Hacking Playing Gamecube on Wii ?

Birdman2828

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, i have a 4.3U softmodded wii, it has the usbloader gx and the homebrew(no applications in there yet). Is it possible to play gamecube games i download and put on my usb hard drive?
Thanks for your help.

iamatmylimit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
not using a conventional usb loader...the gamecube never had a usb slot so when gamecube mode is on for the wii the usb slot cant be used....they said it would be impossible to get it to work but someone did.i forgot his name but his way was complicated...i think theres 2 ways now and one of them is IDE-EXI like plasma said....

Birdman2828

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the info, i will read up on the IDE-EXI adapter.
About playing from backup dvd's, i am not sure it is possible, my wii is new and i've been told i can't play wii burnt games so i guess it is the same for gamecube burnt dvd's?
Is is possible to play Original gamecube disks on the wii?
thanks again

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
iamatmylimit said:
not using a conventional usb loader...the gamecube never had a usb slot so when gamecube mode is on for the wii the usb slot cant be used....they said it would be impossible to get it to work but someone did.i forgot his name but his way was complicated...i think theres 2 ways now and one of them is IDE-EXI like plasma said....
Unfortunately not technically true.

The said it was impossible, someone then went on to prove this to be the correct case.
Whilst you can still access the usb ports via crediar's method, you just can't sort the memory issues out and thats where it falls into the impossible territory

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Birdman2828 said:
About playing from backup dvd's, i am not sure it is possible, my wii is new and i've been told i can't play wii burnt games so i guess it is the same for gamecube burnt dvd's?
Exactly. Sorry, but backup gamecube games simply won't happen on your wii (unless you replace the DVD-drive). Retail gamecube games work fine, though. Those have, and always will, be supported by nintendo.

A bit further information: Birdmaniamatmylimit and donkey plonk are refering to Dios Mios. This was a project from Crediar. It worked in that way that it proved once and for all that it is technically possible to play gamecube games (according to rumors, one or two games actually work). However, as donkey plonk pointed out: things became just too technically complex to make it worth pursuing. Especially not with very reasonable alternatives.
EDIT: changed wrong name.

-not yet mentioned is WODE. This drive chip has gamecube usb support among its features.
-emu-kidit is busy working on swiss, a gamecube application to load gamecube games from the memory ports rather than from the DVD drive. This program is still in beta, but quite a few games are very playable already. And works on the wii roughly the same as on the gamecube. The IDE-EXI cable is one way to connect an external hard drive (unfortunate enough: an IDE hard drive) to your gamecube/wii, allowing lots of games to load from that.
-swiss also works with SD gecko's. Using swiss and this device (sold at places for less than 5 bucks) allows loading your gamecube games from SD card.

alexcalibur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to compile and run dios mios back when it was released, and it was buggy, to put it nicely. Many games would boot, but they had terrible audio problems, slowdown, and were generally crashy. Most games were unplayable.

I do personally use swiss though, on a wii with an sd gecko, and while it isn't perfect, it is good enough (to me) that games are completely playable. So that's my recommendation if you're looking for something like this.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
-not yet mentioned is WODE. This drive chip has gamecube usb support among its features.
-emu-kidit is busy working on swiss, a gamecube application to load gamecube games from the memory ports rather than from the DVD drive. This program is still in beta, but quite a few games are very playable already. And works on the wii roughly the same as on the gamecube. The IDE-EXI cable is one way to connect an external hard drive (unfortunate enough: an IDE hard drive) to your gamecube/wii, allowing lots of games to load from that.
-swiss also works with SD gecko's. Using swiss and this device (sold at places for less than 5 bucks) allows loading your gamecube games from SD card.

Sadly, the WODE is not cheap. Last I checked it was around 100 USD, right? But damn those things are nice... definitely the most elegant solution to GC and Wii backup loading.

Also not mentioned is the Sundriver, but I have never used one and hear very little about them, so I can't give any suggestion or caution of them.

Swiss does work quite well with an SD Gecko. If you wanted an SD Gecko, pick up this: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wiikey-sd-car...er-for-wii-3993 Probably the best price you are gonna get on one. I got one and it works fine, a friend got one and the top of the SD card slot was bent in though. HOWEVER, it was EASILY fixed by taking the Gecko apart, then pushing the top of the slot out with a screwdriver.

WiiBricker said:
IDE-EXI is not an option since they are sold out.

OP could always make one, though, given he has the technical skills and resources...

QUOTE(Bladexdsl @ Mar 25 2011, 02:40 AM)
wiikey will let you play backup cube games i do it all the time.

But only if you have a non D3-2 drive, right?

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
plasma dragon007 said:
Wever said:

Sadly, the WODE is not cheap. Last I checked it was around 100 USD, right? But damn those things are nice... definitely the most elegant solution to GC and Wii backup loading.

Also not mentioned is the Sundriver, but I have never used one and hear very little about them, so I can't give any suggestion or caution of them.

Swiss does work quite well with an SD Gecko. If you wanted an SD Gecko, pick up this: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wiikey-sd-car...er-for-wii-3993 Probably the best price you are gonna get on one. I got one and it works fine, a friend got one and the top of the SD card slot was bent in though. HOWEVER, it was EASILY fixed by taking the Gecko apart, then pushing the top of the slot out with a screwdriver.

WiiBricker said:
IDE-EXI is not an option since they are sold out.

OP could always make one, though, given he has the technical skills and resources...

QUOTE(Bladexdsl @ Mar 25 2011, 02:40 AM)
wiikey will let you play backup cube games i do it all the time.

But only if you have a non D3-2 drive, right?

Correct on all counts mate

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries