Playing Gamecube on Wii ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Birdman2828, Mar 24, 2011.

Mar 24, 2011

Playing Gamecube on Wii ? by Birdman2828 at 4:43 AM (2,853 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Birdman2828
    OP

Newcomer Birdman2828 Member

United States
    Hi, i have a 4.3U softmodded wii, it has the usbloader gx and the homebrew(no applications in there yet). Is it possible to play gamecube games i download and put on my usb hard drive?
    Thanks for your help.

2. chop

Member chop GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
  3. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    No.

Get an IDE-EXI adapter or an SD Gecko, or load from backup DVDs. Your only 3 options.

4. iamatmylimit

Member iamatmylimit GBAtemp Regular

United States
    not using a conventional usb loader...the gamecube never had a usb slot so when gamecube mode is on for the wii the usb slot cant be used....they said it would be impossible to get it to work but someone did.i forgot his name but his way was complicated...i think theres 2 ways now and one of them is IDE-EXI like plasma said....

5. Birdman2828
    OP

United States
    Thank you for the info, i will read up on the IDE-EXI adapter.
    About playing from backup dvd's, i am not sure it is possible, my wii is new and i've been told i can't play wii burnt games so i guess it is the same for gamecube burnt dvd's?
    Is is possible to play Original gamecube disks on the wii?
    thanks again

6. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Unfortunately not technically true.

The said it was impossible, someone then went on to prove this to be the correct case.
    Whilst you can still access the usb ports via crediar's method, you just can't sort the memory issues out and thats where it falls into the impossible territory

7. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    Yes it is (original), just insert and load as a Wii disk. Obviously you will need a GC pad as Gamecube mode doesn't support the Wii remote

8. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Exactly. Sorry, but backup gamecube games simply won't happen on your wii (unless you replace the DVD-drive). Retail gamecube games work fine, though. Those have, and always will, be supported by nintendo.

A bit further information: Birdmaniamatmylimit and donkey plonk are refering to Dios Mios. This was a project from Crediar. It worked in that way that it proved once and for all that it is technically possible to play gamecube games (according to rumors, one or two games actually work). However, as donkey plonk pointed out: things became just too technically complex to make it worth pursuing. Especially not with very reasonable alternatives.
    EDIT: changed wrong name.

-not yet mentioned is WODE. This drive chip has gamecube usb support among its features.
    -emu-kidit is busy working on swiss, a gamecube application to load gamecube games from the memory ports rather than from the DVD drive. This program is still in beta, but quite a few games are very playable already. And works on the wii roughly the same as on the gamecube. The IDE-EXI cable is one way to connect an external hard drive (unfortunate enough: an IDE hard drive) to your gamecube/wii, allowing lots of games to load from that.
    -swiss also works with SD gecko's. Using swiss and this device (sold at places for less than 5 bucks) allows loading your gamecube games from SD card.

9. Birdman2828
    OP

United States
    Thanks to all the replies. Your info has helped me understand.

10. alexcalibur

Member alexcalibur GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I managed to compile and run dios mios back when it was released, and it was buggy, to put it nicely. Many games would boot, but they had terrible audio problems, slowdown, and were generally crashy. Most games were unplayable.

I do personally use swiss though, on a wii with an sd gecko, and while it isn't perfect, it is good enough (to me) that games are completely playable. So that's my recommendation if you're looking for something like this.

11. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    IDE-EXI is not an option since they are sold out.

12. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    wiikey will let you play backup cube games i do it all the time.

13. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    But only if you have a non D3-2 drive, right?

14. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Correct on all counts mate