good that the National Dex wont be completely dead now.
Back in my day we had to buy both fire red and leaf green to complete our Ruby national deck! *shakes walking cane in the air*

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looks like I'm genning the Pokémon in once the expansions release. Paid DLC, for a game that's already shitty at a $60 USD price, no thanks.
Has anyone of you ever gone to a Pokemon event (I never did)? Imagine that the dlc is the fee to go to an event. It's not for everyone.
You can actually win money at tournaments (or you used to be able to, I heard a few years ago they were changing it to cover people's college tuition instead). Here you're paying for Pokémon that were removed from the game, and a couple new ones. I'll be happy if this replaces the third version/sequels they usually do. But they'll probably still be doing the third version anyway.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, not gonna support a company who makes up bullshit "we had to cut Pokemon due to models and animations being hard to make for 800 Pokemon", and
then two months later decides to add them back in. What kind of lazy developers do they have working and why are people so quick to blindly defend them again?

Something whatever

Gazer of the East
Trophies
Website
www.pixiv.net
XP
Country
United States
The DLC is not going to fix the base game at all mind you, still butt ugly textures in the wild area and pop in, the online mode is worse then SUMO *and that was a joke in itself*. sure it was fun but it felt like buying expensive pizza and getting no toppings or drink with it.

Last edited by Something whatever,

Brigand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm not too upset about the expansion pass. It's cheaper than buying a 3rd game which would normally have more features, which they definitely could have done. They had the chance to literally have the national dex as DLC, but instead they're adding it gradually along with extra stories and areas, and I can respect that far more than having to pay $3.99 for Squirtle's evolution line.

The Mystery Dungeon remake is cool, I noticed a playable Lucario in the trailer which means they may have added some more Pokemon instead of just doing a simple remake, which is nice. Am I the only one that isn't a huge fan of the art style though, at least outside of the dungeons?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Don't really have my panties in a bunch over a $30 expansion pass, that's pretty bog standard these days. If it only included the cut Pokemon that'd be one thing, but it seems to add quite a bit of content aside from that.

Never got around to playing the Mystery Dungeon games before, I'll have to check out the demo.

Reactions: DANTENDO

NumberXIIIEdwin

Jack In! MegaMan, Execute!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
without the DLCs you can not evolve new slowpoke at all. A youtuber maxed it out with rare candies. It evolves based on location. Seems it’s evolutions weren’t included with today’s free update to prevent players from getting them w/o the dlc by modding.

They didn’t pay attention to the Direct at all then, because it was explicitly stated that you wouldn’t be able to evolve the Slowpoke without the use of an item that’s in the expansions, one that evolves into Slowbro in the Isle of Armor and another one in the Crown Tundra that evolves it into Slowking.

Reactions: chartube12

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Only patching in ~200 instead of ~400 Pokemon? Charging us $30 per DLC? Fuck that.
Will this bring back missing moves, like Return and Hidden Power?

Also, Red/Blue Rescue Team had ALL 386 Pokemon in it, plus a Munchlax NPC. Will Rescue Team DX have all 890 Pokemon, or will it be like Gates to Infinity and be incredibly freaking disappointing?

MurraySkull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed, $10 would have made MUCH more sense, given the amount of content compared to the base game. (the returning pokemon don't count, since they can transferred via HOME)

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As long as they eventually add the national dex list back in, I am content. I made my peace that they wouldn't listen until after the games were released anyway. Until then, I won't be buying the games.

As for PMD DX, I thought the artstyle looked nice. Seeing the promotional artwork style be fully realised in-game was like seeing Sugimori artstyle Eevee in XY.

Reactions: DarthDub

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1