ROM Hack Play NES, SNES, and GBA games on DSi?

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to be able to play the NES and SNES games I own on my DSi. Is there an easy way to do that? I have heard of R4i cards, wondering if that is still supported as i do not want to buy one and be out of luck. Thanks,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to be able to play the NES and SNES games I own on my DSi. Is there an easy way to do that? I have heard of R4i cards, wondering if that is still supported as i do not want to buy one and be out of luck. Thanks,
It's much better to do so on a 3DS, but there are NES/SNES/GBA emulators for R4.

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's much better to do so on a 3DS, but there are NES/SNES/GBA emulators for R4.

I bet its a lot better on a 3DS but I don't plan on getting one, I have an old DSi, and looking to see if its pretty plug and play easy to do. Is the software still out there to make it work or is it going to be hard to do?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet its a lot better on a 3DS but I don't plan on getting one, I have an old DSi, and looking to see if its pretty plug and play easy to do. Is the software still out there to make it work or is it going to be hard to do?
Get a flashcart, download the homebrew emulators. (i thin super card ds two has more processing power for GBA and SNES) download something like Gameyob or nesds and get some roms and play. :P

Reactions: CeeDee

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2DS?

SnemulDS/lolDS for SNES, nesDS for NES, gbaemu4ds for GBA

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NES, SNES, and GBA emulators exist for DS flashcarts, but you're going to have variable success depending on the game.

SNES compatibility list: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/SNEmulDS_Compatibility_List
GBA compatibility list: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Gbaemu4ds_Compatibility_List

Thanks for sending, is this list about the same for DSi?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I strongly suggest you get one.

I would but I am a casual gamer, I am 41 years old, just trying to see if I can make my NES and SNES and GBA games portable without doing a lot of work. Thats $200 I don't really want to spend. Just looking to see what is viable on a DSi thx though.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for sending, is this list about the same for DSi?
Exactly the same. It's the same emulator.

I would but I am a casual gamer, I am 41 years old, just trying to see if I can make my NES and SNES and GBA games portable without doing a lot of work. Thats $200 I don't really want to spend. Just looking to see what is viable on a DSi thx though.
2DS can be gotten for a little over $50, can be hacked easily with A9LH, and has a lot of good games.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can forget about GBA emulation unless you get a SCDS2. The DSi doesn't have a GBA cart slot so old methods like an EZFlashIV don't work here.

The Supercard DS Two has an on-board processor and is the best you're gonna get with a DSi.

It should also include NES and SNES.

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly the same. It's the same emulator.

2DS can be gotten for a little over $50, can be hacked easily with A9LH, and has a lot of good games.
Interested... is that hack free or additional cost? And is the 2DS powerful enough to play all the GBA, SNES, NES, Metroid and Zelda games?

Reactions: thuggothic

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interested... is that hack free or additional cost? And is the 2DS powerful enough to play all the GBA, SNES, NES, Metroid and Zelda games?
Free if you're below 11.0 firmware, yes.
GBA yes (GBA VC), NES yes (NES VC/RetroArch), SNES some (Snes9x 3DS port/blargSNES), Metriod/Zelda not ALL but plenty

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can forget about GBA emulation unless you get a SCDS2. The DSi doesn't have a GBA cart slot so old methods like an EZFlashIV don't work here.

The Supercard DS Two has an on-board processor and is the best you're gonna get with a DSi.

It should also include NES and SNES.

Sorry, not quite following...m3i zero or r4i does not work? What is the Supercard DS2? Thanks for the help.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, not quite following...m3i zero or r4i does not work? What is the Supercard DS2? Thanks for the help.
They CAN, just not well at all.
Supercard DS2 is a flashcart that has a CPU embedded into it, allowing for better (not perfect) SNES/GBA performance.

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so how does it work for a 3DS, is it easy to do on a 3DS? Or do I have to buy additional hardware? It looks like I can get a used 3DS for around $100

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so how does it work for a 3DS, is it easy to do on a 3DS? Or do I have to buy additional hardware? It looks like I can get a used 3DS for around $100
This guide tells you how to get it all set up for CFW, which allows installation of GBA/NES games. SNES is played using SNES9x for old 3DS.
If the 3DS is below firmware 11, it is completely free.

Certain sites contain "CIA" game files for 3DS, NES, and GBA games. Google "that chaos site" or "that ISO site"
After you follow the guide, you can install those and play them.

caliskier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guide tells you how to get it all set up for CFW, which allows installation of GBA/NES games. SNES is played using SNES9x for old 3DS.
If the 3DS is below firmware 11, it is completely free.

Certain sites contain "CIA" game files for 3DS, NES, and GBA games. Google "that chaos site" or "that ISO site"
After you follow the guide, you can install those and play them.

Thank you for your time... Clarity here..."SNES is played using SNEX9x for old 3DS" does that mean if I get the wrong 3DS I can't play SNES games on it?

Reactions: CeeDee

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your time... Clarity here..."SNES is played using SNEX9x for old 3DS" does that mean if I get the wrong 3DS I can't play SNES games on it?
Nope. There's an "old 3DS" (3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS) or "new 3DS" (New 3DS, New 3DS XL)
Both run SNES, though New 3DS does better. Old 3DS can use blargSNES and SNES9x for old 3DS, and new 3DS can use those, along with the better RetroArch and Nintendo's own Virtual Console SNES games.

You can't use official SNES Virtual Console on old 3DS, and while RetroArch works, it is VERY SLOW on old 3DS.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To simplify,

Method 1: DSi + Supercard DSTWO
  • Requires purchase of $40 flashcard
  • Has built-in emulators (if I recall correctly)
  • ROMs need to be placed on the microSD card, plug + play
  • NES and SNES should run at perfect speeds. GBA will be playable but stutter with heavier titles.

Method 2: 2DS/3DS
  • Requires purchase of console
  • Can be hacked to run custom firmware which then allows for unsigned software such as pirated games/backups and homebrew applications like emulators; i.e. you get a lot more than just what you asked for
  • Provides an alternative option to emulation for NES and GBA, which is injected Virtual Console titles. Nintendo re-releases some NES + GBA classics on the eShop and people rework the titles to run whatever ROM while still keeping the UI, features, and clean look of official VC releases
  • Plays NES, SNES, and GBA games perfectly
There is a method 3, which is to use an M3 Zero, R4i, or any other legacy flashcart like that but they won't do your needs any justice. If you're going to spend money you might as well go the extra mile to do it right.

Reactions: nix31 and CeeDee

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr