Hacking Playing latest releases on 3DS w/gateway. Emunand needed?

Bloodlust

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Hi, it has been quite sometime since I upgraded my gateway's firmware which is still currently at v2.3. I am just a casual game player who does not bother about eshop. Sometime back, I heard that emunand was required for the latest releases which I am still hesitating to install as doing it wrongly will update my 3DS firmware to the latest.

Can someone guide me on :

1) Do I still need emunand for the latest games on GW 2.6 firmware?
2) If yes, can someone show me a guide on how to update my 3DS to the latest emunand which is foolproof so that I don't accidentally update my 3DS's firmware instead? I also heard that I can update my emunand using a rom's firmware system update which is supposed to be safer as compared to be doing it online.

Much appreciated. Thanks!

_eyCaRambA_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Not sure which FW your Emunand is on right now, I think 8.x should be sufficient for all games that are out at the moment. Updating to 9.x doesn't hurt tho, since the theme feature makes it easy to differenciate between Sysnand and Emunand. :D
2. Put latest GW launcher on your SD card, enter Gateway mode, go to system settings. Make sure you see "GW x.xx" there, so you know you're not in Sysnand. Update via Wifi. Obviously make a backup of your Emunand and Sysnand before proceeding if you haven't already - just in case. Updating via ROM system update is not much safer and as far as I know there is no game with 9.xx update partition at the moment.

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
Yes, emuNAND at 9.2 is for latest games, like Pokemon.

To be sure to update correctly :
- in your sysNAND (4.x) just enter 3 fake infos in Internet parameters :)
- put the GW 2.6 launcher.dat on your SD card
- update emuNAND but double check that before this you are in GW mode (GWxxxx letters in the upper screen of parameters menu in GW mode).

Reactions: Sirius64

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Basic rules for Gateway users:
1- You must update through your EmuNAND's System Settings. This can be easily verified by looking at the version number on the top screen. It should say "GW3D" instead of "Ver.".

2- Everytime you leave System Settings, the 3DS reboots and you're sent back to your SysNAND.

Optional but relevant - create 3 dummy wifi connections on your SysNAND. Just add the SSID and save.
Your EmuNAND's settings may ocasionally be copied to your SysNAND and that stops it from happening with the WIFI settings.

Reactions: Sirius64

Bloodlust

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Basic rules for Gateway users:
1- You must update through your EmuNAND's System Settings. This can be easily verified by looking at the version number on the top screen. It should say "GW3D" instead of "Ver.".

2- Everytime you leave System Settings, the 3DS reboots and you're sent back to your SysNAND.

Optional but relevant - create 3 dummy wifi connections on your SysNAND. Just add the SSID and save.
Your EmuNAND's settings may ocasionally be copied to your SysNAND and that stops it from happening with the WIFI settings.

Hi, to be clear do you mean everytime I exit from the Emunand's system settings, the 3DS reboots and brings me back to my SysNAND? What's the advantage of creatomg dummy wifi connections on the SysNAND?

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi, to be clear do you mean everytime I exit from the Emunand's system settings, the 3DS reboots and brings me back to my SysNAND? What's the advantage of creatomg dummy wifi connections on the SysNAND?
Yes, it reboots everytime.
Also I wrote the advantage of creating dummy wifi connections. If you leave them empty your emunand's settings will be copied over to sysnand whenever you change them, allowing your system to download updates when you forget it on sleep mode out of emunand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-