Playing dumps of own cartridge

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by LH1980, Sep 8, 2019.

1. LH1980
    OP

LH1980 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2016
    Canada
    Has anyone been banned for playing your own dump (xci) of your own game online?

I figure it might be safer going online with unique header key instead of scene dumps where everyone's going online with the same key.

2. stephrk398

stephrk398 GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2018
    United States
    Don't recall of any one specific report but it's not a good idea. Running XCI's requires running CFW. Running CFW while going online is a risk for a ban. The surest way to play online without a ban is to use emunand while having a clean nand. Play your legit cartridges on system nand, and use all CFW on emunand.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    SX OS is not safe to use online even if you never install any nsp or run any xci. People have gotten banned just for running SX OS, going online and idling in the home menu.

Albytrozz likes this.
  4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes, people have been banned and this should not come as a surprise to anyone considering people have been banned for updating their .XCI files in OFW. Just assume anything regarding .XCI files is at risk for a ban. If you want some names, @PatrickD85 and @Darth Meteos come to mind as prime examples

5. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 4, 2012
    Netherlands
    in front of a screen...
    Yep as @Draxzelex mentioned even being a whitehat "pirate" was not a good thing it seems. Own dumps nothing fancy and still got superbanned.

But well im ok with as mentioned before. I also have an ipatched system beside it so ... fun worlds either way. Still wish I could finally move those saves of the superbanned one ... but till this day that is not an option (right?)

6. Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos Entertainer

GBAtemp Patron
    Darth Meteos is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2015
    Australia
    Down Under
    It's true, I was
    Nintendo is a big meanie